TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone in Portland Oregon that can reflash for 410 gears?

I'm going to pull the trigger and have Ford Racing 410 gears installed but the shop does not Flash the computer for the speedometer.. I called two local dealers and they said they cannot do it. I really don't want to have to buy a hand tuner to do it myself, does anybody have any ideas? If someoe is local that has a hand tuner and it is doable I would be more than willing to pay for that.

I'm pretty sure that you have to get your own tuner. Pretty much any hand held tuner is locked to your VIN number once it's plugged in and the tune changed. Only way to unlock a tuner is to set your car back to the factory tune, but then becomes locked to the next vehicle it is used on. That is how Diablo, SCT, or pretty much any tuner is set up. I'm not aware of if there is any other way.

Yup..... ive been reading over my lunch break and it looks like im gonna have to buy a tuner if i do this. I did get a reference to a shop from a very relible source. They said: If i want to buy the FRPP gear set and an install kit they will install for $500. Also if I buy an SCT tuner from them ($380) they will tune and recalibrate for no additional cost. So a question i will ask here: Is there a good SCT tune that comes with the tuner for the stock 2007 SGT with 410s? Or am i misinformed and no retune is needed and I only need a speedo recalibration?

Is your car a stick or an automatic. If a stick, this devise might work for you. I have not used it or have any experience, but possible. I would go ahead and just get a tuner. You can ask to have it programmed any way you wish with multiple tunes. So if you want a totally stock tune with just the gear change in the ecm, then that is possible. But if you want a specific optimal tune for different gas octane ratings, let's say, then you can have the tuner with that option. I personally like the SCT X4 as you can have 4 different tunes that you can change at any time. I'm sure this shop referenced can explain all of that. If your car is an automatic, I think you have to have the ecm tuned for the recalibration since it's greater than a 10% jump in gears from stock with the 4.10's. So that is considered a re-tune, but just for calibration if that is all that is desired.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-speedo-tool-9410.html

It is a manual. Im fine with the shelby tune that is in the car now. I don't drive it a ton of miles so running premium is not an issue for me.. my thought is if I change the gears? Is it going to change the driveability enough that I need to change the Shelby tune.. I absolutely do not want to splice any wires to fix the speedometer. If there is some room for improvement with a tune while staying in the safe Zone then I'm all for it.

Seems to me you must be a dragstrip racer; otherwise, why the 4.10s?

The only reason to "recalibrate" for the ratio change is speed-readout discrepancy, right?

I'd recommend installing a GPS Head Up MPH display. The eighty-dollar one I got from Amazon.com is a little slow to catch up during fast acceleration, but it's GPS-accurate at cruise.

You could change tire sizes and gear ratios to your heart's content, and always know how fast your body is moving.

16659277394_33830cc9b3_o.jpg

Couple additional thoughts:

I went to 3.73 from the stock 3.31 gears on my 2009 GT/CS, and found the change was just a bit too much for autocross ( needed to shift to third too often ) and very good for the one track-day episode I managed to get in ( nice acceleration from the cornering speeds I attained ). Good feeling of power/acceleration on the street and highway, BUT: very busy from a stand-still; I started in second gear very consistently after the gear swap. I imagine the wasted first gear would be even more dramatic with 4,10s.

In that car and the other GT/CS I had, I put on the FRPP "Bullitt"-style cooler air intake, which came with the FRPP "ProCal" hand-held tuner (and tune). VERY satisfactory in every respect: looked good and significantly improved drive-ability and performance. AND, the tuner allows Wheel Revolutions Per Mile adjustment in one WhRPM increments/decrements. I don't know about current versions of SCT and others, but at that time they permitted only five-WhRPM intervals.

Just saying.

Edit: I'd do the FRPP CAI again for my '13 and '14 GTs, but FRPP seems to have decided they couldn't do much to improve the stock intake path; however, they do offer the ProCal and tune, which again, does what it promises, and allows those single-WhRPM adjustments. Maybe they will supply one for your year of car.

Edited by Frank S

Ok thats a good thought, thanks. I realize that im going to lose something if i gain something else. i.e. low first useable 5th. I was referred to a local (30 miles) mustang shop that will install my frpp gears and tune my car if I purchase the SCT tuner from them. The tune will be one that is an accumulation of his experiences with the s197s. Ill be right about $1,100.

So a decision has been made. I have found a rear end shop that is going to install my frpp 4.10 gears. I will be ordering an SCT tuner from Brenspeed today. I get to save a few hundred bucks, I get the gears installed by a reputable shop that only does rear end work. And I get a tune by a proven company. I will repost when done.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: So I had my FRPP 410 gears installed and recieved my SCT tuner from Brenspeed. I recieved 87 89 and 91 tunes. I only run Chevron 92 so I figured I have some safety built in.

Of course I installed the 91 tune first and went for a drive. 3 heat cycles and about 50 miles on gears. Car was very responsive, BUT in 2nd gear at about 3800-4000rpm with throttle at about 80% I got 5 or 6 quick pings. I returned home very conservatively and loaded the 89 tune and went for the EXACT same drive. This time I got 1 single ping at the same spot on the road with everything being the same. I returned home and loaded the 87 tune and again took the same drive. No pinging. Now with the 89 and 91 tune right before the pinging at about 3500 rpm the car got VERY flat, basically just stopped putting out any power. I believe this is detonation??

Now it was about 90 outside and about 4pm so the air was pretty thin. I parked the car for the night with maybe 3 miles on it checking out the tunes. I figured I would clean MAF sensor and clean the throttle body the next morning. The next morning I decided to clean the MAF, clean the air filter and throttle body along with changing the plugs (37k)... So the air cleaner and throttle body were pretty dirty and im assuming the MAF was just as bad but hard to see in such a small piece. I removed all the items and thoroughly cleaned with the correct cleaners. I cracked the spark plugs loose and sprayed a little pb blaster down the wholes to let them soak overnight. The next morning all the plugs came out pretty easy (a little back and forth action). The plugs had a very large gap compared to the new Autolite HT1 that I installed. Without have a wire type gap gauge the best i could get with a micrometer and a few small items in the tool box, the old plugs were approx .055-.065 the new HT1s are about .040

I drove the car (89 tune) for a few miles to make sure all was good. No real heavy acceleration, I did notice 1 time in 2nd about 60% throttle at 3000rpm a small flat spot again but no pinging, it felt different and im thinking it is tune related.I do not want to install the 91 again until I talk to brenspeed as im thinking I can datalog the 91 and have them look at it..? Until then I have the 87 tune loaded and it is more than sufficient.

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the 410 gears and the brenspeed tune before i had it supercharged. The best mod for performance for your money, especially the 410's. My tune was for 91 octane and i used 93 octane fuel.Our fuel around here is 87-89 and 93 octane. I am now supercharged and burn 93 octane and i still have my 410's and love them. if i had 331 gears then i would have changed to 373's but with the 355's from Shelby i decided to go to 410's because the 355's to 373's is just to close and would have very little impact for the money. Hope you can get the problem corrected and run the 91 tune for best performance. Good Luck.