TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New owner in NE Iowa

MrMax

Hello all,

New owner here as my new to me 2009 GT500 delivered two weeks ago. Black with white stripes Convertible. Ive been a gear head my entire life but sold my last muscle car 15 years ago to make room for more motorcycles. Time has passed and I will be thinning my herd of 14 bikes down to 10 or so come spring to help make room for my dream car. I have loved the look of the S197 since it came out in 2005, and the new style 2015+ just does not appeal to me in the same way. This being said I was on the hunt for a clean low mileage 13/14 GT premium convertible or an 08-09 GT500 as my budget would allow. The GT500 won out, because even in stock trim it was just so much more car to me.

The original owner had most of the mods done...Steeda 2.65 pulley, 123mm JLT carbon fiber cai, Magnaflow cat back exhaust and tuned by White Stallion Innovations. 20" Shelby CS1 wheels and MT Street radials. I have no plans to make big power with the car as it is going to be a cruise night or Sunday afternoon type ride for me.The car did not come with a hand held tuner as the shop tuned the car for 93 octane after the performance parts were added. The car runs very well and I have no reason to not trust that it was tuned correctly. i have ordered a SCT X4 with a custom 91 octane tune from Revan simply for my own piece of mind. I have also talked with the SVT/Rousch tech at my local dealer and he can re flash the stock ford tune for me prior to upgrading with the SCT X4.

Which brings me to my question...I have no interest in returning this car to stock form ever. So do I let the SCT X4 back up the current tune and have both custom 93/91 tunes saved, or have the Ford tech flash the factory tune prior to Hooking up the SCT X4 and have the original and the new custom 91 octane tune. I am thinking I can always have the car flashed back to factory tune if I choose to do so at a later date.But will loose the custom tune loaded in the car now forever if I have it flashed back to stock prior to using the SCT X4 when it arrives.

Thanks, and great forum and resources you all have here :)

Rob

..I have no interest in returning this car to stock form ever. So do I let the SCT X4 back up the current tune and have both custom 93/91 tunes saved, or have the Ford tech flash the factory tune prior to Hooking up the SCT X4 and have the original and the new custom 91 octane tune. I am thinking I can always have the car flashed back to factory tune if I choose to do so at a later date.

Seems like this would be the most logical solution for your situation.

And congrats on your Shelby purchase. If you haven't already be sure to Register your Shelby in the Shelby American Registry. See link below in my signature line.

Steve

Thanks for the welcome guys...Yes Steve logic tells me to keep both the 91/93 custom tunes so that is my tuning path going forward. There is not much I plan to change about the car, however here are a couple of my first farkles...along with a quality fitted cover for winter storage in the garage.

Convertible Style bar...

28veuro.jpg

Relocating the Shelby emblems...

sy7adt.jpg