TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Limited Edition Sebring Cobra?

David Hawkins

Excited to see the new small manufacturers law helping out Shelby. Cool to see the new turnkey units! There's quite a few other companies that are ramping up production of turnkey awesomeness!

When they say "turnkey", I do wonder who is going to be building it. My CSX 7972 was ordered through DenBeste, has the Shelby Engines 331 with Webers, and was built and completed by Tom at Speedway in Las Vegas. I really doubt much will change in that sequence (unless SAI hires their own builders), but you will get a real title I guess, not an MSO, which will be an improvement.

When they say "turnkey", I do wonder who is going to be building it. My CSX 7972 was ordered through DenBeste, has the Shelby Engines 331 with Webers, and was built and completed by Tom at Speedway in Las Vegas. I really doubt much will change in that sequence (unless SAI hires their own builders), but you will get a real title I guess, not an MSO, which will be an improvement.

I am more wondering about how Steve Becker will handle this.

In regard to the engine. I doubt Ford is going to sit back and let Chevrolet and Mopar own the engine market for these small manufacturers because collectively it is a potentially big market. They most likely already have something in development that will be out soon.

What about the Coyote crate engine? I saw one in what I think was a Backdraft Cobra last year at Mark's Cruise.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/coyote-crate-engine/

The Coyote is expected but so far has not been approved for use. Yeah, Ford is late to this game.

The Backdraft cars would still fall under the old rules, not under the new 250-year-sold-as-complete-vehicles rules.

By the way, a Cobra with a Coyote (modern engine) has a very limited market. I know of noone that would put anything but an original era engine in a Cobra. Some might but the numbers would be very small.

By the way, a Cobra with a Coyote (modern engine) has a very limited market. I know of noone that would put anything but an original era engine in a Cobra. Some might but the numbers would be very small.

+1, I would never buy an SAI Cobra CSX with anything except a vintage design FoMoCo engine, 289 or 427 derivative, most I know feel the same way.

+1, I would never buy an SAI Cobra CSX with anything except a vintage design FoMoCo engine, 289 or 427 derivative, most I know feel the same way.

I just can't grok a Cobra with catalytic converters. The thought of it just made me nauseous SAI or not, even people that get Backdraft and Factory Five put a REAL ENGINE in them.

Maybe they will use the Chevy crate one that is emission compliant......... :)

From the press release:

"Just like the 1960s racecar, the series will feature a widened front and rear fenders, cut-back doors, more aggressive dampers, racing wheels featuring the pin-drive hub, oil cooler scoops and a 289 small block engine"

Sounds like they're planning on FoMoCo motors................

With the new Low Volume Manufacturers Bill being passed, I don’t think the market is limited for the Coyote in a cobra…nor is any engine limited. Sure there are going to be old schoolers and purists who think otherwise, but what these people are not taking in to account is that this new bill opens up the market to a lot more people than just “purists”.

I am not being disparaging of the younger generation when I say that a majority of them do not want to wrench on their cars like some of the older people. Yes, older guys who grew up when Shelby unleashed the Shelby Cobra on the world want to see the 289 or 427, and they want something they are familiar with and can tinker with. However, this bill is going to allow a younger and worldwide buying group to just walk in or throw down the cash and buy a “turnkey” cobra with an engine of their choosing. They don’t have the nostalgia driven purchasing criteria of the older buying group, and they don’t want to have to tinker with the car engine constantly…..they want performance and better economy. They are more conscious of vehicle emissions……. and they want to drive not wrench. I think we will see everything from 4cyl Ecoboosts, 4.6L, 5.0 Coyotes, 289’s, 427’s and maybe even 5.2 FPC’s.

It is good to keep an open and creative mindset, after all, that’s the real reason the Original Shelby Cobra was born, because Carroll was open minded and creative enough to shove a V-8 in to a “roller” that was typically powered by a 4 cylinder. If enough of these new Cobra cars are born, it may open some new classes of racing. From this bill passing, I for one think it would be cool to have a 4, 6 and 8 cylinder SCCA league of “Shelby Cobra Racing” brackets eventually develop. I think Carroll would have liked the idea of something like that developing.

What if they use a Fuel Injection set up that looks like a Carb?

I've seen them, Weber and Holley fakes, but is pretty obvious what they are, but even with that, I doubt they would pass emissions without a whole bunch of computers, sensors, wires, and harnesses, and they would have to be certified CARB engines. And I think that is all fine it they can do it, but to put out a Sebring Anniversary model that is supposed to be just like the original (like my 50th FIA is) that has a power plant and drivetrain that is nothing at all like the original just defeats the purpose and very few will pay a huge premium (I'm sure well over $100K for this) for that.

Archived