TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Horse Power Question

I have a 800 HP Super Snake and my question is what makes the difference from the 850 HP and the 1000 HP Super Snake?

I would guess that your 800hp Super Snake is 50 state emissions legal as built by Shelby, oem exhaust except the catback, etc. and the 850 may be there also with a different tune than the 800? but once you start getting to the 900 and 1000hp levels, I believe the exhaust ahead of the catback is changed, like long tubes, the cams are changed and at some point the car requires fuel beyond what you buy at your local gas pump.

Here is some info. that I have...........

007_zpskxyvvmri.jpg

001_zps30hch6ez.jpg

008_zpsg9apv77a.jpg

R

Edited by Robert M

The big difference that caught my attention when i was shopping for a plan was that beyond the 850hp package, the process involved getting inside my stock engine and changing some of the components. I personally wanted to maintain the stock engine, so I chose the 850 for mine instead of a higher hp package. I believe that the 1000hp packages can still run on pump gas, but I am not 100% sure about it.

The big difference that caught my attention when i was shopping for a plan was that beyond the 850hp package, the process involved getting inside my stock engine and changing some of the components. I personally wanted to maintain the stock engine, so I chose the 850 for mine instead of a higher hp package. I believe that the 1000hp packages can still run on pump gas, but I am not 100% sure about it.

In the Shelby info. I added above for the 1000hp option, it says "Racing fuel required" in the small print. I am not sure if the 900hp option also has that requirement?

In the picture below, I am pretty sure I have seen Shelby information that refers to this "Hole-Shot Option" as the 900hp option, it does not require race fuel.........

020_zpsuhbsxuqc.jpg

I have also read Shelby information on the Shelby 1000 and it also said "Race fuel required".

R

Edited by Robert M

Ok, I see what you are referencing. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be. I think its still a bit confusing. On the Hole Shot package it references racing fuel as 91+ octane, but in the 1K hp package it doesn't give a specific octane number. I use 93 octane in my 850hp package as often as possible. Not sure if that is considered "racing fuel".

2012SSS26 - if you are considering taking your SS to a 1000 hp level, just consider supportability. Yea it would be nice to have a beast of a car, but it would sure be limited to where you could drive it or find fuel. If you want to enjoy it everyday at any location, might want to keep it street legal. just my 2 cents.

Ok, I see what you are referencing. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be. I think its still a bit confusing. On the Hole Shot package it references racing fuel as 91+ octane, but in the 1K hp package it doesn't give a specific octane number. I use 93 octane in my 850hp package as often as possible. Not sure if that is considered "racing fuel".

2012SSS26 - if you are considering taking your SS to a 1000 hp level, just consider supportability. Yea it would be nice to have a beast of a car, but it would sure be limited to where you could drive it or find fuel. If you want to enjoy it everyday at any location, might want to keep it street legal. just my 2 cents.

I would guess that the racing fuel is the 100+ octane that is sold at some Sunoco stations in a pump all by itself, last I knew it was like $10 per gallon, since fuel prices are down, it may be $8 now.

I believe Torco is an additive that could enhance street fuel to a similar 100+ octane rating.

This may be the race fuel Sunoco has at that dedicated pump................It has to be O2 sensor friendly for most modern street vehicles, which this fuel is..........

http://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuel/ss-100

*****EDIT*****

Below is the fuel that is at my local Sunoco station in a dedicated pump..............I looked it up by my city and zip.

http://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuel/260-gt

^^^^^^This is not the "normal" street fuel that is served from the multi-grade 87/88/89/91/92/93 pumps and it too is 100 octane.

R

Edited by Robert M

We went out for pizza tonight and just happened to be within a mile of the Sunoco I was speaking of in my posts above. When Shelby says "Racing fuel is required", I believe they mean this $10 per gallon fuel, not street pump gas...........

030_zpsl95va4ey.jpg

026_zpsugym8v2c.jpg

027_zpsesp6g3z7.jpg

R

Edited by Robert M

My friends that own a S1000 use pump gas. I filled up with them at a gas station out west. No booster either.

Just FYI

I have no doubt that these engines that say "Requires Racing Fuel" will run on 93 octane pump gas, but I have never heard of racing fuel being the same or equal to street octane gasoline.

................and then the question................is that 1000hp pressed to it's limit in performance on the lower octane street fuel?

R

Some Shelby 1000 cars have been to the Shelby Bash. I wonder what they have been traveling on.

The nice thing about these cars is the computer to adjust timing as needed for lower octane levels, this being said, if the car is pressed all bets are off as to longevity.

I would think I could drive my 725 Super Snake around on 87 or 89 octane also, but it would not be wise or safe to think that I could pull wide open throttle boosts with that lower octane fuel and rely on the computer to make it work.

Shelby on the other hand has to CYA themselves for everything from limping the car around on the street to wide open full boost top speed runs.

R

Edited by Robert M

I have no doubt that these engines that say "Requires Racing Fuel" will run on 93 octane pump gas, but I have never heard of racing fuel being the same or equal to street octane gasoline.

................and then the question................is that 1000hp pressed to it's limit in performance on the lower octane street fuel?

R

I think there are different tunes for the 1000's based on what you want to do. He could run his 1000 on 91. Also, the year I am talking about when I was at the gas station with him, the owner and Gary took it out on the track and warped the rotors after a couple laps....Id say it was being pushed to its limit. lol

SA uses pump gas, they drive to the local station just before you take delivery to top it off; as least they did with both of mine.

Is there a suggested "break-in" period from the time that the car leaves Shelby. I know when I received my 2008 back from Las Vegas in early 2009 there was a Shelby recommended break-in of 300 miles before the car was stretched. <<This would be well beyond any lower octane fuel that Shelby would install. From that point it would be the owners responsibility to follow the Shelby recommended fuel specs. for best results.

R

Is there a suggested "break-in" period from the time that the car leaves Shelby. I know when I received my 2008 back from Las Vegas in early 2009 there was a Shelby recommended break-in of 300 miles before the car was stretched. <<This would be well beyond any lower octane fuel that Shelby would install. From that point it would be the owners responsibility to follow the Shelby recommended fuel specs. for best results.

R

Most aftermarket clutch mfg. recommend 500 break-in.

Most aftermarket clutch mfg. recommend 500 break-in.

There was no clutch change on my 2008 Super Snake, back then the only options were Kenne Bell finish (Black or Polished), Front Baer brake caliper color and side scoops or block-off plates over the 1/4 windows. There was nothing changed on the engine except a new KB installed and in the driveline a 1-pc. alum. driveshaft and new FRPP 3.73's. I think the break-in was for the gears if I remember correctly.

There was a mentioned above of multiple tunes for the S1000, that could be.............but then if the lower tune and street fuel were used I would guess the engine was not putting out its advertised 1000hp, and it would require the upper tune and the racing fuel to get to the advertised 1000hp level?

I don't have a S1000 brochure, but I do have most, if not all of the Super Snake brochures and the option, horsepower and price changes from the earliest 2007/2008 flyer all the way through what is offered today for the 2007-2012 and 2013/2014. Somewhere in that information I think the 900hp and 1000hp options were first mentioned, and then later the "Super Snake Performance Upgrades" flyer that I pictured above.

R

There was no clutch change on my 2008 Super Snake, back then the only options were Kenne Bell finish (Black or Polished), Front Baer brake caliper color and side scoops or block-off plates over the 1/4 windows. There was nothing changed on the engine except a new KB installed and in the driveline a 1-pc. alum. driveshaft and new FRPP 3.73's. I think the break-in was for the gears if I remember correctly.

There was a mentioned above of multiple tunes for the S1000, that could be.............but then if the lower tune and street fuel were used I would guess the engine was not putting out its advertised 1000hp, and it would require the upper tune and the racing fuel to get to the advertised 1000hp level?

I don't have a S1000 brochure, but I do have most, if not all of the Super Snake brochures and the option, horsepower and price changes from the earliest 2007/2008 flyer all the way through what is offered today for the 2007-2012 and 2013/2014. Somewhere in that information I think the 900hp and 1000hp options were first mentioned, and then later the "Super Snake Performance Upgrades" flyer that I pictured above.

R

Yes, for the gears, 300.

Ironically I questioned the sales staff when I went to pick up my sig snake and they advertised track time with the purchase. "The gears, (nor the clutch on mine), are even broken in yet, why would I track it?"

Yes, for the gears, 300.

Ironically I questioned the sales staff when I went to pick up my sig snake and they advertised track time with the purchase. "The gears, (nor the clutch on mine), are even broken in yet, why would I track it?"

If you chose to do the track time and something happened, I would guess that they would say.........."sorry, it's yours".........

R

If we linked this post with the Shelby 1000 section, maybe we could get more input from a variety of owners.

That would be a good place, but it appears that the amount of discussion on that forum is low. I think the last post was about 11 months ago........

R