TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My baby's been violated.

07 SHLB

Like all members here, I feel very sad about what happened to you car. It happened to me once in the late '80s. It was not as nice a car as the Shelby, but the car was only a few months old and it was my first car. I know how you must feel. People that do these things just make me sick; I find them even worse than thieves, since they gain absolutely nothing from doing what they do. I would not let this thing go; crimes like that should not remain unpunished.

I hope that you can find a good paintshop that can make it look perfect again. My experience is that it can be done when a car is still quite new.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know that feeling 07...

post-7031-1182736088_thumb.jpg

I saw that and felt it in my gut. I thought - who could do such a thing? Then I realized - it was me!!!! Turned out this was from a car wash...I wrote about it in another thread. I'll never use a car wash again. Anyway - I do know how you must have felt at the moment of discovery. It is a real feeling of being violated.

We still depend on the kindness of strangers and the honor system - which today can be too much to ask of some...

I feel bad for what happened to you, but it specifically tells you to not run this through an automatic car wash. I think you're lucky it didn't take your overhead stripes off. If it was a manual wash, you should have let off the trigger much earlier.

HSURB

I feel bad for what happened to you, but it specifically tells you to not run this through an automatic car wash. I think you're lucky it didn't take your overhead stripes off. If it was a manual wash, you should have let off the trigger much earlier.

HSURB

Check out this thread on the car wash incident - I refer to the supplement warning there. I don't want to hijack 07's thread here.

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...mp;#entry133538

Would just love to catch the SOB that did that and tie his azz to the back and drag him around for a few miles. Better yet, do to his face what he did to your car! No mercy!
:ninja: Spec ops time!! Hope you catch whoever it was, post his pic on all the light posts in the parking lot so anyone who knows him will know really what a jerk he/she is!

Sorry to see your car like that :cry: :angry2: Makes me not want to park mine anywhere unattended, but that would take the fun out of driving the car, always worring if SOMEONE is :ninja: waiting for you to leave your car! I usually glance around when I park mine, even if it's not the Shelby, I guess the military plays a part in that, it's amazing how many people you will see sitting in their car in the parking lot sometimes waiting for their wife or kids, but makes you wonder....

Well, it looks like my car will never be "original" again. The worst possible thing that someone could do, has been done.

Saturday afternoon I installed my dash plaque and one of the sill plates. Feeling thirsty, I ran inside to tell my wife that I was going to run and grab some beer. My plan was to run down to 7-11, grab a 12 pack and be back in 10 minutes. My wife said that she needed some coffee for the morning and asked if I'd grab that while I was out. That changed where I was going but I said "no problem". I proceeded to the local grocery store and parked at the end of the center row. I walked straight into the building, straight to the coffee row, grabbed the can of coffee, walked straight to the self checkout without any wait, paid cash and walked out the door. The passenger side of the car was facing the building so I didn't see anything until I went around the back of my car and went to grab the door handle. This is what I was greeted with:

post-8632-1182729111_thumb.jpg

I looked around and didn't see anyone in the parking lot. Just cars. I'm telling you, I couldn't have been in the store more than 2 minutes, max. I immediately went inside and asked to speak to the manager so I could review the security tape. It turns out that the "manager" doesn't know anything about that fancy survailance system they got hooked up. He said I would have to talk to the store director who doesn't come back to work until Monday. So, I called the police. Since I didn't see anyone do it, all they could do was take my information. They said that they would assign a detective in a week or so to the case and that he would give me a call. The odds of them figuring out who did it and me getting revenge, uh I mean restitution, are about nil.

I just can't believe that anyone would do that. The pictures bad but the scratch is so deep it looks like it's into the metal. I don't think there's anyway they are going to be able to repair it without it being noticable. The paint won't match unless they paint the entire panels. You know the insurance company won't sign up for that. I'm thinking about not even filing a claim with the insurance company. I have a $500 deductable and they will probably only pay for repainting the area that was keyed. If they do that, you will more than likely be able to see that it was repaired. Maybe it's time to repaint the entire thing and add some ghost flames....

That just SUCKS

Sorry about your car. That is my biggest fear as mine will be a daily driver. The evidence of paint work can be minimized if done properly by a reputable shop. The evidence of paint work performed by anything less than that will be noticeable. First you must learn some terminology to help you better understand what process your car will go through and also reassure that the repair shop understands that you expect a quality job.

The stripes must be removed to avoid a paint line and build up at the edge of the stripe. This will also allow a better gradual blend of the base coat color.

Using a quality catalyzed primer is a must to minimize shrinkage and lifting of sanding scratches. This also helps prevent chemical reaction’s such as lifting or wrinkling. It is important that the repair tech also use a guide coat over his primer so that the block sanding process is flawless. This process should be done as many times as necessary (at least twice) to assure that no waves are visible after it is painted. The primer that I use cost $120.00 per gallon and the catalyst costs an additional $45 per quart.

At least one coat of sealer over the primer is also recommended to minimize sanding scratches. This can also be purchased tinted to assist with a base color.

Factory mix paint should be ordered and not mixed at your local paint supply shop. This will assist in the blend and paint match. You are at the mercy of human error to put it politely if you have them mix it.

Make sure quality paint and clear coat is used such as the PPG Deltron system. I stopped doing customer work over 5 years ago but had some 10 year jobs out there that looked as good as the day they left the shop. Proper owner care as well and good prep helped but the quality of paint was imperative.

I have to do shift change now and will edit and complete my post this afternoon. I am also 80 miles from you and can assist you in finding the right shop if you like.

Quality clear coat's are also least likely to dull or yellow and deteriorate in time and tend to be a better chemically resistant product as well. Color sanding after the paint will smooth out dust nibs and minimize orange peel. The color match can be on target and the clear have too much peel and it won't match. Color sanding scratches are buffed out usually in at least 2 stages, but if too course or aggressive of a grit such as 1000 or 1500 is used they will be very difficult to get out and will for ever show swirls and reduce the shine a bit. It is more labor intensive, but no less than 2500 grit should be used. Planning to color sand such as custom work involves an additional coat of clear so that an adequate amount remains on the car after it's completed. preparations should be done to assure over spray and buffing goop getting on the car where it's not needed is minimized. All this cost a lot of extra money and your insurance company will most likely allow the minimum. pre-arrangements can be made to the shop to assure these things are considered.

I am in Haines City about 80 miles from you. If you like you can come over and buy me lunch, let me drive your car as I don't have mine yet and I would be happy to look at it for you. Well at least give me a ride to lunch!! Good luck Scott.

Sorry about your car. That is my biggest fear as mine will be a daily driver. The evidence of paint work can be minimized of done properly by a reputable shop. The evidence of paint work performed by anything less than that will be noticeable. First you must learn some terminology to help you better understand what process your car will go through and also reassure that the repair shop understands that you expect a quality job.

The stripes must be removed to avoid a paint line and build up at the edge of the stripe. This will also allow a better gradual blend of the base coat color.

Using a quality catalyzed primer is a must to minimize shrinkage and lifting of sanding scratches. This also helps prevent chemical reaction's such as lifting or wrinkling. It is important that the repair tech also use a guide coat over his primer so that the block sanding process is flawless. This process should be done as many times as necessary (at least twice) to assure that no waves are visible after it is painted. The primer that I use cost $120.00 per gallon and the catalyst costs an additional $45 per quart.

At least one coat of sealer over the primer is also recommended to minimize sanding scratches. This can also be purchased tinted to assist with a base color.

Factory mix paint should be ordered and not mixed at your local paint supply shop. This will assist in the blend and paint match. You are at the mercy of human error to put it politely if you have them mix it.

Make sure quality paint and clear coat is used such as the PPG Deltron system. I stopped doing customer work over 5 years ago but had some 10 year jobs out there that looked as good as the day they left the shop. Proper owner care as well and good prep helped but the quality of paint was imperative.

I have to do shift change now and will edit and complete my post this afternoon. I am also 80 miles from you and can assist you in finding the right shop if you like.

That is REALLY NICE :cry: Makes me like this site more and more :wub::grouphug:

Well, it looks like my car will never be "original" again. The worst possible thing that someone could do, has been done.

Saturday afternoon I installed my dash plaque and one of the sill plates. Feeling thirsty, I ran inside to tell my wife that I was going to run and grab some beer. My plan was to run down to 7-11, grab a 12 pack and be back in 10 minutes. My wife said that she needed some coffee for the morning and asked if I'd grab that while I was out. That changed where I was going but I said "no problem". I proceeded to the local grocery store and parked at the end of the center row. I walked straight into the building, straight to the coffee row, grabbed the can of coffee, walked straight to the self checkout without any wait, paid cash and walked out the door. The passenger side of the car was facing the building so I didn't see anything until I went around the back of my car and went to grab the door handle. This is what I was greeted with:

I looked around and didn't see anyone in the parking lot. Just cars. I'm telling you, I couldn't have been in the store more than 2 minutes, max. I immediately went inside and asked to speak to the manager so I could review the security tape. It turns out that the "manager" doesn't know anything about that fancy survailance system they got hooked up. He said I would have to talk to the store director who doesn't come back to work until Monday. So, I called the police. Since I didn't see anyone do it, all they could do was take my information. They said that they would assign a detective in a week or so to the case and that he would give me a call. The odds of them figuring out who did it and me getting revenge, uh I mean restitution, are about nil.

I just can't believe that anyone would do that. The pictures bad but the scratch is so deep it looks like it's into the metal. I don't think there's anyway they are going to be able to repair it without it being noticable. The paint won't match unless they paint the entire panels. You know the insurance company won't sign up for that. I'm thinking about not even filing a claim with the insurance company. I have a $500 deductable and they will probably only pay for repainting the area that was keyed. If they do that, you will more than likely be able to see that it was repaired. Maybe it's time to repaint the entire thing and add some ghost flames....

My heart goes out to ya '07. That picture just makes me sick. Good luck in finding out who did it, hell if you are able to get a copy of the tape post it so we can all be on the outlook for the SOB. Never know when one might happen to be driving through Florida, stop for gas and see the a-hole working behind the counter.

DJ

Absolutely disgusting! :censored: Sorry to see that!

Though not in the same league of car, I had a similar thing happen to my Civic. I came out and found a guy running around the car and then he jumped back into his truck with his buddies. I recognized that it was the truck that I dusted off back at the previous light. He was pissed that he lost to a Civic...LOL :hysterical2::hysterical2: I can laugh about it now, but was pissed then. I went back into the store to ask for the security tapes and they said their system wasn't working. :censored: Insurance covered everything above deductible. He got my door and rear quaterpanel just like yours. He pushed so hard with his key that he actually dented the metal.

My Shelby and '69 vert are always with me. I will never leave them in a parking lot with one exception-- a car show where there are tons of nice cars. Even then, I'm within sprinting distance. You just can't trust anybody these days.

Very sorry to see that. I thought mine was bad. About two months ago I took the Shelby out for a spin. I stopped two places, a Mailboxes Etc, for 5 min and a local car show for about 1 1/2 hours. The next day when I was washing the car I noticed a key scratch from the driver side front fender mid tire to side mirror. Luckily it was only in the clearcoat. I was devastated. I plan on having it buffed out, but for now with some good wax it is not very noticeable. Best of luck on the repair and hope you catch him.

Thanks for all the kind words and suggestions on how to "bring justice". :devil: I've been healing the last couple days. :beerchug: :party: :tequila: :tequila: I still can't go into the garage to see it but I have to tomorrow morning to let the insurance company look at it. I called Albertsons and they said that only the police can request a copy of the tape. The police said it would take up to a week before a detective was assigned to the case. Then I remembered that a friend of my wife had a husband that was on the police department. I had her give a call to her friend and 20 minutes later, I received a call from the police saying that they had assigned a detective and were contacting Albertsons to get a copy of the vid. :happy feet: Ten minutes later I got another call from the police saying that they called the grocery store and that they said that the front of the store didn't have a camera. :banghead: I told them that I looked at the front of the building and noticed two of them when it happened. That is the reason I went inside to see if I could see the tape. There are two cameras looking out at the parking lot. I'm starting to think that the store director is in on it. :devil2:

Thanks for all the kind words and suggestions on how to "bring justice". :devil: I've been healing the last couple days. :beerchug: :party: :tequila: :tequila: I still can't go into the garage to see it but I have to tomorrow morning to let the insurance company look at it. I called Albertsons and they said that only the police can request a copy of the tape. The police said it would take up to a week before a detective was assigned to the case. Then I remembered that a friend of my wife had a husband that was on the police department. I had her give a call to her friend and 20 minutes later, I received a call from the police saying that they had assigned a detective and were contacting Albertsons to get a copy of the vid. :happy feet: Ten minutes later I got another call from the police saying that they called the grocery store and that they said that the front of the store didn't have a camera. :banghead: I told them that I looked at the front of the building and noticed two of them when it happened. That is the reason I went inside to see if I could see the tape. There are two cameras looking out at the parking lot. I'm starting to think that the store director is in on it. :devil2:

It would take a lot of :tequila: drink.gif and drunk.gif to get me through seeing my Shelby hurt like that. And then if I found him...beat.gif

Good Luck!!

07 Shlb,

We are all hurting for you. As many have said, that is a fear of most of us. I know I would need some serious therapy (and God help the little bastard if I caught him). I would also be in jail. Probably the best thing you can do is focus on getting your baby fixed and fixed right.

You have remined us not to take this car for granted and of all of the potential hazards of owning a car like this. Unfortunately we must all be constantly aware of the dangers lurking.

Thank you for sharing and please keep us posted on the repairs. I am sure it will work out for you. Hang tough!

:beatdeadhorse: I'm with Clint Eastwood on this one Well Me,Smith&Wesson aren't going to just let you walk outa here!!!

That really p-----s me off. Sorry to see it, hope they get those little buggers.

That makes me sick, but I know how you feel. Someone keyed my other "nice" car about 10 years ago. Never did find out who it was. I was at a show this past weekend where one guy was using his fist and banging on cars to see if they had bondo in them. I walked up to him and said "What the F&*( do you think you're doing?" He told me he was looking for bondo...and I said "You have no right to bang on anyone's car...now leave the show or I'll call the police". He was shocked, but left immediately. His argument was that he was hitting them softly so he wasn't doing any damage...I explained to him that I don't care....he shouldn't even lay his pinky finger on a car that old/expensive (the car he was doing this on by the time I caught up to him was a 1919 vehicle...I'll post pics in another thread. Some people just have no respect.

Back to your car....hang in there and get a good shop to fix it for you....they'll get it looking good.

Dave

Whoever did that should be shot. What would cause a person to do something like that? :censored::banghead:

I'm sorry to see that happen.

I think with most insurance companies you have a right to choose the body shop who does you restorative work. Choose a reputable body shop who will guarentee their work and color matching.

Good luck.

JF

I just met with the insurance adjuster. He was pretty cool. He was just as disgusted about it as myself. He said that he is going to right up the claim so that they repaint the entire driver side of the car. They will also replace the stripes, cobra and door handle. He even gave me the name of a shop that specializes in high end vehicles and custom paint jobs. He said that they are considerably more expensive than most places but well worth the cost. At least I know now that the insurance company is on my side to make sure it's done right and will pay what it takes to get it right. :banana piano:

Now all I have to do is find the individual that put me in this position. :rip:

07, sorry to see! I have had nice cars and this was my worst worry. I agree with the masses that this car will attract the guy and the bad. Some want to see and some want to be jerks. I hope it all works out and the memory fades with the paint job.

07 SHLB,

I am glad you found a good bodyshop to fix your baby. Sounds like the insurance agent is on your side. I hope your GT500 makes a full and complete recovery.

I had a similar thing happen when I drove my wife's 300C SRT8 to work one day (before my GT500 was delivered) and someone did a hit and run ON BASE. Ripped the entire rear bumper cover off. Military Police said "No camera, no witness, no case". So we paid out of pocket for a quality shop to do the repair. Came out good as new.

Now, whenever you decide to launch your retaliation/revenge/justice Operation, let me know. I am in. I can be there with a days notice. I can always find a reason to go TDY to Tampa, being that I am in a Special Ops unit and all and Tampa is the HQ for US Special Operations Command. Being that I am a Human Intelligence/Counterinteligence guy, when we find the scumbag who did it, I can make his life interesting. Confession being good for the soul and all.

-Darkside

07 SHLB,

I am glad you found a good bodyshop to fix your baby. Sounds like the insurance agent is on your side. I hope your GT500 makes a full and complete recovery.

I had a similar thing happen when I drove my wife's 300C SRT8 to work one day (before my GT500 was delivered) and someone did a hit and run ON BASE. Ripped the entire rear bumper cover off. Military Police said "No camera, no witness, no case". So we paid out of pocket for a quality shop to do the repair. Came out good as new.

Now, whenever you decide to launch your retaliation/revenge/justice Operation, let me know. I am in. I can be there with a days notice. I can always find a reason to go TDY to Tampa, being that I am in a Special Ops unit and all and Tampa is the HQ for US Special Operations Command. Being that I am a Human Intelligence/Counterinteligence guy, when we find the scumbag who did it, I can make his life interesting. Confession being good for the soul and all.

-Darkside

WOW. Glad you're on our side...

07 SHLB,

-Darkside

07SHLB, Well at least the insurance is helpful in this time of :cry:

The Force be with you Darkside!! Help find him, persuade him to confess :cold:beat.gif :finger:

beat.gif

Archived