TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Flying out Tommorow to Pick "her " Up & Drive Home: Need Advice

M5

This is great to post here as a owner.(Tommorrow) My wife says she has never seen me so excited over a car in her life. I keep telling her it is more than just a car. I was born in 67 & I got 07 !!!!! I was surfing and hit the original sight a couple years ago before it was moved to Stangs Unleashed and posted a couple of times. I'll tell you guyz a funny story. I was hooked on Bimmers for a long time. I then saw a picture of the GT 500 on June 2005 issue of Hot Rod Magazine. I was hooked instantly. I have not really had fun driving my Bimmers ever since. I kept wishing it was the GT 500. It Just doesnt do it for me for me anymore. I have collected every Magazine that has had the Car on the Cover since. My expectation is a completly different driving experience. I have never driven the Car. My experience is with the E46 M3 & E39 M5 and E46 323 CI so any one that has driven these please give me a heads up. A couple of quick questions.

A. I am curious about how long the Clutch Throw is & no Independant Rear Suspension and the how it effects handling.

B. Break in period what Rev limits should I be cautious of and how often should I very speed on the ride home for the 350 mile trip. (She has 41 miles on her now)

C. What Organizations & Clubs should I join that are fun and worth while

D. Light Bar installation (Should I purchase off of the Shelby Site ) & What Problems has anyone had with the light Bar installation or did it effect on the Top.

E. Suspension reccomendations?

Thank you guys & gals for the warm welcome I am so pumped to be here

BTW

Black Convert

White Side Stripe

Interior Upgrade

No Nav/No Shaker 1000 I wanted trunk space

I am already buying the billet cup holder, Shift boot trim Boyz I am outa control :)

Welcome and congrats...

I've only been on a few months but really love it here. A great bunch of guys...and a stray dog and a tremendous amount of talent and knowledge.

What I've learned with my experience and my Shelby is to try to take baby steps and understand that every mod isn't for every person. Some here want more drag technology, some want more road track, some want more street, some want more highway and some don't want to give up the somewhat "gentle" ride this beast has. Try to define in your mind how you see your Shelby, what you want it to excel at, and then dig and read, read, read....then ask questions when you come a time you're about to make the buy.

One thing is, since I've been on here, more and more products are being released for the GT500, some good, some bad. But there is always someone with more knowledge of their application that can inform the others how the outcome of using such product might affect their GT500 and the way they want it to be.

Rear suspension is something I'm researching and about to upgrade, but there are many different answers to that question I've found. All I want to do is lower the car a little and stop the insane (and what should have been addressed) wheel hop. With that, I've been told by different vendors that all I need is springs and lower control arms to achieve my goal, others add camber adjust bolts for the lowering, others still add an adjustable panhard bar, and one added all of this, plus new remount kits for the bar, LCA's, springs and a couple of other things. So I'm trying to wade through what IS exactly needed to JUST lower the car, stop the wheel hop, and keep a somewhat civilized ride about it. I have yet have warm and fuzzy feelings about any one vendor. I've felt they either didn't know enough about the other components of the GT500 or care about them (Like Eibach saying all you need is springs...period) Or on the other end, a vendor telling me I need to replace everything listed or it won't work, and feeling he's just a salesman on a commisson. So for me, the answer hasn't presented itself.

I can tell you personally. I do own the Corsa axle backs and they are wonderful. I am going to use Eibachs and whatever else needed to lower the car safely, stop the wheel hop and still keep a decent ride about it.

And believe one vendor on here has a good lead in R&D of performance mods specifically for the GT500, and I will be using Evolution Perf. for the Stage 1 performance upgrade.

I got my GT500 with 7 miles on it, I was told, at 50 starts or 5 miles the computer releases the lockout on the blower and you should see boost when stepped on. I don't remember reading much more about a break in. I believe the rev limiter is set to 6200, and top speed governor of 155. I didn't get anywhere close to those numbers for about 1000 miles...took me that long just to get used the the power and handling. :hysterical: When I picked mine up I drove back at 50 to 75, and it was about 120 miles. The best thing you can do is become very familiar with your GT500 supplement book, it's full of a ton of info, and also the seach feature on this site. I've found old threads that people have had with just the right answer to my question.

The S197Owners Assoc. is who I belong to, and is a good club, they have a forum on here as well. A great bunch of people.

I have a vert but haven't done the light bar yet, haven't made up my mind on that. But there are a few out there from different vendors. What I have learned is that some supply the cut off switch for the high brake light when the top is up and some you have to buy an extra switch for it... So do your homework.

With your experience in so many other vehicles, chances are you may want something more robust in the suspension area. Like I said above, there are just a couple things I want, and every week, more vendors are making things available.

Car care is another popular thread or threads on here. I've seen one owner lose about a third of his side stripes to a commercial car wash. So be sure and do a search and look up what everyone is doing.

I had my vert delivered with painted over the top stripes and the vinyl side stripes. It never sees any type high pressure wash or harsh detergents. And use good waxes and cleaners.

Well hope this helps, be sure to take pics of the delivery and ride home to post on here.

And if it's like so many here, don't be surprised if you pull into Sonic for a coke and at least one or two people don't snap a cell phone shot of your car. :banana piano:

Enjoy!!!!

Welcome and congrats...

I've only been on a few months but really love it here. A great bunch of guys...and a stray dog and a tremendous amount of talent and knowledge.

What I've learned with my experience and my Shelby is to try to take baby steps and understand that every mod isn't for every person. Some here want more drag technology, some want more road track, some want more street, some want more highway and some don't want to give up the somewhat "gentle" ride this beast has. Try to define in your mind how you see your Shelby, what you want it to excel at, and then dig and read, read, read....then ask questions when you come a time you're about to make the buy.

One thing is, since I've been on here, more and more products are being released for the GT500, some good, some bad. But there is always someone with more knowledge of their application that can inform the others how the outcome of using such product might affect their GT500 and the way they want it to be.

Rear suspension is something I'm researching and about to upgrade, but there are many different answers to that question I've found. All I want to do is lower the car a little and stop the insane (and what should have been addressed) wheel hop. With that, I've been told by different vendors that all I need is springs and lower control arms to achieve my goal, others add camber adjust bolts for the lowering, others still add an adjustable panhard bar, and one added all of this, plus new remount kits for the bar, LCA's, springs and a couple of other things. So I'm trying to wade through what IS exactly needed to JUST lower the car, stop the wheel hop, and keep a somewhat civilized ride about it. I have yet have warm and fuzzy feelings about any one vendor. I've felt they either didn't know enough about the other components of the GT500 or care about them (Like Eibach saying all you need is springs...period) Or on the other end, a vendor telling me I need to replace everything listed or it won't work, and feeling he's just a salesman on a commisson. So for me, the answer hasn't presented itself.

I can tell you personally. I do own the Corsa axle backs and they are wonderful. I am going to use Eibachs and whatever else needed to lower the car safely, stop the wheel hop and still keep a decent ride about it.

And believe one vendor on here has a good lead in R&D of performance mods specifically for the GT500, and I will be using Evolution Perf. for the Stage 1 performance upgrade.

I got my GT500 with 7 miles on it, I was told, at 5 starts or 50 miles the computer releases the lockout on the blower and you should see boost when stepped on. I don't remember reading much more about a break in. I believe the rev limiter is set to 6200, and top speed governor of 155. I didn't get anywhere close to those numbers for about 1000 miles...took me that long just to get used the the power and handling. :hysterical: When I picked mine up I drove back at 50 to 75, and it was about 120 miles. The best thing you can do is become very familiar with your GT500 supplement book, it's full of a ton of info, and also the seach feature on this site. I've found old threads that people have had with just the right answer to my question.

The S197Owners Assoc. is who I belong to, and is a good club, they have a forum on here as well. A great bunch of people.

I have a vert but haven't done the light bar yet, haven't made up my mind on that. But there are a few out there from different vendors. What I have learned is that some supply the cut off switch for the high brake light when the top is up and some you have to buy an extra switch for it... So do your homework.

With your experience in so many other vehicles, chances are you may want something more robust in the suspension area. Like I said above, there are just a couple things I want, and every week, more vendors are making things available.

Car care is another popular thread or threads on here. I've seen one owner lose about a third of his side stripes to a commercial car wash. So be sure and do a search and look up what everyone is doing.

I had my vert delivered with painted over the top stripes and the vinyl side stripes. It never sees any type high pressure wash or harsh detergents. And use good waxes and cleaners.

Well hope this helps, be sure to take pics of the delivery and ride home to post on here.

And if it's like so many here, don't be surprised if you pull into Sonic for a coke and at least one or two people don't snap a cell phone shot of your car. :banana piano:

Enjoy!!!!

"I got my GT500 with 7 miles on it, I was told, at 5 starts or 50 miles the computer releases the lockout on the blower and you should see boost when stepped on."

Actually, that is 50 starts or 5 miles.

Texas Shelby & SC

Thank you for the warm and thorough welcome!!!!!!!! TS the advice on the suspension will be well heeded and just what I needed as a babe in the woods. Based on your wheel hop comment I am begining my own search for the suspension first. I have a preconcieved idea about it, but assumptions are costly, but she does ride high in back and I will share any and all usefull information I can get my hands on. I hope to contribute to the board so I should become a member of the S1970 owners. Painted Stripes? Did you get them done locally or from the Factory? Very nice performance white with Lemans blue..... My second favorite :) Seriously wanted it in a coupe but I have kids and they would enjoy the vert. Will love to share my thoughts on detailing with the gang. Evo upgrade & Corsa.... the mod list begins. It amazes me that guys are drag racing with these bad boys they are meant to be driven. I would be more of a track guy but not with a vert I am not. Pics will follow & the i-pod is set for the 6 hour drive home been working on the driving music for the last hour. I need a life no I need a Shelby. And that magazine kicked it all off..... Its already been an experience and I havent even turned the key. Thanks again. & I will look forward to comparing notes.

Welcome and congrats on the car, M5. You're gonna love it. This site definitely contains a wealth of information and individuals.

D. Light Bar installation (Should I purchase off of the Shelby Site ) & What Problems has anyone had with the light Bar installation or did it effect on the Top.

I installed the CDC light bar in mine and I love it...really should have been factory IMO. Its the same one sold by Shelby, Steeda, and CDC themselves (all the same price). There have been a few cases (mine included) where the top rubs slightly on the bar when up. I've been told that CDC is working on a fix...here's the post. If you plan on ordering the 40th Ann. or SuperSnake package from Shelby Autos, get the light bar from them...they'll deduct it from the package price when you get it (or so I hear). Also, its a fairly easy install if you want to do it yourself.

I agree what the others have said. The stock suspension is pretty soft and definitely prone to wheel-hop. You might be a little disappointed coming from an M5. My wife has a 330i and that thing handles like a SOB, rock solid...so I have an idea of what you're used to. However, most of the unpleasantness found on the Shelby can be easily remedied. Usually swapping out the LCAs and UCA will get rid of the hop. On hard launches/acceleration the car leans WAY back...like a plane taking off. Its a very comfortable street ride, but its heavy and has a tendency to float a bit in the corners. I'm leaning towards the Shelby/Eibach Pro Plus setup (1.5" drop), but like others have said, there's really not been anything out there to make me pull the trigger yet.

I'd also recommend the Shelby signed dash plaque & sill plates....just don't expect them to arrive for a few months. There's plenty of posts here about the subject.

One thing I was pleasantly suprised with was the seats....VERY comfortable and hold you in place. They're one of my favorite things about the Shelby.

Welcome again and have a safe trip home. Remember to post pics!

This is great to post here as a owner.(Tommorrow) My wife says she has never seen me so excited over a car in her life. I keep telling her it is more than just a car. I was born in 67 & I got 07 !!!!! I was surfing and hit the original sight a couple years ago before it was moved to Stangs Unleashed and posted a couple of times. I'll tell you guyz a funny story. I was hooked on Bimmers for a long time. I then saw a picture of the GT 500 on June 2005 issue of Hot Rod Magazine. I was hooked instantly. I have not really had fun driving my Bimmers ever since. I kept wishing it was the GT 500. It Just doesnt do it for me for me anymore. I have collected every Magazine that has had the Car on the Cover since. My expectation is a completly different driving experience. I have never driven the Car. My experience is with the E46 M3 & E39 M5 and E46 323 CI so any one that has driven these please give me a heads up. A couple of quick questions.

A. I am curious about how long the Clutch Throw is & no Independant Rear Suspension and the how it effects handling.

B. Break in period what Rev limits should I be cautious of and how often should I very speed on the ride home for the 350 mile trip. (She has 41 miles on her now)

C. What Organizations & Clubs should I join that are fun and worth while

Thank you guys & gals for the warm welcome I am so pumped to be here

BTW

Black Convert

White Side Stripe

Interior Upgrade

No Nav/No Shaker 1000 I wanted trunk space

I am already buying the billet cup holder, Shift boot trim Boyz I am outa control :)

Welcome and good luck with your Shelby!

Here are some clubs that are worth while Joining.

S197 SHELBY OWNERS ASSOC. (ON THIS SITE)

SVT COBRA MUSTANG CLUB

SPECIAL VEHICLE TEAM OWNERS ASSOCIATION

MUSTANG CLUB OF AMERICA

There are many more just google them

These are the ones that I belong to.

Archived