TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2012 GT500 oil

Nulltime

I recently purchased a 2012 GT500 with 9400 on the odometer. At 11800 now.

Decided to get an oil change at a shop and brought my own oil a KMAN's oil change kit 7 Quarts of Motocroft 5w-50 and an frpp filter. Supposed to have 6.5 of that installed.

They came back and stated it needed another quart I was one short.

As I am new to these I did not realize what they had done until I got to my office about 5 miles away that they had in fact added 8 Quarts.....

I checked the stick and my jaw dropped at how overfull it was. Called them and drove it back at lunch VERY slowly and forced them to drain it back to 7 Quarts.

I drive very gently normally and never went above 2500 to 3k rpm at the highest (once briefly) during that time frame.

Not noticing any issues oil looked clean both at the stick and when they were draining.

1. Do you guys think I am ok?

2. Is 7 Quarts a problem? Looks like it should have 6.5

Thanks!

Edit: distance driven was 10 miles both ways total.

Oil still looks high to me though the stick is somewhat hard to read. Will make sure to take it damn easy and drain more ASAP.

And yeah lets hope I was lucky no way to really tell yet I guess? You would think a shop that specializes in Mustangs would not do something like this....they had a ton of Shelby's there too!

+1 You're fortunate the engine wasn't damaged by you driving it. You should check out the oil pan in case it was changed to a higher-capacity one or not.

That is a fair point....how would I tell if changed? Guessing not since oil stick had far too much on it.

That is a fair point....how would I tell if changed? Guessing not since oil stick had far too much on it.

You're right, The oil stick is the true indicator of the oil level regardless, but I may have a pic of the factory oil pan on my car. I'll look when I get on my computer.

• 5 months later...

Archived