TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Morrison's GT 500

Vegas Rich

Obviously a true muscle and vintage Shelby enthusiast.

Absolutely a fan. At least in the looks and sounds department. Cool cars everyone of them. I just never realized how bad the handling was back then, almost laughable. Hard to get excited about 0-60 in the sixes and 1/4 miles in the 14's when 3's and 10s are done from the factory. The good thing to be derived from all this how far we have come. Great times are here.

If you want a good laugh, find some late 60s NASCAR road race footage. You will be amazed those cars didn't end up on their roofs. The Superbirds are a scream.

Too funny. Search on Youtube for Bud Lindemann car reviews. Cheap entertainment for sure. Can you imagine a "performance" car taking 211 feet to stop from 70 MPH and doing almost a full 360 in the process. That is what they show for a '70

Challenger, you gotta see this stuff to believe it.

No one knows where its at? I know at least two people looking for it as well

I think the car is in France that's my opinion. He loved his Shelby and took it everywhere and when he was living in France the car disappeared. Some said they seen him driving it over there but keep in mind the time frame and everyone was high but I know someone who has been looking for it the last 5 years and no luck

Is the VIN of the car known?

Yes and it is carefully guarded. When asked the answer is something like "you tell me the vin of the car you think is the missing treasure and I will tell you if it is the one." So far noone has claimed the prize. This is all documented too. Edited by twobjshelbys

That's stupid, why would the VIN of a dead rock stars car be "carefully guarded". Nonsense.

Because as soon as the vin is put out into the public some dirt bag will build a fake car with a reproduced vin and try and sell it for the real thing.

QSS

This is exactly the reason. Last I heard someone at SAAC had the details.

Edited by twobjshelbys

See below, I am not saying the following is accurate but it is an article posted in 2013 by one of the people who has been chasing this “mystery” and it took me all of 2 minutes to find. SO if its true.....so much for closely guarded secrets............And by the way, I don’t care enough to call to track down its accuracy but since some on here are claiming its some kind of top secret info........... here ya go:

Cut and pasted from an old article on the net:

Some facts about Jim's Shelby GT 500:

· Nightmist Blue metallic, parchment interior, no stripes, no a/c. alloy wheels close paired driving lamps.

· VIN 67402F2U00939

· San Jose built car, 02 07 1967

· Shelby finished car, 06 20 1967

· shipped on 0627 1967

· University Ford Sales, Champaign, Illinois, original receiving dealer

· re shipped to Stockton- Quincy Ford, Westwood, California 09 29 1967

* Article copyright 2013 by Patrick Smith. Images by PHS Media Archives and individual photographer credit and copyright is given where possible.

There is also further conversation about this same VIN mentioned over in the SAAC forums from 3 or 4 years ago.

Even if the above proves out to be untrue, its still not that big of a secret any way. The old registration is posted in several places on the internet with the VIN marked out with a black marker, however they did not mark out the License Plate number. Anybody with any connections to law enforcement or the DMV could probably with some minor sleuthing cross check that old license number against the VIN.

Edited by mhr1961

I've got a copy of the pink slip that was published in the Shelby American magazine, nothing blacked out, but it is a poor copy at best. There is almost nothing in in the Shelby World Registry that hasn't been printed up here, other than 'Present owner not known'.

I've got a copy of the pink slip that was published in the Shelby American magazine, nothing blacked out, but it is a poor copy at best. There is almost nothing in in the Shelby World Registry that hasn't been printed up here, other than 'Present owner not known'.

So are you saying the VIN that I found on the internet and posted in post #21 above is accurate?

Wasn't really looking for a congratulations, but thanks. Was just trying to verify accuracy because I was pretty sure I had read that this "mystery" VIN had indeed been solved several years ago and the known VIN wasn't some giant secret.

Edited by mhr1961

Well if SAAC concurs then I'm surprised a counterfeit hasn't showed up.

I’m not surprised that a counterfeit hasn’t shown up. Most good counterfeiters whether making “faux” money or “faux” cars strive to maintain a low profile and the really good ones don’t get caught. To make a counterfeit of this car would be quite stupid because it is sure to bring on lots of media attention and quite likely draw much law enforcement scrutiny. I don’t think a counterfeiter would want that. Of course there is always the occasional idiot who thinks he can get away with it…….

I think that the people who were chasing this rainbow were hoping to generate media hype to try and add some mystique to this car so as to jack the price up in case it ever surfaced.

While this car may someday magically pop up, I think it is way more likely that this Shelby had a date with a salvage yard car crusher long before Jim Morrison kicked the bucket and the French pronounced “ Monsieur Jim Morrison il est mort”.

Edited by mhr1961

"Rick Fattibene

June 1, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Hello

Ive actually been following this car for years. It is 67 Shelby # 939 and the footage on the PBS special is actually him driving the car. Unfortunatley the car was wrecked by Jim Morrison hard a few times .

In the movie " The Doors " that came out I believe in 1991 they recreate a scene where the car is wrecked but they use a 67 Shelby with a 1968 type shelby hood and not the correct 67 hood. Jim Morrison actually called the car " Big Blue " and it is referenced many times in the book " No One here Gets Out Alive "

Rumor has it that the car was sitting at a body shop when Jim Morrison died and was towed away by someone to be never seen again. The Shelby community has been looking for it all of this time not knowing where is survived or not."

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/blogs/under-the-hood/jim-morrison-drove-a-67-shelby-gt500

Edited by Secondo

"User said:

Original Post

I read about the Shelby in one of my many books on The Doors. I don't remember exactly which one it was. Probably No One Here Gets Out Alive by Jerry Hopkins and Danny Sugerman.

0F91H570075 said, May 16, 2010. #13

Yep, that was the book. I got the book off the shelf and found a few places where the Shelby is mentioned. There's no index, so I had to skim the book to find it.

Page 188 "He parked his car, a Shelby GT 500 Cobra (he never drove anything but American cars), in the lot of a topless bar next to The Doors' West Hollywood offices"

Page 212 Jim went to the Troubadour bar, where after getting nearly too drunk to walk, he convinced one of the waitresses to leave with him. On the way to the car, nicknamed the Blue Lady, he was approached by two homosexuals.

"Listen, that's not my trip," he said curtly. They continued to follow him and pushed their way into his car. Jim took off rapidly, pressed the accelerator to the floor, and wheeled onto Doheny Drive. He was on the wrong side of the road and speeding. There was a tree. There were screams, tires screeching, horns honking, and for some reason the car stopped when it hit the curb*. The doors flew open, the passengers were thrown to the ground unharmed, and Jim roared off into the night again.

The waitress returned to the Troubadour to call a cab. Jim reappeared, screaming that she had to get into the car with (continued on page 213) him. She refused, he was too crazy, she said, and Jim sped off, ending his spree less than a mile away where he drove the Blue Lady into a tree* on Sunset Boulevard. He was transported unconscious, but otherwise unscathed, to his hotel room.

Skip a paragraph

No one was hurt and a few days later the car was towed to the repair shop in Beverly Hills."

*Which is it? did it stop at the curb, or did it hit the tree? Was it on Doheny,, or Sunset?

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?49835-Jim-Morrison-s-Shelby#/topics/49835?page=2&_k=visivg

Edited by Secondo