TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Suggestions for SF East Bay dealers/shops?

Nazgul

Hi Guys (& gals?),

I just got my new 2104 GT500 home from Virginia.

It had an intermittent check engine light on the way home--4800 miles! (total <10k miles; still under warranty)

Since its from out-of-state, I need to get it smogged so I can register it.

Before I can smog it, I need to read and fix/erase any codes from the check engine light.

I have called my local dealer (Livermore Ford) several times yesterday and today, and all I get are voice mails for the service writer and mgr., or a receptionist. No one calls back.

A search found nothing. Can someone recommend a close-by dealer or shop to read the codes and eliminate them for me, so I can register it?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Welcome to the joy of Shelby ownership!!

If it's the same code that I was dealing with last summer on my '14 (and there's a good chance it is, and it may be a faulty fuel sensor) then Towne Ford in redwood city has experience dealing with it. I've also found Serramonte Ford in Colma to have a good service department, especially on the non "Quick Lane" side.

I've had very bad experiences with San Leandro Ford's service and will not be going back even though they're the closest dealership to me.

If location is a big factor and you need it on the East Bay, you could also try Fremont Ford, though they at least used to have a bad reputation as well. I've admittedly avoided their service dept due to the prior bad reviews.

If location is a big factor and you need it on the East Bay, you could also try Fremont Ford, though they at least used to have a bad reputation as well. I've admittedly avoided their service dept due to the prior bad reviews.

Thanks for the input. I'm kind of familiar with Serramonte Ford. They used to sponsor Nor Cal SVTOA, but threw us out because we didn't sell enough new cars for them. Their parts guy and Ford Performance rep Mike Kelly is the best.

I bought my Lightning at Fremont Ford. Service was okay back in 2001. Haven't been there is years.

We bought a 2014 Edge at San Leandro Ford. They took care of that fine, but a Shelby?

Same with Livermore. They take good care of our 2016 Explorer that replaced the Edge, but for some reason aren't calling me back on the Shelby.

Let's see if anyone else has a suggestion.

Two things: First stop buy one of the local auto parts store and they'll read the code for you so you know what you're dealing with, usually for no charge. Second, often times the car has to be driven for a certain number of miles after the code(s) are cleared before the smog test can be run. So, it might be just the best option to have a dealer do the smog test. It's a lot more expensive but they have a vested interest in making it pass.

Unrelated, great to see another Livermore resident on TS. Maybe we'll pass each other sometime. I own a 2016 GT-H usually only drive it on the weekends. if you see one it's probably me. Post a pic when you can of your GT 500 so I recognize if I see you. I have only put 150 miles on so far so haven't had to service yet so will follow this topic for suggestions as well.

Paul,

You might consider Walnut Creek Ford. http://www.walnutcreekford.com/

They had several SVT certified techs when that program was active a few years ago and I've seen a couple of FGT's in the Service Department over the years...

Also, I agree with SoCalSGT regarding Ford doing your CA required smog test for an out of state vehicle. I brought a new one in from Sheehy Ford in Springfield, VA and bumped into the same challenge.

Good luck!

Best,

Jim

I got my neighbor to bring over a code reader. The second oxygen sensor on the right bank was noted. He erased the code, the check engine light went out. Next day I drove the car about 40 miles and the light did not come back on. Monday I got it smogged, yesterday I got my CA plates. I'm wondering if the ethanol across the country had anything to do with the codes? CA gas hasn't set them off yet...

Now to figure out a good personalized plate.

Thanks for the tips, and the suggestion for Walnut Creek Ford.

How can I post photos?? I can't get them from my desktop; I can't upload them from tinypic; what else??

I got my neighbor to bring over a code reader. The second oxygen sensor on the right bank was noted. He erased the code, the check engine light went out. Next day I drove the car about 40 miles and the light did not come back on. Monday I got it smogged, yesterday I got my CA plates. I'm wondering if the ethanol across the country had anything to do with the codes? CA gas hasn't set them off yet...

Now to figure out a good personalized plate.

Thanks for the tips, and the suggestion for Walnut Creek Ford.

How can I post photos?? I can't get them from my desktop; I can't upload them from tinypic; what else??

Good news on getting the car sorted out.

To upload photos, I find photobucket works best for me

• 5 months later...

Just an update.

The codes never came back after reading and deleting.

I did go to Walnut Creek Ford for warranty work: The inside rearview mirror was loose and vibrating at certain speeds, hard to see anything in it! The mechanic couldn't get it to stay tight so the service writer ordered a new one. I had to come back, and they installed the new one, but the factory wanted photos, so he had to send them and I had to wait for them to respond. The factory refused to cover the repair, but the service writer finagled something and I had a fixed mirror.

I had called Livermore Ford for the warranty work as they are close to me. No one answered the phone. I left a message and no one called me back. I left another message, and no one called me back. So I went to Walnut Creek Ford. After they fixed it, Livermore Ford called me back. I told them someone else fixed my car while I waited for them to return my call. Even so, they maintain my wife's 2016 Explorer and as far as we know all's fine with it.

As the car was sold in Sept. of 2013, the warranty is now up, so will take it to my local independent shop like all my other cars.

Side note of appreciation for all this info. My son lives in San Ramon, works in San Leandro. On a few occasions, I have shipped up the '11 GT350 for fun. It is good to know of these places in case I have a problem. I have only visited Concord Ford a number years back when son's family lived there. They loved the car but had no idea about any service info.

Archived