TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Feeling a bit concerned with the 2012

cormy

Took my newly purchased 2012 out tonight for a good run for the first time.

I cant believe but it is slower than my traded 2008.. :( I thought they would be at least the same?

This just a seat of the pants comparison, nothing verifiable, but for instance, being in 3rd, flooring it would put me back in my seat in the 08, the '12 doesn't do that and seems to take a while to catch up.

The 08 did have CAI, a 91 octane tune and 2.6 SC pulley installed. I thought the 3.73 gears in this one would make up for that. Some 6 series BMW blew by tonight like I was standing still.

HOPING a 2.6 SC pulley and tune from VMP will bring it back to specs and relieve a little bit of my buyers remorse.

PLEASE no comments about me putting the car down..just honest thoughts welcome.

The 10-12 are very similar to the 07-09. They essentially have a better tune with a CAI. Doesn't surprise me that your 08 was faster.

Beat by a 6 series? I hope it was a M6...because that probably shouldn't have happened if it wasn't.

If you are comparing a car with a tune and pulley, to your stock 2012. there is NO comparison! I couldn't believe the difference in power from stock to the 2.6! It went from a car that couldn't get out of its own way, to a car that pretty much scares me in any gear now! Love it. Get that pulley on there, and you will have NO REMORSE, NO REGRETS :cool: !!

Did some research in a panic last night. It seems the usual bolt on's...pulley, tune and CAI... don't do much for the 10-12 models. I do understand the stock CAI is already on the 2012 and a aftermarket cant make much of a difference.

Research shows the 07-09's are more receptive to them. Hence my original query a few weeks ago regarding easy add on's and results for the 10-12 models.

Honestly, I'm thinking the only real choice for notable Hp increase with these is a supercharger upgrade, I welcome additional input..

Really do not want to put the cash out after purchasing the car this week, but to go down in performance isn't an option, at least I don't think.

Who ever thought 550Hp would be unsatisfying? :lol:

cormy,

First off, congratulations on your new ride. Only you will know when the feel is what you want/expect/demand it to be, but getting there is what makes it your car. I've been pretty conservative with my mods and subsequent tune, but have enjoyed getting there and the results that I've seen so far. I'm still on the stock blower, but have worked the engine with colder plugs, a FRPP throttle body, and increased cooling with both larger coolant tanks and a dual fan heat exchanger. Haven't gotten off the stock injectors yet, so there's still that to work. The point is there's still pieces to fiddle with - either before or after you make any change, so I would counsel looking at your mods as a continuing process that stops when you get the feeling you want when you put your right foot into it.

Like the guys above said, a pulley/tune/plugs combo will give you a change in feeling that will certainly be closer to the one you're setting as your goal. That's a legitimate good start to getting to where you want the car to be. Where the goal line is will be up to you, and that's the great joy of these beasts; they can reflect your personality and style in any form, from cruiser, to street rod, to strip shredder, to track star.

Take a moment to inventory what you like as well as what you don't like about your car, and go to work changing what needs to change.

Good luck with the mods.

All the best,

Quinn

Right. By the time and money spent on doing the usual, easy, relativily cheap upgrades, I think a one time install of a '13-14 5.8 Super Charger will satisfy my needs. And cost about the same in the end.

Looking for at least 600 HP, any thing over that is an added bonus.

Soon You will see a new post asking about the process and succeses of the above named procedure.

I have been asking a lot of questions, so I will calm down for a while.

If you get the pulley and tune, you'll be at about 550RWHP and around 625 flywheel HP. With the '13-'14 take-off TVS you'll be around 40HP more with no other changes. The pulley and tune is the best bang for the buck and a TVS has the most value and potential with supporting mods. :thumbsup:

I don't know..the research I saw was about a 21hp gain with the SCT Tuner from their page and 12hp or so with the pulley..from an American Muscle video.. or something to that effect..

Edited by cormy

The net gain of HP on the 2007-2009's is more, when you add the intake, pulley, and tune, because those model years are starting with less to begin with. The 2010's and up come with a legitimate cold air intake, and knock sensors. That allows for a tighter tune from the factory. Typically a 07-09 will dyno around 450 rwhp stock, a 2010+ will hit around 470rwhp. Throw a pulley and tune on both cars (cold air intake on the 07-09'), and they will both end up right around 535rwhp. So yes, the 07, "takes to mods better", because it had less to start with.

Edited by ShelbyGT5HUN