TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Unable to rent GT-H reserved and paid for since mid May

mgh

After reserving and paying for a GT-H in mid-May to pick up today I was unable to get the car I reserved at DFW Airport. I went to the rental counter and was told that they would not rent me the car because I was a "local". I spoke to at least 5 individuals for over an hour without any success. I am very frustrated to say the least. Has anyone else experienced this or has anyone else been able to rent a car locally? Beside the car I had reserved there were 2 other GT-H cars sitting there. One looked like it had never been driven. I didn't get a refund for my reservation that I already paid for. I plan to call their customer service on Monday since they were not open today and try to elevate this as high as I can.

Frustrated in DFW...

I had this issue with the release of the 2006 GT-H as did my local friends. I think they were afraid that local renters would swap parts on their Mustang GT. I did point out the special check list of a couple of dozen parts that had to be reviewed on check out and check in and the stated replacement costs under the rental contract if anything was missing. Still no go.

Edited by 66GT350PS

I remember hearing early on that you had to have an airline ticket to get a car. They may take reservations on line to rent the car, but at checkout you needed to be able to show you were not from there. That said, I didn't even try to get one in Vegas, but thought about flying to Denver and doing a one-way to Vegas for the SAC party but instead I had to bring a whole bunch of tools in the truck.

I don't think they were worried that people would swap parts, but rather that the car would be (like the 60's versions) be a "rent-a-racer".

Edited by twobjshelbys

To clear up the speculation going on in this thread, here is some info

CUT AND PASTED FROM THE HERTZ WEBSITE:

The Hertz Adrenaline Collection features 7 specialty performance cars available at selected locations across the United States. The Adrenaline Collection vehicles require drivers minimum age of 25. Standard drivers license, credit card and rental requirements also apply.

The Ford Shelby GT-H has additional rental requirements that must be met in order to rent this vehicle.

You MUST present ALL of the following:

1. A valid United States or foreign country issued driver license;

2. A valid credit card with sufficient credit available and embossed with the same name as the drivers license. DEBIT CARDS ARE NOT ACCEPTED as a form of payment.

3. An additional credit or debit card embossed with the same name as the drivers license.

4. One (1) of the following forms of government issued ID, in the same name as the drivers license and credit card:

Passport (United States or foreign country issued);United States Military Identification Card;Foreign Driver License Provided which must be accompanied by a passport.

NOTE: If a form of government issued ID is not presented, Hertz may consider the acceptance of an alternate non-government form of ID. Acceptability will be determined when the ID is presented at the time of rental.

Hertz reserves the right to reject the ID as acceptable for qualification at its sole discretion and without explanation. If Hertz management rejects the ID, an alternate vehicle model will be offered for rental (pending standard rental qualification). An example of ID the Manager may accept includes a photo store member card (Costco, Sam's, etc.), a photo employee ID card, etc.

5. A return airline ticket or itinerary*+ in the same name as the driver's license.

Minimum Age 25 years old

Not eligible for intercity rentals Vehicle must be returned to the renting location

Not eligible for Friends and Family Discount Rentals

Shelby GT-H Pre-Rental Inspection Form will be completed on every rental. The vehicle will be inspected at pick-up and return in the customers presence.

*The return flight must depart from the location the Adrenaline Car rental originates.

+The return flight must be on or after the return date on the contract.

Edited by mhr1961

I spoke to Hertz Customer Support this morning and the individual stated that she spoke to their web support and they said the online reservation page doesn't specifically state that you cannot rent the car if you don't have a flight and it will let you make the reservation. Also, nowhere do they state that it is their policy. I asked specifically about this policy and she stated that I need to email Hertz Customer Relations to get an explanation. The customer support representative acted like she was doing me a favor refunding me the money that I paid 4 months ago and that she was doing it because I was a Hertz Gold member.

You can definitely make the reservation, but you must have an outgoing ticket/itinerary when you sign for the vehicle at the counter. After making the reservation online, I received an email confirmation and it mentioned that there were special requirements for that vehicle. I called customer service to ask what they were and they told me about the need for an airline itinerary. I booked a 1-way ticket to another city for about $75 that departed 1 week after I was scheduled to return the car. Once I left the airport in the car, I cancelled that airline ticket and got my $$ back.

Between making the reservation online and picking up the car (about 2 months) I called Hertz customer service and made sure I had all the boxes checked on the requirements. I made sure to talk to different people to make sure I was getting the same story. I felt comfortable I had all the ducks in a row, and had a very easy check out procedure at the Hertz counter at the airport.

I hate that your first try didn't work out. I am sure it is frustrating. I would tell you that it is definitely worth the effort to get into one of these vehicles for a couple days. It is so much fun.

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know how much these cars rent typically for? Mileage restrictions etc.. Thanks

I would suggest you contact the Hertz location you intend to rent from to get your questions answered. I've read there are some $ differences between locations. However, more importantly, check with the intended rental location as to car availability. The northern location (typical snow-belt areas like Chicago, Detroit) cars are being re-assigned to southern locations.

As Hertz-II mentioned prices and locations are a changing so I would call the exact location you want to rent from for the most accurate info.

Also if the location you call quotes you the $399 a day price I would ask if they would price match their other GTH locations lower price.

The two photo id's and plane ticket rules seem to vary by location. I suspect that's not intentional but just depends on how rigid the Hertz employee is.

Steve

PS- And don't forget to take pics of your GTH rental experience.

STEVE, ANY WAY OF KNOWING WHEN AND WHERE TO FIND THE GTHs FOR PIURCHASE WHEN HERTZ IS DONE WITH THEM?

A Hertz executive told me that they were going to rent the GT-H through the summer of 2017 and then they would be up for sale. I don't know if that is true but that's what he told me a couple months ago. He also told me that there was going to be no 2017 GT-H convertible.

I don't know how accurate all this is but that's my contribution to the gossip.

QSS

STEVE, ANY WAY OF KNOWING WHEN AND WHERE TO FIND THE GTHs FOR PIURCHASE WHEN HERTZ IS DONE WITH THEM?

Nothing has been announced yet but lets just say by Hertz moving some of the GTH fleet to warmer climate locations, that should be a signal they are not going up for sale anytime soon.

I'll also add that I know of a couple enthusiasts who have already tried to purchase one and Hertz wasn't biting.

Fingers crossed they'll still be in rental service for the upcoming Team Shelby Vegas Bash :)

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped using Hertz because of the 2016 GT-H and how they treated me like a criminal during the rental process.

I have been a decade plus Gold Member and my company has been using Hertz...Probably 500+ rental days per year.

I was flying into San Diego and decided to rent a GT-H. They treated me like a criminal, even stating, and this is a direct quote: "How do we know you aren't going to take it to Mexico and never bring it back.". Oh gee, how would you know that? Let's see, decade plus Gold member, frequent Hertz renter, rented both a 2006 and 2007 when they were in the rental fleet. Yep, I seem like a guy who would steal one of your cars. Plus, they made a copy of my credit cards (which is against PCI compliance regulations) and a copy of my retired Military ID (against Federal Law). The mouth breathing branch manager wasn't much better.

Hertz has absolutely NO IDEA how to treat a long term customer. Well, I have choices and I made mine.

I have subsequently changes both myself and my company over the Enterprise. Lower prices and better service, couldn't be happier. Now we just need a GT-E. :shift:

• 2 months later...

I was aware of all the stipulation do to trying to rent a 06 in Vegas when we were there in 06. They shot me down and I left with a 4.0 Mustang convertible I took my frustrations out on. When we left there were 8-10 GT-H's in the lot. When we returned the car we were allowed to rent the GT-H's were still parked in the same spot as the day before with more desert dust on them than the day before. I felt like a criminal as well back in 06. Last friday I had the pleasure of renting a 16 GT-H in Vegas. This time it was reserved a couple months in advance. I was still skeptical that It would actually happen. When trying to check in i was directed to a "Video Phone" where a agent was going to help me. He looked up my conformation code and verified that there was a GT-H set aside for me. He fumbled around for a few minutes and stated well I cant find a black one. How does a Red one sound today? I told them they didn't make them in red (my wife picked up on that and figured out what was supposed to be a surprise). A lady who worked for hertz came over to assist and she chewed his butt and hung the phone up on him. She directed me to a live person who helped get me checked in. Having a Michigan Drivers License she knew I wasn't local. She never asked for my flight itinerary either. I wound up getting the car with no other issues. We really enjoyed it and glad we did it. My rental fee was $318 and change with the extra insurance. I would love to own one some day. It was a treat to drive and was a all around better Shelby than the 06 GT-H we own.

No Rubber glove treatment :) I was pretty shocked though. When I pulled up to the return lane and parked i made her bark inside the parking garage a time or two. One of the gents working for Hertz started shaking his head up and down and smiling. I got out of the car and said sorry, I had to. He said It's all good! That right there is a Bad B!tch. They inspected the car and It passed so I was on my way. I was just about out of there and I heard it fire up. I turned around and it was the guy I spoke to earlier that was parking it. He put it in drive and let it eat right out of the spot. Sideways! he rounded the corner and was out of sight. I couldn't see him but i could hear him beating it. I was surprised they could get away with that. I didn't care. I just thought it was funny. I wish I could have got it with my phone.