TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Save the original '09 Goodyear F1's or Ditch Them?

Bruce2009KR

I found out that after around 7 years or so many shops won't even mount the tire because it's dangerous at that point. Tires, even when properly stored, degrade and have a shelf life.

Unless you were selling to a museum that didn't intend to drive the car and were willing to mount the tires as such I think it's likely a waste to keep them. BUT you could always sell them on Ebay if you were so inclined.

Four choices...

1) Get drunk and roll 'em down a hill

2) Get high and set 'em on fire

3) use one to make a swing

4) or do the responsible thing, and have the tire store recycle them properly

The first couple are in jest of course...lol

To quote your final words of the thread title.....DITCH THEM!

• 3 weeks later...

It's got more to do with the DOT dates, than any tread life or collectibility.

They are simply NOT SAFE anymore.

End of story.....

I have had a tire separation issue on tires that are too old trust me, the DOT dates are there for a reason, they are not safe after about 6 years..,,,,,,,,,,,,, gg

• 3 weeks later...

I replaced perfectly good tires last year because they were 8 years old. They aren't worth anything.

Exactly I put too few miles on mine and get new rubber at least every five years regardless of treadwear. Also when buying look at mfg date. Last set was already a year old when I purchased them.

Edited by andrewnagle1964

I you've got plenty of room I would save them. Someday people will be restoring these cars and the original tires will definitely have a value. How much is anybody's guess but if everyone throws away their OEM Goodyears it could be a significant. I sold the original F60 Goodyear Polyglas tires off my 70 BOSS 302 for a $1000 bucks in the late 80's. They were useless for driving but for a show car they were valuable. I currently still have the OEM Goodyear Eagle GT's off my 84 Trans Am still sitting in the barn. They ain't eating anything and maybe they will bring a grand too someday.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...