TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New guy question- burnt clutch in 2013 GT 500

Looking for advice from those who have been there, broke that: Just bought my dream car '13 GT 500 'vert. about 7 weeks ago. Bone stock and had 18,800 mi - now has 19,300 miles and the clutch is toast. I guess I'm just lucky. I've enjoyed a little "spirited" highway driving, but have been too careful learning the car to really beat on it yet, so my assumption is that the previous owner traded it in, thinking an expensive clutch repair was on the way (or just coincidence?). The selling dealer is over 2k miles away, and I don't think there's much recourse to complaining about a 19k mile clutch in a GT 500. I've dug through most of the clutch-related posts here, and am leaning towards a McLeod replacement, but am open to any popular suggestions. I intend to keep the car stock, or very close to it, power-wise but want a (somewhat) economical, "more robust than the stock unit" clutch. Any and all constructive comments are appreciated!

Tom in central NC

Thanks for the input, it seems that either the Spec or McLeod is the way to go. I've decided on the McLeod (up to 800 hp model), its preferred by the shop that I'm using, and should be installed this Thurs. I'll definitely adhere to the break-in recommendations!

-Tom

• 6 months later...

I would avoid a Mcleod!!! I have the same car as you but I am the original owner. Use it as a daily driver. Got 45k mi out of my stock clutch and installed a Mcleod RST. It burnt out at 20K mi...Very dissappointed. Please see my post.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/93310-clutch-replacement-lots-of-personal-opinions-lots-of-choices/

Edited by nilrak

At times my tires would lose traction and it felt like the clutch was slipping. The tires don't always make any noise so you think it's the clutch. Do a light burn out and you will know for sure.

Hope this helps.

Put a McLeod RXT into my car, figured for the small increase in price I'd rather have room to grow the power down the road. Drive it into Atlanta in stop and go traffic and still taking all the power I'm throwing at it. No complaints here.

• 5 months later...
On 1/21/2017 at 3:28 PM, Tom71Mustangs said:

Thanks for the input, it seems that either the Spec or McLeod is the way to go. I've decided on the McLeod (up to 800 hp model), its preferred by the shop that I'm using, and should be installed this Thurs. I'll definitely adhere to the break-in recommendations!

I'm at ~22K miles on the original clutch in my 2013. Upgraded power last year, so I know it's on borrowed time. Considering McLeod, Spec, and Centerforce. All have their fans and detractors, with experiences to match.

I look forward to hearing about your experience McLeod, Tom.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 4:06 PM, nilrak said:

I would avoid a Mcleod!!! I have the same car as you but I am the original owner. Use it as a daily driver. Got 45k mi out of my stock clutch and installed a Mcleod RST. It burnt out at 20K mi...Very dissappointed. Please see my post.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/93310-clutch-replacement-lots-of-personal-opinions-lots-of-choices/

Note:  You went with the lower priced RST version.  The RXT handles greater HP and that is the preferred clutch offering from McLeod.  I have the RXT and no issues.  Also, break in period is critical for any performance clutch.  A lot of guys romp on the throttle too soon and this can also limit the lifespan of a clutch.  

Just to answer a couple of the questions: Since this was 1 year ago - I went with the McLeod RST (up to 800HP version) as I do not intend to modify, or certainly not beyond 800 HP. Based my brand decision on: preference of the shop doing the work (important!!), and CUSTOMER SERVICE/input from McLeod, Spec and Centerforce. Mcleod was the most responsive to my emails, and I got the feeling they would be the best to deal with after the sale if needed. Mcleod also offers a rebuild service on their units- not sure about the others. Super happy with it, but have only put about 4k miles on it since. I adhered to the recommend break-in (!), and have been fairly easy with it. One nice, noteworthy difference was that (at least in my case)- the McLeod takes MUCH less foot pedal pressure on the clutch pedal than the stock unit- so much so that I went back into the shop before leaving their parking lot to ensure all was "ok". It's a nice difference in using less leg strength to engage the clutch (haven't heard that from anyone else- maybe it's just mine?). IMHO - it's hard to judge which is best (McLeod, Spec, Centerforce), because install can affect performance, and we all have a different idea of how bad we should be able to beat on something before it breaks. There are too many variables to easily say which is best for you. I'm sure most of us think we're expert drivers and "shift like the Pro's" :-), but I admit that I'm an average guy that is fortunate enough to own an extraordinary vehicle.

7 hours ago, jimmym said:

I have 19k on my stock clutch, no issues, am I on borrowed time ?

The answer, unfortunately, is IT DEPENDS. Many factors, including power level (OEM or upgraded), driving style (Sunday drives or 1/4 miles runs at the strip), driver skill with the clutch, and the clutch itself, affect how long a clutch will last. I've read several reports (including right here) of them failing with just a few thousand (supposedly easy) miles on them. I've also read reports of them lasting thousands more miles, despite power upgrades and time at the strip.

My car was at stock power until last year and has been babied over 90% of of it's ~22K miles. That said, I've logged over 30 half- and full-mile race passes, including ~10 after last year's 733 RWHP & 713 RWTQ power upgrade. My clutch is still good, but I want to be prepared for its inevitable demise.  The clutch in a friend's 2014 with similar power upgrades failed at ~5K miles and less than 6 half-mile race passes. Go figure!