TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Any thoughts?

Does anyone have a preferred wax that works well? I am new to the Shelby world but not the Mustangs. This is my third and have had the same thing on all three. About three or four days and I have film that builds up on the inside of the rear window. Annoying and hard to clean off. Any thoughts as to what it may de caused from and remedies? Does anyone have a preferred motor oil for Shelby's. I used to use Royal Purple in my 2014 GT but they don't make a 5w50. I was considering using Amsoil. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Turtle wax ice paste 2 coats. that's after a clay bar job. then use the ice detailer to keep clean with the ice spray wax every 4 or 5 times. should get you through a year then clay bar again. if black paint get a pro detail every two years to get rid of microscratches.

Edited by twobjshelbys

twobjshelbys! That is exactly what I've done since new on my very early 07. Very first and foremost, I make a paste of ice cold water and baking soda. Simply with a cold water rag, dab the baking soda paste on the leading edges of your car where any bugs might be....NO NEED TO SCRUB, just dab it on, let is stand about 5 minutes and gently go over any bugs with a wet rag, it will just fall off. Then,

A good wash with DAWN, yes DAWN to remove all the wax, and JETA or a good kerosene lightly on tar to remove it (and it does a great job on tires with a scrub brush, and leaves a very nice old school satin sheen to them, shhhhhh old car show trick), keep it inside overnight; then a very leisurely clay bar the next morning. Let the clay bar and liquid do the work, take your time the first couple of times, it will pay off.

Then ICE paste. I lay mine down with just a regular Craftsman car orbital buffer and pad. I let stand (indoors) an hour in the summer (Texas heat does wonders) and up to four hours in the winter (if needed), I've found it best to remove the lion's share by hand, then finish with the buffer. To do it correctly, you need a lot of finish (turkish towel) pads. ICE paste will work on all exterior surfaces, so do the plastic hood vents (if you have them). The bottoms and so on.

At this point, you're either tired or drunk. Take a break...when you're back, give it a light dust off and NOW (the past three years) I spray and wipe down with Chemical Guys V7 Detail Spray on 4 of their large yellow Micro Fiber towels. This has been the very best towel and detail spray I've used. All of their products are a great quality.

To finish I use a dry 0000 steel wool on the windshield and then finish with Invisible Glass. And a superfine compound or Permatex 403D on the headlight bezels to remove bugs and scratches.

I touch up the paint with ICE liquid throughout the year, I also use ICE liquid on everything under the hood to keep everything looking nice.

Hope this helps.

For 9 years I've used mostly just mequiars spray polish and I've waxed the car maybe once with mequiars wax. On the vinyl stripes I use 303 Protectant. Car looks brand new. Of course I realize that the real reason is being garaged most of the time, U/V being the no. 1 killer of all things.

I'm a believer in ICE products. They've done a great job for me.

Try the baking soda and ice cold water rag....you'll be surprised.

An old chemist taught me that.

Bug guts are 90% acid (that's why they can damage the finish). What neutralizes acid? Sodium. :-)

I'm a believer in ICE products. They've done a great job for me.

Try the baking soda and ice cold water rag....you'll be surprised.

An old chemist taught me that.

Bug guts are 90% acid (that's why they can damage the finish). What neutralizes acid? Sodium. :-)

I'm definitely gonna give it go.... Lord knows if ya drive it you're bound to hit a bug or two....

post-25056-0-53066000-1466792410_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info. I will go and get some this weekend. What is the best clay bar to use? Any suggestions on the other things that I mentioned?

I use Maguiars. It includes the clay bar and a bottle of detailer spray (which you spray onto the surface and then use the clay over it).

My experience is that the spray detailers are equivalent - Maguiars and Ice, and I even think I used Mothers once.

Read the post above....I put two coats of paste on after a good wash and claybar, then keep it up throughout the year with liquid...and use liquid under the hood for hoses and rubber.

Read the post above....I put two coats of paste on after a good wash and claybar, then keep it up throughout the year with liquid...and use liquid under the hood for hoses and rubber.

and like he said, i did the same with my Shelby's and Cobra. The Ford GT has too much clear bra.

Wax and oil in one thread. Add tires and you would have hit the trifecta.

I read something about all clay bars are the same except some certain kinds. I sure the gurus here will chime in. I am using and really like the clay bar that is like a pad. The name escapes me right now.

For spray detailer on dark color, I have found Chadwicks Triple Play to be the best.

Edited by Bearbo