TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New 2011 Kona Blue GT500 owner!

Hey! I just bought a 2011 Kona Blue, stripe delete, nav and SVTPP GT500! This car is amazing! I have never owned anything like it! My other Mustangs were all Foxbody's. This takes the cake!

I do have a few questions. One is how low RPM would one want to drive before it would be considered "lugging" the engine? I get the "shift" lite coming on at like 55-60 mph in fifth. But when I put it in sixth,

the RPMS are at like 1250 according to the stock RPM gauge.

Second, is "Advancetrac" traction control? If so, why don't they just call it traction control? Is their some other features it provides over just traction control (BTW, I don't have an owners manual)?

Third, when setting up the Bluetooth, where is the mic in the car?

Thanks in advance for any help! I'll post up a pic or two as soon as I can get situated on a computer long enough to load them up.

Edited by sflrainmaker01

Some good general info in this pdf for you, including a bit of an explanation on the Advancetrac

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/11mussg1e.pdf

I have an 08 myselfl, but have no trouble going into 6th gear anywhere over 40mph with my normal/mild driving.

If you are going to use 1/4 throtte or more, make sure that you down shift though, heavy throttle in a high gear will be harder on the clutch.

Hey! Welcome aboard!!

The Bluetooth mics are located in the mirror. Look for a very small round hole.

Ignore the upshift arrow. If you ever get a tune, ask them to turn that feature off. A great rule of thumb is never use 6th gear unless you are on the interstate. Fifth gear is great for everything under those speeds. Lugging the engine is bad because it puts a big load on the tops of the pistons, which puts more force on the connecting rod and crankshaft bearings, which squeezes out the oil from the journals. Since oil pressure is directly related to engine speed, at low rpms, you have lower oil pressure which COULD cause damage if it was lugged bad/long enough. For this car only, anything under 1500 rpms is lugging in my book, and don't use 6th unless you are on the highway.

AdvanceTrac, at least how I take it from Ford, is the name they give both the traction and stability control systems. Pressing the traction button, located near the e-brake, turns the traction control off, but leaves the vehicle stability control on. Stability control keeps the back end from fish-tailing, and keeps you out of the weeds. I recommend you never turn the stability control off. This car has a short wheelbase, lots of power, and all the weight on the front, a recipe for disaster, even with a pro driver.

The stability control part of AdvanceTrac can be turned off, or put in sport mode. To do this, you do a combination of steps using the traction button, and the brake pedal. You can find out more about that in the manual. Sport mode lets you hang the back end out more than the normal programming would allow. I typically run with the traction control off all the time, but I always keep the stability control on.

I will add that the traction control will not stop wheel spin at anything over half throttle. If you floor it in first gear, you can easily out power the traction control. It can no way harness the power of this engine at full throttle.

Edited by ShelbyGT5HUN

The biggest strain on your pistons, connecting rods, crank & bearings etc by far will come from excessive boost/timing combination, excessive rpm or detonation (timing, low octane fuel etc).

Stay away from those nasties and your life will be a much happier one.

Lack of oil pressure at low rpm would normally only occur if there were an internal leak due to excessive crank or rod bearing clearances, or a failing oil pump or pump bypass.

There could be other factors as well, but most would not be a concern on a stock motor.