TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil Change Sticker Shock

sebecke1

• 5 months later...

I will religiously care for my maintenance and records that will pass any audit and discovery that Ford might be inclined to throw at me in the future. My experiences in dealerships has tainted me beyond repair.

No one gets to wrench my stuff unless I have no other choice. And then, I'm gonna be the customer from hell. I've been on the other side of the counter and I get the game. Beyond that little point, almost everyone agrees with that no one will wrench your car with more TLC than you.

I'm a BIG believer in "If you want it done right, do it yourself". Pride of ownership is a wonderful motivator.

Edited by Grabberlicious

Had mine at the stealership last month for the second oil change, $124 for the oil change.

FYI took mine to the local dealer here (Tulare, CA)... ~ $150 for the first change, and they got the parts in for the recall fix in a week.

Just need to take it back for the fix now.

These prices are more realistic to what you should expect to pay. At $273, you got hosed my friend. Yikes!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just did my first one.  Amsoil 5W50 is $8.90 qt, or $106.80 for the case (to have two extra on hand) at dealer/preferred customer cost.  Then $7 or whatever it was for the cartridge filter from RockAuto.  The cost of doing my own work...$$Priceless$$.

• 1 month later...

So I finally did the first oil change on  the ‘16. 1572 miles on the clock. 1 yr and 8 months old. The oil was totally full on the stick, and not too terribly dirty. However....there was a wet ring of oil around the seam of the stock installed oil filter. That surprised me a bit. They must not have torqued the original filter. 

Put her up on the lift and did it myself. Bought the oil change ‘kit’ from LMR. $139 shipped to the front door. 10qts of Motorcaft 5W-50 Synthetic and a Ford oil filter. Used the wrench Ford sent to remove and tighten down the new one. For those of you that haven’t had the pleasure of doing it yourself, there’s a cool little trap door that gets removed to access the oil filter in the belly pan. :thumbsup:  What I wasn’t so keen on was the plastic drain plug on the pan..... :nonono:  

It feels less than positive, as you tighten it seemingly ONLY a 1/4 turn back into the plastic (composite) pan. I do NOT like the feel or the sensation of the lack of tightness on these plugs. :fear: Oh, and tightening that filter to near 18lbs with a torque wrench is a mind bender for an old car dude, raised on “hand tightening” only. 

• 3 months later...