TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cooler weather rim and tire combo?

sgtdon

I am new to site and just bought a 2014 GT500 with 187 miles on it 4 days ago. After reading some of the manual and talking to a couple people it was recommended that I put different tires on my car for cooler weather. I am looking for advise on what size rims and tires. I know you have to be careful because of the brake calibers. I called Ford SVT and all they only told me told me 19x9 in rims from a 2010-2012 GT500 and P255/40R-19 tires all around. Tire also must be V rated or higher and 93 load rated or higher. (same thing in manual) But going through the forum I see people putting different sizes on there cars, putting 20's all around, and mixing 19 & 20 in rims like the car came with. I am also concerned with aftermarket rims and sure they will fit. So for you people who have Shelby blood running in your veins can you please help me on this? We all had to start out like this and the only way we learn is by asking. If I could get some recommendations. :)

Edited by sgtdon

Am temporarily living in SE PA, myself, and made the same choice. Very happy with the AS/3+ so far. Never had a great feeling about the original GY Supercar tires.

Won't be driving the car in rain, let alone snow, but the AS/3+ will be great for the lower ambient temps.

Thank you fotontom. I ended up getting the MPSS AS/3+. :)

You made a great choice. I have these tires on my 850hp SuperSnake and I love them!! I have had no issues with traction driving in temperatures as cold as 12 degrees F, as long as it was dry. I have driven in the rain (carefully) and had no issues. I would still avoid any ice and snow, they definitely aren't snow tires.

• 4 months later...

Torched 10- 285 Rears appear only 104 according to both Michelin site and Tirerack (so only one option). The 295 rears are 101 or 105's. If you just street drive this get the 295 rears (either 101 or 105) as they ARE the tire that should have been on the car in terms of appearance, size, etc....especially since you are bumping the fronts to 275's.

I replaced my not worn out Goodyears. What a difference(good)! No trouble getting a set of 4 from TireRack. Took them them down to Ford dealer and had them put on.The fronts at times can be in short supply. Was the case for me but had a full set in 2-3 weeks.

In the Atlanta area I got the Michelin pilot SS 275/40R19 105 load front and rear 295/35R20 105 load. For $1236 OTD. Kauffman tire co. Used their credit card for a extra $50 off . They even ordered 285 for the rear so I could compare and the 295 fit perfect. Nice car enthusiast to work with. They take their time and do a good job.

Edited by mach 1 1970

In the Atlanta area I got the Michelin pilot SS 275/40R19 105 load front and rear 295/35R20 105 load. For $1236 OTD. Kauffman tire co. Used their credit card for a extra $50 off . They even ordered 285 for the rear so I could compare and the 295 fit perfect. Nice car enthusiast to work with. They take their time and do a good job.

So you got a Michelin dealer to mount 295's on stock 9 1/2" rims or do you have aftermarkets?

Michelin dealer installed and many people have gone this route. From what I've read the rims are wider then 9 1/2" . More like 10". Now the car doesn't snap the rear end sideways in second gear. The tires are less then 1/4" on each side of the rim wider then the 285.

The stock rim will measure 10" outside to outside but the correct place to measure a rim is between the rim flanges and it should measure 9.5 there. I know many people have put 295's on stock rims but I am just surprised a Michelin dealer would mount them given the Michelin tire charts I've looked at all say 10" minimum rim width for the 295. Good luck to you. I am going to get my tires mounted on my 11 x 20 Forgestars this week and see what happens. If I never log back in, I guess the Michelin Death Wobble got me....

No wobble @ all. Just much better hook up them the sorry ass GY's. 2014 GT500. Maybe the other years were having issues. Most people that have the 295's on the 13/14 haven't mentioned the death wobble. The internet is full of stories.

The 295's are not the main story of wobble. Jeeps and corvettes with 345 seem to be prone over the past 5 years.

All 662 hp hooks up in 2nd gear with these tires and the 12" tread. The goodyears would send the rear end sideways before the traction control could react. I will say the 295's are more like 305's in the 12" design. This is a must tire to have for the street. First gear you need launch control but second hooks up really well in 60 degrees and higher. The sorry ass goodyears felt like you were driving on ice in these conditions. If you want to track the 500 get the Michelin cup 2 tires.

Edited by mach 1 1970

My 750 HP Shelby SVT TP/PP is running.... P265 35 ZR 20s (Front)

P305 30 ZR 20s (Rear)

Bridgestone Potenza RE 076 Performance Summer Tires. (No Compromise Here). I do not drive it in any temperature below 40 degrees; nor during wet conditions.