TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Terlingua Racing Team official registry

DubbsFaris

This topic was touched on in another thread, and so it doesn't interfere with a Shelby Terlingua build thread, I'm picking it up here. This isn't to cast stones or belittle anyone building their own Terlinguas. That has been regarded and addressed here before, and those of us that have a hand in Terlingua Racing Team or Terlingua Preservation Society are not here to say any Terlingua is more Terlingua than the next.

However, it is important to us to point out that Terlingua Preservation Society was tasked to keep the official Terlingua Racing Team registry by Bill Neale who owns the brand. The reason for this is because by official count, there are technically licensed cars that were built, approved by Bill, but not built by Shelby. Otherwise, this would not be necessary and the Shelby registry would contain the TRT registry. In addition, We maintain a close relationship with the Neale family, and even more to this specific connection will be revealed after our next event and the attendees find out first.

I just want to be clear that the only vehicles eligible for entry in the registry are vehicles the Neale family tell us are eligible. It is not up to Shelby, Terlingua Preservation Society, or anyone not without the last name Neale, first name Bill or his direct descendants.

In part, I say this because I don't want anyone to think they can get approval from some other entity, and believe they have something they may not, or give money for that to someone without the authority. It's easy to figure out Shelby licensing, and not so easy for TRT licensing.

That said, those of us that make up Terlingua Preservation Society will be happy to help anyone get in touch with the proper agents for licensing should someone here like to do this, and can do so by contacting us here by PM, or if you prefer Facebook, I am the admin for the official Terlingua Racing Team page, and I can answer PMs there as well.

This is strictly for informational use as I have had many questions regarding this.

I believe there has been a misunderstanding of licensing on my Terlingua Tribute car. All along my car was and is being licensed by and in the registery of another entity, not TRT, as a "Racing Heritage Car". And they are actually paying for the rights. A lot of drama about nothing. I never strung the 2 together in sentence as the car being officially licensed by TRT. Only stated that it was an "Officially Licensed Car". But not saying by whom. Sorry about the confusion, and I hope this clears things up. It might be a good idea for everyone involved to reread and reintroduce themselves to the roots of TRT which was based on fun, sarcasm and humor. All of which is why the original "Rat Pack" formed the Terlingua Racing Team in the first place. That might help lighten things up a little. Anyway, It's just cars people. It's supposed to be fun !

Edited by cmcmotorworks

...It might be a good idea for everyone involved to reread and reintroduce themselves to the roots of TRT which was based on fun, sarcasm and humor....

Not to mention badinage, persiflage, and raillery.

I believe there has been a misunderstanding of licensing on my Terlingua Tribute car. All along my car was and is being licensed by and in the registery with as a "Racing Heritage Car". And is actually paying for the rights. A lot of drama about nothing. I never strung the 2 together in sentence as the car being officially licensed by TRT. Only stated that it was an "Officially Licensed Car". But not saying by whom. Sorry about the confusion, and I hope this clears things up. It might be a good idea for everyone involved to reread and reintroduce themselves to the roots of TRT which was based on fun, sarcasm and humor. All of which is why the original "Rat Pack" formed the Terlingua Racing Team in the first place. That might help lighten things up a little. Anyway, It's just cars people. It's supposed to be fun !

Well, your post was and still is misleading. A Terlingua build cannot be licensed by anyone but The Neale family. Saying your Terlingua(and now your first use of "tribute")was licensed and in the registry without stating who licensed and what registry had people asking a lot of questions. Anyone can build their own Terlingua tribute car. No one can build a LICENSED TERLINGUA without express permission granted by TRT. Licensing agreements are in place and a lot of money is at stake for the family. Misleading could send wrong messages, spark lawsuits, etc. it's not the 60s anymore, and let's be honest- at the time the brand was created, it had no value, but now it does. When agents of both Shelby and TRT reach out to you and you refuse to clear up your misleading statements, it doesn't help your cause either.

There are those that have built some fantastic tribute Terlinguas. I am friends with many, and I fully respect their cars. But let's be clear that they are not trying to pass off a business model where they can build other people a Terlingua and have the rights to do so. Shelby is currently the only company with that right. That's a fact. Terlingua Preservation Society is also under a restricted licensing agreement for merchandise only. I value, honor and protect these agreements so that the relationships we have in place now can continue to prosper and bring growth and prosperity to the family that created it and frankly deserves to earn a return on their time and creative endeavors. You can use the spirit argument in supporting the brand, but using it to pillage it for profit was never done around a campfire in the middle of the Terlingua badlands I can assure you.

For people who prefer cliff notes-

Building your own vision of a Terlingua is awesome and totally cool, and I can't wait to see a Boss version!

Being vague and implying building your own Terlingua, or for others, can be done with licensing and registry designation is not cool.

Well, your post was and still is misleading. A Terlingua build cannot be licensed by anyone but The Neale family. Saying your Terlingua(and now your first use of "tribute")was licensed and in the registry without stating who licensed and what registry had people asking a lot of questions. Anyone can build their own Terlingua tribute car. No one can build a LICENSED TERLINGUA without express permission granted by TRT. Licensing agreements are in place and a lot of money is at stake for the family. Misleading could send wrong messages, spark lawsuits, etc. it's not the 60s anymore, and let's be honest- at the time the brand was created, it had no value, but now it does. When agents of both Shelby and TRT reach out to you and you refuse to clear up your misleading statements, it doesn't help your cause either.

There are those that have built some fantastic tribute Terlinguas. I am friends with many, and I fully respect their cars. But let's be clear that they are not trying to pass off a business model where they can build other people a Terlingua and have the rights to do so. Shelby is currently the only company with that right. That's a fact. Terlingua Preservation Society is also under a restricted licensing agreement for merchandise only. I value, honor and protect these agreements so that the relationships we have in place now can continue to prosper and bring growth and prosperity to the family that created it and frankly deserves to earn a return on their time and creative endeavors. You can use the spirit argument in supporting the brand, but using it to pillage it for profit was never done around a campfire in the middle of the Terlingua badlands I can assure you.

For people who prefer cliff notes-

Building your own vision of a Terlingua is awesome and totally cool, and I can't wait to see a Boss version!

Being vague and implying building your own Terlingua, or for others, can be done with licensing and registry designation is not cool.

Okay, Sorry ! But let me mention that someone has deleted and or edited my above post as to the name of the entity licensing my car. It is not TRT. Just so you understand, I can see how you would totally misunderstand take it out of context and that is unfair as I was only making an attempt to clear the issue up! Now read it again. I fixed it. Edited by cmcmotorworks

Well, that's why I brought it up. Since TRT has an exclusive agreement with Shelby for mustang builds, I'd hate to see someone pay another company money that would turn out to be not a licensed TRT build. I don't know the company you are referring to, and strangely you are being quite vague as to their identity, lol, but I would be concerned as TRT is unaware of what they have promised you being licensed.

I mean, if it's a tribute car in the spirit of Terlingua, and they are putting their own license on it, then a customer would be paying someone for a fake, and they would be in violation of copyright/trademark law by selling a brand they have not secured an agreement with to build that kind of car.

The only way you can build a Terlingua is to do it yourself. If you pay a company to build you a Terlingua, they are pirating the brand for profit, no? (That's rhetorical, I did make it that far in law school before falling asleep)

Again, I'm trying to look out for you and others that might not know what, who, how to get a Terlingua built, licensed or otherwise. TRT is not a corporation like Shelby, although if another company is encroaching on Shelby's exclusive agreement, I would bet they would act quickly to shut that down. Especially with all the great reviews the new Terlingua is getting. It's being praised as the best Shelby yet.

Okay, Sorry ! But let me mention that someone has deleted and or edited my above post as to the name of the entity licensing my car. It is not TRT. Just so you understand, I can see how you would totally misunderstand take it out of context and that is unfair as I was only making an attempt to clear the issue up! Now read it again. I fixed it.

Chris, I've reviewed all TS logs and you are the only one that has edited your previous post and no postings have been deleted from this thread.

Okay, Sorry ! But let me mention that someone has deleted and or edited my above post as to the name of the entity licensing my car. It is not TRT. Just so you understand, I can see how you would totally misunderstand take it out of context and that is unfair as I was only making an attempt to clear the issue up! Now read it again. I fixed it.

Am I missing something? So what is "the name of the entity licensing (your) car"?

Am I missing something? So what is "the name of the entity licensing (your) car"?

And that's the question everyone is asking. Its not licensed/registered with SAI/CSL, its not licensed/registered with the TRT folks and its not licensed/registered by the Neale family so all the so called "drama" and "misunderstanding" is being caused by one individual, which is unfortunate.

Wow. It's like why? If you want something, buy it. If you cannot find one, afford one or get the one you want... Build it. However it is then a "Clone". It is like a Rolex that is not made by Rolex, it's a "clone". No matter where you say it, advertise it, brand it....it's a "clone". I've had clones, I loved the car. But when I wanted the real deal I bit the bullit and paid for it.

Are cloned cars bad cars? No. They usually are fantastic cars, just not authenic. Terlingua & Shelby people see fanatical over pedigree, that is what it's all about no matter how you spin it.

Exactly. There are three or four Terlingua clones that I would have used as the official build on the older s197s. They are that good.

I've also seen countless mustang Shelby tribute builds, or clones if you prefer, and some of them are phenomenal as well.

...but I've seen about 3 or 4 dealers selling a clone as a licensed Shelby that wasn't just mistaken, but obviously fraudulent. Those make me furious. I mean ready to fight mad. Why? Because I fear the day some poor guy who's dream it was to own a Shelby meets said dealer, thinks they finally get to fulfill a lifelong dream of owning a Shelby, and really all they bought was a used mustang for 20-40% markup.

I will continuously and vigorously fight to protect the SA and TRT brands. It's important to me. We can call this an instance of misunderstanding, or we can call this an attempt to defraud the brand, or something in between. Wherever this actually falls in that spectrum, I like to see this as an opportunity to discuss this and show people there is a right way to do builds and a wrong way.

And that's the question everyone is asking. Its not licensed/registered with SAI/CSL, its not licensed/registered with the TRT folks and its not licensed/registered by the Neale family so all the so called "drama" and "misunderstanding" is being caused by one individual, which is unfortunate.

The Vogons, and the registry is in Alpha Centauri. And it's VSN (Vogon Serial Number) #42.

Edited by twobjshelbys

Can you please elaborate on the Vogan & Alpha Centauri thing?

Thank you.

I think he is perhaps making a reference to " The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". A science fiction novel. Edited by mhr1961

I think he is perhaps making a reference to " The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". A science fiction novel.

Oh come on we weren't supposed to make it so easy :)

It was actually a series. My favorite was So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

I never saw the movie of HHGTTG until a year or so ago on a cable channel. It wasn't dreadful, had Zooey Deschanel in it and I loved the Vogons. The book was still better.

Edited by twobjshelbys

Actually, the books are based on a 1976 radio series, which I believe to be superior. It is available on iTunes I believe, although being an old timer I have it on CD from about 20 years ago. Megadodo Publications and all that.

Actually, the books are based on a 1976 radio series, which I believe to be superior. It is available on iTunes I believe, although being an old timer I have it on CD from about 20 years ago. Megadodo Publications and all that.

I am not sure if this has any affect on the resurgence of the Shelby Terlingua:

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/07/19/ford-jose-cuervo-agave-bioplastics/

Now if they bring back the original Shelby Chili recipe and ownership, we might have something. :cool: