TEAM SHELBY FORUM

VMP Triple Pass-Dual Fan Heat Exchanger

Norton

Finally got my VMP Triple Pass-Dual Fan Heat Exchanger and Reische 170' Thermostat installed. Very happy with results - Engine temps between 165' and 175', and IAT2 that didn't top 120' even in slow moving traffic.

Thanks to my good friend kpinco for the mini-group buy he negotiated on the HE, and Ky GT500 for the stencil to complete the job!

20160527_162716_zpsv8e9np6g.jpg

Edited by Norton

I have the same heat exchanger.

It's about a 70 mile drive to work. In the morning the oil temp stayed around 160. In the afternoon at about 80 degrees the oil temp is around 180 and will sometimes go up to 200 in stop and go traffic.

I have the same heat exchanger.

It's about a 70 mile drive to work. In the morning the oil temp stayed around 160. In the afternoon at about 80 degrees the oil temp is around 180 and will sometimes go up to 200 in stop and go traffic.

The heat exchanger cools the coolant going into the supercharger intercooler. Which in turn cools the pressurized air going into the engine. Not the oil temperature.

What was IAT2 running prior and in about same ambient slow moving?

My IAT2 is consistently 20'-30' cooler than with the stock HE. (Admittedly, I have yet to really drive it hard with the new HE, but that will come with next month's Pikes Peak Airstrip Attack... FWIW, I my IAT2 climbed above 140' at last year's event.)

Edited by Norton

I read on another site where the fins on the VMP bend very easily when bugs hit it. I was considering one of these but don't want that problem.

My limited experience (no more than a couple hundred miles on it), I'd say they do bend more easily than the stock HE fins. The good news is they also bend back pretty easily.

All of that said, IMO, the improved cooling performance is worth it.