TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Long Term Test Drive - 2008 Ford Shelby GT Convertible

Larry T

• 2 weeks later...

+1

For the record, the monroney shows the 3:55's were part of the 54U upfitters package not installed at SAI as mentioned in the M/T video.

To be fair the SGT shown in the Long Term Test Video did have its rear end swapped out with a new rear end containing 3:55 gears by SAI. That particular SGT was a pre-production model purchased from a local Las Vegas dealership without the 54u option. So Matt had it correct for that particular car.

But you are correct that production 2008 SGT's had the 3:55 gears installed by Ford.

Steve

To be fair the SGT shown in the Long Term Test Video did have its rear end swapped out with a new rear end containing 3:55 gears by SAI. That particular SGT was a pre-production model purchased from a local Las Vegas dealership without the 54u option. So Matt had it correct for that particular car.

But you are correct that production 2008 SGT's had the 3:55 gears installed by Ford.

Steve

Steve,

Can you provide more details on what you just stated!

So are you saying SAI pulled a Vista Blue GT off a dealers lot in Vegas and built a SGT out of it? Vs it going through the build process where a dealership would order a new car WITH the correct 54U option that all SGTs required??

If this was a "pre-production" build why didn't it have a 'prototype' CSM vs. 08SGT0999???

Please fill in the gaps!

Thanks in advance.....

PS. Going back and looking at the video it has a two tone seats, I'm betting it started life as a California Special??

Steve,

Can you provide more details on what you just stated!

So are you saying SAI pulled a Vista Blue GT off a dealers lot in Vegas and built a SGT out of it? Vs it going through the build process where a dealership would order a new car WITH the correct 54U option that all SGTs required??

If this was a "pre-production" build why didn't it have a 'prototype' CSM vs. 08SGT0999???

Please fill in the gaps!

Thanks in advance.....

PS. Going back and looking at the video it has a two tone seats, I'm betting it started life as a California Special??

You sir are very observant. That car indeed is a California Special Mustang. SAI needed a car to build for SEMA so without the luxury of being able to wait several months for Ford to build us a car to spec SAI just went out to the open market to find a car. Being that SAI needed a Vista Blue convertible to showcase the proposed 2008 SGT paint color and body style narrowed down the potential field of possible cars. By going with a local GT/CS we could start modifying the car the very same day compared to having a regular GT shipped from another state.

Again being for SEMA there was probably not enough time to get a dash plaque made for the car. When it came time to badge this particular car, after 2008 production had started, upper management made the call to issue the CSM number of 999 instead of a P or C number to this car.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool info Steve. That is a pretty special, cool, car with interesting history.

Gary Patterson provided some more info on this cars CSM number that even I didn't know until now. I had just assumed that SAI issued the CSM number of 999 to this SGT so it would easy to remember that this was the SEMA car since it wasn't issued a 'P' or 'C' CSM number but Gary has filled me in that #999 was given to this SGT as a nod to Henry Ford's first race car which wore the number 999 and was driven by Barney Oldfield, America's first race car driver.

Google "Henry Ford 999 Race Car" to learn more.

Steve

Gary Patterson provided some more info on this cars CSM number that even I didn't know until now. I had just assumed that SAI issued the CSM number of 999 to this SGT so it would easy to remember that this was the SEMA car since it wasn't issued a 'P' or 'C' CSM number but Gary has filled me in that #999 was given to this SGT as a nod to Henry Ford's first race car which wore the number 999 and was driven by Barney Oldfield, America's first race car driver.

Steve

Wow, now that is pretty awesome!! Great piece of Shelby/Ford history right there.

Steve

So was this car used for all the promotional materials? (Photos for the porters, hero cards, sales literature and such)?

• 2 weeks later...

Love the 2-tone seats.

Were those stock only on the CA Specials?

Yes

And the door cards were also two-tone.

When I was searching for my second GT/CS I came across several Premium GTs that had the two-tone interiors. My conjecture was that the Just-In-Time assembly-line process ordered up a few too many of the interiors when the GT/CS cars were coming down the line, and rather than stop and clog things up, when the run of GT/CS bodies ended, the Special interiors just went into the regular GTs.

You can see just a bit of the door interior in this picture of the 2008 at the Friends Of Steve McQueen car show, June 2012 (Photo by MUSTANGWORLD.COM)

I found some red trim on eBaY and stuffed it in the crack between the major and minor door panels. Tried the same thing, in blue, on the current car, but it seems as if the fit of the 2014's door panels is closer, and the trim won't stuff.

7188409705_bc26fdb36a_o.jpg

Archived