TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Differential cooler

An owner on one of the forums had the diff cooler complete, line/hose assy's, pump, cooler, I think there was some sort of scoop for the cooler? brackets and maybe even the cover for about $400 about a year ago. He was also selling his transmission cooler set up, the line/hose assy's, the cooler, and maybe it was that cooler that had a scoop to direct the air. Both cooler set ups were pictured laying on a garage floor and it was hard to tell exactly how they mounted under the car. The transmission cooler was priced the same, approx. $400 if I remember correctly.

The only problem with the transmission cooler kit is that the transmission houses the pump in the sump, so without the transmission, other arrangements would have to be made to move the fluid.

For $400ea., I thought it was a great deal on either of these take-offs.

R

Thanks! I was looking into selling my differential cooler system and rotors and calipers but wasn't sure what to ask. I could take a pic with it laid out to show each part. However not sure I want to sell it for only $400. These parts cost $3500 and $3000 as an add-on. I think they are worth more than $400. Shipping may be a problem with some of these lines in the differential cooler too. They are long. But if anybody needs these then let me know and may we can work out something. Particularly if I don't have to ship. The caliper and rotors could be shipped ok but not sure about the cooler system lines.

Edited by CR2013GT500

Thanks! I was looking into selling my differential cooler system and rotors and calipers but wasn't sure what to ask. I could take a pic with it laid out to show each part. However not sure I want to sell it for only $400. These parts cost $3500 and $3000 as an add-on. I think they are worth more. Shipping may be a problem with some of these lines in the differential cooler too. They are long. But if anybody needs these then let me know and may we can work out something. Particularly if I don't have to ship. The caliper and rotors could be shipped ok but not sure about the cooler system.

I agree with you about the $400.

R

Unless the buyer has a 2013/14 GT500 Coupe with the Performance Package, they will have to get a new main body wiring harness. The wiring for the diff cooler pump and temp sensor is only in the coupes SVTPP wiring harness. Not to mention any computer related problems and relay.

This is from the 2014 Mustang Service Manual

post-37352-0-90760400-1463460149_thumb.jpg

Differential Cooler

Overview

The differential oil cooler increases axle performance and extends axle life by maintaining the differential oil temperature within a predetermined threshold. This is accomplished by the PCM through the use of a temperature sensor, an electric oil pump, a relay and an oil cooler.

System Operation

Differential Cooler

The PCM continually monitors the temperature of the rear differential lubricant. When the temperature reaches a predetermined threshold, the PCM activates the oil pump through the use of a relay. The oil is pumped to the cooler, cooled and returns to the differential. The PCM keeps the oil pump activated until the oil temperature is retuned to normal operating parameters. If the PCM is unable to reduce the oil temperature, a message is sent to the IPC to alert the driver through the message center. If the temperature continues to rise, the PCM sends another message once an upper limit threshold has been reached.

Component Description

PCM

The PCM monitors the inputs and any HS-CAN messages that relate to the differential cooler system and controls the oil pump activation.

When a new PCM is installed, the module must be programmed with the vehicle configuration information. For additional information on module programming, refer to Section 418-01.

Oil Temperature Sensor

The oil temperature sensor is a negative temperature coefficient thermistor that is hardwired to the PCM. The electrical resistance of the thermistor decreases as temperature increases, and the resistance increases as the temperature decreases. The varying resistance affects the voltage drop across the sensor terminals and provides electrical signals to the PCM corresponding to temperature.

Oil Pump Relay

The oil pump relay is a 4-pin, mini ISO relay.

Oil Pump

The oil pump uses a single speed motor and an impeller to move the differential oil through the cooler system.

Oil Cooler

The oil cooler is a air-to-liquid heat exchanger utilizing cooling fins to dissipate the heat from the differential oil as it passes through the cooler.

Edited by Snoopy49

Interesting. Do we suppose the harnesses for the SVTTP and SVTPP are the same, and that the hardware for the SVTTP are pretty much bolt-on? I realize that is a leap, just hoping for clarification.

Interesting. Do we suppose the harnesses for the SVTTP and SVTPP are the same, and that the hardware for the SVTTP are pretty much bolt-on? I realize that is a leap, just hoping for clarification.

I would think the wiring and connectors are on all 2013/2014s and even the PCM the same. You could check to see if you have a connector for each. The pump connector is up over the axle in a group of wiring and sensor on the passenger side forward of the axle. Would need pics to show exactly.

Only

Only the Coupe with SVT PP has the correct harness. That's one reason why you can only get the SVT TP option on a SVT PP coupe and not a SVTPP convertible. There are 4 different body wiring harnesses available, 2 for the coupe (SVT PP & non SVT PP) and 2 for the convertible (SVT PP & non SVT PP).

Only if it is a coupe. That would be your best chance of selling it or someone with the TP interested in it for spares. The PCM may need to be reprogramed in order to use it on a non TP car.

Someone without the SVT PP coupe wiring harness would have to fabricate a new wiring harness for the differential cooler pump and temp sensor and tie into the output shaft speed sensor. They would also have to buy a relay for the pump. Refer to the wiring diagram attachment in post #9.

I've looked through all the files in my PCM via HP Tuner and don't find anything pertaining to the differential cooler. Not sure why it would need PCM programming to work. If so then all it needs to work are the connectors on a coupe with SVT PP???

PCM

The PCM monitors the inputs and any HS-CAN messages that relate to the differential cooler system and controls the oil pump activation.

When a new PCM is installed, the module must be programmed with the vehicle configuration information. For additional information on module programming, refer to Section 418-01.