TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SYNC 4.6 Finally Available for Download

Norton

SYNC 4.6 (DR3T-14D544-AG or DL3T-14D544-AG) is finally available for download from https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/sync-my-ride.html. FWIW, here's my experience with it so far...

Following Ford's instructions precisely, I downloaded and installed the update. The good news is it APPEARS to have installed. (i.e., System Info shows software version DR3T-14D544-AG. I had to re-pair my phone. I now have a Reboot Sync menu option. After uploading the .XML file my SYNC account, once again, reports "Your SYNC is up-to-date!") The bad news is, having let the car idle while SYNC "installed" for ~30 minutes, I never got a single "Installation Complete" message, nor did SYNC reboot on its own. At about the 30 minute mark, I shut everything off, let it sit for a minute or two, and restarted. Upon restarting, I saw a popup that implied SYNC was installing a(nother) file. Then, with the exception of 911 Assist, the system seemed to operate normally. No number of reboots or re-pairs with my phone have solved the 911 problem. (SYNC keeps telling me it's not working and that I need to visit a dealer, which I'm unlikely to do.) I disabled 911 Assist, so it doesn't nag me anymore, and am hoping for improved system performance. I'll post additional observations when I have some, which might be next week, after I return from a business trip.

Edited by Norton

How long did the update take you? Mine sat at "installing file" for over 40 minutes with no finished notice before i had to shut it off.

Following Ford's instructions precisely, I downloaded and installed the update. ...the car idle while SYNC "installed" for ~30 minutes, I never got a single "Installation Complete" message, nor did SYNC reboot on its own. At about the 30 minute mark, I shut everything off, let it sit for a minute or two, and restarted. Upon restarting, I saw a popup that implied SYNC was installing a(nother) file. Then, with the exception of 911 Assist, the system seemed to operate normally.

• 3 weeks later...

The update improved Pandora stability and adds the ability to Reboot SYNC. Unfortunately, it broke 911 Assist functionality. While I'm not overly concerned about the functionality, its absence causes a break in music and an on-screen message every time I start the car. Setting it to OFF without Reminder does NOT fix this, which I consider typical for SYNC's flaky performance.

Obviously, YMMV.

I have got to thank Norton the OP for this thread. A few weeks back before joining, I just read the boards from time to time. I saw this and went over to the Ford Owners website registered my Shelby to download the Sync update. While I was thereI got a notice that the 3/36 was about to run out on 12/31/2016. I bought it used so I did know it was soon because the build date was 11/2013. The website offered me the extended warranty on my Shelby. So thanks to this Sync update I purchased the full extended warranty and premium maintenance plan from Ford. Called the local dealership and verified that the plans were correct for it being a Shelby. So for a little over $2k, I have a full warranty until 2022 and 7-8 synthetic oil changes plus wear items until 2021 So a big thanks, I don't drive her much, but the oil change I did when I got her home, 9x 5w-50, race filter, air filter and cabin filter cost be $250 from Amazon. Then the SVT service inspection I had done at the local dealership was another $100. So $350 a year, (cause I'll probably put less than 3K miles on it annually), times 5-6 years costs as much as the warranty and service plan combined. Big thanks!!

• 3 months later...

Sir Norton,

So after all this time, is it worth doing the upgrades, nav and sync? I really don't use it much other than for NAV and Bluetooth connectivity to iphone for music.

I'm also interested in installing a back up camera. What would be your suggestion on this?

Thanks.

It's coincidental that you posted your question today - I pulled the Shelby out of winter storage this morning (for the first time since November). I'm not a Sync, Nav, or camera expert, but I'm happy to share my observations/experience.

Sync - Upgrades are free, so definitely worth doing if you're experiencing difficulty with or unusual behavior from your Sync system. If it ain't broke, however, don't fix it.

FWIW, 911 Assist now seems to work. Based on having upgraded my Samsung Galaxy S4 to an S7 over the winter, I'd say the problem (which manifested only after upgrading Sync) was an incompatibility with the S4.

Nav - At $150, I consider this upgrade expensive, especially when compared to free lifetime updates for systems like Garmin or Google Maps via your smartphone. If you frequently drive the car in unfamiliar territory, though, it's worthwhile to have current map data.

Camera - Not cheap, but definitely worth it! Depending on the specific components you choose, you're looking at ~$500 in parts. Install isn't overly complicated - Evilcartman kindly documented highlights from his backup camera install here.

Edited by Norton

I finally updated my Nav system after having the disks for over a month. Haven't taken a long trip yet but will to Carlisle in June. I had it tell me twice before, "You have reached the end of the Navigational Grid", so I updated it. Both times were on back roads in rural S.C. and I haven't been back so I don't really know.

My first Shelby GT-500 (2011) didn't have the Nav System and I used a Garmin to get places. My '14 had it when I bought it off the Ford Dealership lot. But to me personally, the best system for navigational purposes have been my cell phone and using goggle maps or other systems updated continuality. I wish there was a system that allowed you to plug your phone into the vehicle and have the information come up on the in-car screen. Probably is, but I'm still lost in the 60's and 70's when it come to tech (LOL).

I agree with Norton above on the Nav System updates.

Edited by Bill Hamilton

I had it tell me twice before, "You have reached the end of the Navigational Grid", so I updated it.

Reminds me of when I took delivery of my Shelby in Elma, WA and drove it back to CO over the next few days... Along the way, my son and I had ample opportunity to play with Sync, Nav, etc. A few times, when we exited the Interstate (for gas, lodging, etc), we got a message that we were entering an area with "Incomplete Map Data." The system ALWAYS went on to recommend that we "Turn Left, with Caution," even when there was no place to do so. Haven't heard that since I updated, but we still joke about it.