TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SAFETY RECALL NOTICE 15S21 for 2008 MUSTANGS

I just recently received in the mail a "safety recall notice" 15S21 for my 2008 GT 500KR. I read the notice as it says the driver side airbag inflator housing may rupture and deploy abnormally in the event of a crash etc etc. It later adds that an inflator rupture could result in metal fragments striking the driver etc...

My question to the group is iof those with the 2008 model year have you brought your shelby's in to have this done/corrected? I live in the Long Island New York area ( Nassau County) and I am hesitant to bring my car to any of the local dealerships to have this done as I have heard far too many horror stories of the service areas not doing quality work, taking owners cars out for joy rides etc. Just wanted to see if anyone has any advice, thoughts and if they recommend dealers who are reputable in my area. The later goes on to say that I would have to order the part ahead of time as there is a backlog already and that the dealers may have to hold your car over one night to even a few days. This is something i want to avoid at all costs.

Thanks for listening.

Brian S Bifano

2008 Shelby GT 500 KR Vista Blue # 977

Wow, you'd not heard of the Takata disaster? The airbag recall has been discussed here for quite some time. Start looking here:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/85489-ford-air-bag-recall-affects-05-07-mustang-05-06-ford-gt-04-ranger/

A search for AIRBAG will return more.

P.S. The Ford GT crowd is much pickier than the Mustang crowd, and so far, no one has reported any issues of collateral damage. Some have even taken them to dealers with no trained GT tech and have no issues. The task is pretty simple. If you had the passenger side its easier to mess up with scratches. Your dealer may or may not allow you to be present. Take pictures of the steering wheel before the procedure to make sure they don't ding anything up.

Edited by twobjshelbys

Yeah it's a simple swap.

Shouldn't take longer than an hour (really shouldn't take longer than about 20 minutes)

So just go and don't leave the car there.

If you're really paranoid buy a dash cam and leave it on the entire time if they won't allow you to go back and watch them.

A lot of times if you just ask if you can watch because you're curious to see how they work they'll let you. If you ask in an accusatory manner like, "Hey I want to keep on eye on you" then they likely won't.