TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Terlingua spotted in the wild!

sportscars

It is really a small world! My brother (Dubbs) spotted a new black Terlingua at hwy 1604 & Stone Oak drive this morning. What are the odds??? Also, what are the odds that two of the first ones built would both be going to San Antonio?

We are waiting for a confirmation on this. It may be a clone. But it's definitely a black 2015+ with a yellow hood, side stripes and black bunny on said hood.

To make it even stranger, my wife saw it this morning on the way to work. I would have had a second peek at it, but I had to go South Texas for a meeting and to scout some new work. I'll see it again, and get pics!

We are waiting for a confirmation on this. It may be a clone. But it's definitely a black 2015+ with a yellow hood, side stripes and black bunny on said hood.

To make it even stranger, my wife saw it this morning on the way to work. I would have had a second peek at it, but I had to go South Texas for a meeting and to scout some new work. I'll see it again, and get pics!

A clone ? A clone to the original Jerry titus car ? There is no such designation as a "Real" or "Not Real" Terlingua Racing Team Mustang. Any one who designates and dresses their car up in such fashion is as "Real" as any other out there !

A clone ? A clone to the original Jerry titus car ? There is no such designation as a "Real" or "Not Real" Terlingua Racing Team Mustang. Any one who designates and dresses their car up in such fashion is as "Real" as any other out there !

No, a clone to a 2015-16 Terlingua. I'm not getting into real v not real. Suffice to say if someone builds a copy that Shelby builds under license, or a car to look like that- it is a clone, and not an official Terlingua to that build. If they build a 1967 coupe in Titus Livery, then that is a Terlingua they built, not licensed, but a Terlingua nonetheless. If it's anything else, then awesome, but it won't be in the official Terlingua Racing Team Registry. Yes, there is one, at the request of Bill Neale, Terlingua Preservation Society maintains the registry of all officially licensed vehicles built by Shelby, and a few other shops with express permission and licensing through Terlingua Racing Team and Bill Neale specifically. This includes ol' Yeller, Bill's 1965 fastback, 9 Cobras, 40ish 2005-2009 Shelby Terlingua V6s, 4 1967 TRT mustangs built in Dallas, the Need for Speed car, Ford Ranger Terlingua(which is borderline legit, but cool anyway), and pending 2015-2016 Shelby 5.0 builds. (and whatever else I'm glazing over this late.)

Anyways,

I was going highway speed and saw him from the rear down at the intersection I was passing over. It was black, and I noticed the yellow rocker panel stripes, but too far to see if the font was right. My attention then went to the yellow hood, and black bunny. This all happened over about 5 seconds. It also wasn't until the last second I realized what I was seeing. It just caught me off guard . I would perhaps doubt myself, but my wife saw the same car in morning traffic Tuesday.

No, a clone to a 2015-16 Terlingua. I'm not getting into real v not real. Suffice to say if someone builds a copy that Shelby builds under license, or a car to look like that- it is a clone, and not an official Terlingua to that build. If they build a 1967 coupe in Titus Livery, then that is a Terlingua they built, not licensed, but a Terlingua nonetheless. If it's anything else, then awesome, but it won't be in the official Terlingua Racing Team Registry. Yes, there is one, at the request of Bill Neale, Terlingua Preservation Society maintains the registry of all officially licensed vehicles built by Shelby, and a few other shops with express permission and licensing through Terlingua Racing Team and Bill Neale specifically. This includes ol' Yeller, Bill's 1965 fastback, 9 Cobras, 40ish 2005-2009 Shelby Terlingua V6s, 4 1967 TRT mustangs built in Dallas, the Need for Speed car, Ford Ranger Terlingua(which is borderline legit, but cool anyway), and pending 2015-2016 Shelby 5.0 builds. (and whatever else I'm glazing over this late.)

Anyways,

I was going highway speed and saw him from the rear down at the intersection I was passing over. It was black, and I noticed the yellow rocker panel stripes, but too far to see if the font was right. My attention then went to the yellow hood, and black bunny. This all happened over about 5 seconds. It also wasn't until the last second I realized what I was seeing. It just caught me off guard . I would perhaps doubt myself, but my wife saw the same car in morning traffic Tuesday.

There is a market if someone started building the Terlingua Mustangs again based on the 67-68 Coupes if they gave permission but problem is the pricing and I think that is what killed it off people were just not going to pay what they listed them at as you can build your own replica for half the cost. The unnamed company in OK. building those continuation FAKE Shelby's priced them so high only the uneducated pro athletes or actors or musicians are buying those because they have no clue how much they're over paying. I mean $150k for the base model when you can buy REAL Shelby's under $100k makes no sense to me. When I was living in TX and Quantum was open they had one of the Yellow ones I think inside and it was very cool. I would have built them using different parts then what they used but very cool car

Anyways,

Well, I guess we'll see then !

There is a market if someone started building the Terlingua Mustangs again based on the 67-68 Coupes if they gave permission but problem is the pricing and I think that is what killed it off people were just not going to pay what they listed them at as you can build your own replica for half the cost. The unnamed company in OK. building those continuation FAKE Shelby's priced them so high only the uneducated pro athletes or actors or musicians are buying those because they have no clue how much they're over paying. I mean $150k for the base model when you can buy REAL Shelby's under $100k makes no sense to me. When I was living in TX and Quantum was open they had one of the Yellow ones I think inside and it was very cool. I would have built them using different parts then what they used but very cool car

That's right, they did. Kenny is Bill Neale's nephew, so that was the connection to those 4 being licensed, and also how Quantum went from a complete unknown to being one of the 3 Authorized Shelby locations. No knock on anyone. It's how business gets done everywhere.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Interesting conversation....one point of clarification. The 4 cars Kenny built under license in Dallas are 1966's not 67's. I am personally very glad to see the registry come together. A big thank you to everyone who helped make it happen.

Kevin

IMG_1420_zpslhapd3db.jpg

IMG_1419_zpss98roomi.jpg

Interesting conversation....one point of clarification. The 4 cars Kenny built under license in Dallas are 1966's not 67's. I am personally very glad to see the registry come together. A big thank you to everyone who helped make it happen.

Kevin

IMG_1420_zpslhapd3db.jpg

IMG_1419_zpss98roomi.jpg

Is this yours? I seen the one at Quantum in person was real nice but some parts they cheaped out on

I think you could build these again and use Dynacorn bodies if they offer it in Coupe form price them under $100k and build 50 of them I guarantee they will all be sold less than 1 week

These other idiots building these fake continuation Shelby's and charging $150k to $190k is just absurd

Yes, car #4 that Kenny built is mine. It is a little different than the first three.

If you saw a yellow one at Quantum for sale, there is only one in yellow and that was car #2 built for Bill. May I ask what parts you didn't like on Bill's car #2?

There is an enormous amount of labor in restoring and building these cars. The work that Kenny and team did was first rate for its time.

• 4 weeks later...

Real or fake? :hysterical:

At Mustang Week 2016, looked like an '07 GT500. Had twin-turbos on it.

Not a "real" documented Terlingua, but a tasteful tribute build done on a GT500 by a regular attendee of the Terlingua events.

Real or fake? :hysterical:

At Mustang Week 2016, looked like an '07 GT500. Had twin-turbos on it.

This is a local car built by Fastlane Motorsports (I posted about this in one of the other Terlingua threads but was deleted). My buddy did all the graphics, he was "told" it was an 'official' 1 of 1 TRT GT500, I guess with Bill's autograph, who's to say it isn't....lol

Yes, car #4 that Kenny built is mine. It is a little different than the first three.

If you saw a yellow one at Quantum for sale, there is only one in yellow and that was car #2 built for Bill. May I ask what parts you didn't like on Bill's car #2?

There is an enormous amount of labor in restoring and building these cars. The work that Kenny and team did was first rate for its time.

Just seen this... for the price they could have used better suspension pieces and the engines could have been built better. Don't have car's build sheet in front of me or I can list specifically what I was referring to.

Wouldn't mind having one in my garage even if it were a replica these are bad ass

The suspension was built to more closely model what was available back in the day on the original trans am cars. Up front, the shock towers were plated and the A-arms were plated and lowered. Out back, they went with override traction arms. My example handles extremely well with the chassis stiffened up with stitch welding and in-floor subframes along with the 4 point bar tying everything together.

The engines are Z304 headed 347cu/450hp Ford Racing crate engines. Mine makes 370hp / 360tq to the tire with FAST EFI. At 3100 pds, it is a pretty strong combination. :)

Take care,

Kevin

Archived