TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Teaching my daughter to drive stick on the GT-H

My 15 year old daughter has her learners licence and it was always my intention to have her learn how to drive stick. She's been driving our Explorer for 5 months now so she's pretty proficient at driving an automatic. The only thing is that I have only one manual transmission in the stable right now so last Sunday off we went with the GT-H to learn how to drive stick.

She only stalled it half a dozen times and spun the wheels twice while practicing hill starts. Not too bad for the first time in a 5 spd if I do say so myself.

post-20749-0-72282400-1470533248_thumb.jpg

QSS

Edited by QuickSilverShelby

Supercharged like your GT-H? :lol:

QSS

Don't laugh - It is actually turbo charged! My only other standard transmission choices are a 427 Cobra or my K code GT Mustang - neither of which my kids will be spending any time behind the wheel in anytime soon (:

Edited by ITHERTZ66

Don't laugh - It is actually turbo charged! My only other standard transmission choices are a 427 Cobra or my K code GT Mustang - neither of which my kids will be spending any time behind the wheel in anytime soon (:

Yes, the 427 Cobra would be "slightly" overpowered to let your kids learn to drive stick on.

QSS

When I learned to drive stick, I was in college and a friend (who was also a car guy) taught me. I started in a tiny Honda Eco-box. I think it had 3 cylinders, but I did manage to get it to lay rubber when the guy behind me started beeping because I didn't move fast enough when the light turned green. My friend said "I didn't think it could do that!". Then we moved to his robins egg blue Volkswagen Karmin Ghia. At one point while trying to get it started on a steep hill, and rolling further back with every attempt, I did "something" and ended up pushing the clutch in with my right foot. After the VW was an old Toyoda Land Cruiser (shift lever in that was about 3' long). Then his Mazda RX-7. When he was satisfied that I could drive the RX-7 well, I was considered "graduated" and allowed to drive his favorite car as a graduation gift.....a Lotus 7.

Good times and better memories! Hope your daughter remembers learning as fondly as I do.

Z-man

Ps- Two weeks after graduation my first manual transmission car was delivered. It was a 1988 Mustang GT. My friend was the first person (other than me) who got to drive it!

Edited by Z-man