TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is Shelby American developing their own 2016/17 GT350?

mhr1961

Lack of power under 4000 rpm is a concern on the street. Now that I've broken mine in..... the low end grunt does make it feel slow on the street.

Edited by mach 1 1970

Are you sure that having the newest, latest, greatest thing on your block and among your friends played no role......... :hide:

Mike look @ what I've owned and believe me this car is something special. It has been over 7 months since I refused my first one .This car needs no excuses. Words can't explain the true sound and seat of the pants feel. It's got the moxie.

Its a boss 302 @ 150%. Plus the suspension

This is the final word on this. I'm not here to convince the non believers and really don't give a rats ass . Just can't understand how people who have not driven one chime in. Coming from a corvette it's always hard to explain to people you drive a mustang. Now I've got to explain to the mustang crowd. It's a catch 22!

Edited by mach 1 1970

Exactly! I've heard other guys bitch about the GT350 being a turd down low. These are people who own 350s. I could care less about "tracking" a Mustang. I guess Ford felt sorry for the 1% of the Mustang world who pine for another '69/'70 Boss 302 type Stang. A Mustang is and always has been a muscle car when purchased in its premium form. Mustang guys want a car with balls, big balls! Put a blower on a 350 and raise hell with the damn thing. Leave the road racing stuff to the preppy boys in their Boxsters and Gaymans.

It always cracks me up reading these types of comments on the SHELBY forums. Obviously from somebody who has no idea about the history of Shelby and how it all started. So now Carroll was apparently a preppy boy? Is that what you are getting at? Remember the Cobra or the original GT350? What was their purpose? And the new Ford GT, that's just for preppy boys also? I'm pretty sure that the event in Le Mans this weekend was a pretty big deal for Ford.

Edited by JeffJ

It always cracks me up reading these types of comments on the SHELBY forums. Obviously from somebody who has no idea about the history of Shelby and how it all started. So now Carroll was apparently a preppy boy? Is that what you are getting at? Remember the Cobra or the original GT350? What was their purpose? And the new Ford GT, that's just for preppy boys also? I'm pretty sure that the event in Le Mans this weekend was a pretty big deal for Ford.

You beat me to the punch. Carroll Shelby was "THE TRACK GUY" and wanted nothing more to win at the track. This individual has made several comments about how 99% of all Mustang owners could care less about the track and only care about straight line. He also has provided no proof to back up such a comment. I think Forrest Gump had a saying about that....

Bravado, bravado, bravado... blah, blah, blah. My balls are bigger than your balls. Etc.....

If you want a car that is good for about 2 minutes when hard on the throttle, then the GT500 is a good choice. If you want a car you can run hard all day long the GT500 is a poor choice. I should know. I own one (highly modified) and wish it would not fall on it's nose from a HP standpoint once the heat soak sets in. If you have a supercharged car, you just can not avoid it. It is going to happen. Just give it a rest fellas. As stated previously, the debate between supercharged vs. naturally aspirated has been argued ad nauseam.

This forum proves Mustang owners care about handling just as much or more then straight line speed. Based on my time on this forum more people track then drag on here. Power in my opinion gets old, once your up in the 500 plus HP range what does more do for you on streets? It's nothing more then something to brag about and most of the time it makes the car less fun. Handling never gets old, you can have fun without breaking every law and putting yours and others lives at risk.

Look at the New Vette, nearly every magazine says the regular Vette is a better car then the Z06, the Z06 apparently can't handle the power, the New GS is supposed to be even better.

If I were buying a New car to replace my Shelby GT it would more then likely be a GT350, part of me thinks about it, but I just can't give up my Shelby GT, I think I will regret it.

Different strokes for different folks, but I would take the GT350 all day long over a GT500.

Edited by carnut12

MY THOUGHTS

STRAIGHT LINE HP GET A;

SHELBY 1000, SHELBY COBRA 427, SHELBY SS, MODIFIED GT500, REGULAR GT500, COBRA JET, PRUDHOMME

ROAD COARSE TRACK GET A;

FORD GT NEW AND OLDER, SHELBY COBRA SM BLOCK, SHELBY GT350, SHELBY GT NEW AND OLDER, REGULAR GT500, SHELBY TERLINGUA, FOCUS, GT MUSTANG

OFF ROAD GET A;

SHELBY RAPTOR, FORD RAPTOR

TOW VEHICLE GET A;

NEW SHELBY F150, FORD F150-F350

AND IF YOU WANT TO BE A DREAMER LIKE ME, BUY SHELBY DIECAST! LOL

JUST THOUGHT I WOULD CHIME IN ON MY OPINIONS FOR SHELBY/FORD VEHICLE PURPOSES

Edited by Denstang65

ONE REASON I WHY THINK THOSE 350'S ARE SITTING ON THE LOTS, STILL, ARE BECAUSE OF THE PRICE! I ALSO BELIEVE IT IS BECAUSE OF THE SEPERATE PACKAGES THAT ARE OFFERED; TECH VS. TRAC. FROM WHAT I HEAR, THE 17 GT350 WILL COMBINE THE 2 INTO ONE PACKAGE. AS FAR AS A 2017 GT500, I HEARD THAT IS ONLY A SPECULATION.

MY THOUGHTS

STRAIGHT LINE HP GET A;

SHELBY 1000, SHELBY COBRA 427, SHELBY SS, MODIFIED GT500, REGULAR GT500, COBRA JET, PRUDHOMME

ROAD COARSE TRACK GET A;

FORD GT NEW AND OLDER, SHELBY COBRA SM BLOCK, SHELBY GT350, SHELBY GT NEW AND OLDER, REGULAR GT500, SHELBY TERLINGUA, FOCUS, GT MUSTANG

OFF ROAD GET A;

TOW VEHICLE GET A;

The Cobra 427 is not a straight line car. It's a track car. A few 289s were prepped for drag racing (the so called "Dragon Snakes") but all the rest are road track cars.

I have driven two, a regular and an R. They are just not for me, but I can see why some love them and think they are the best Mustang ever, no problem.

Hennessy will build you a supercharged GT 350 with 808 hp. That should hold you over for awhile . They are only making 50. 1/4 mile in the 10's . Check out their 0 to 170 mph run video . Just trying to get you in a 350. After reading some post over I didn't realize Mike is coming from a Porsche turbo S. That thing makes its power between 2100/4500 torque range no wonder the 350 feels slow.

Edited by mach 1 1970

Hennessy will build you a supercharged GT 350 with 808 hp. That should hold you over for awhile . They are only making 50. 1/4 mile in the 10's . Check out their 0 to 170 mph run video . Just trying to get you in a 350.

But how many times? Hennessy's warranty is specific: It covers their changes. You're on your own for the engine. I wouldn't want to be the one to blow up the first one of those. It is still a fact that Ford Performance Parts has not announced a bolt on kit for the Voodoo. There is a reason for that.

My car ships today and will arrive at home in SanDiego on Monday.

I sold my 2008 500 to buy this car.....so I will be an "X" GT500 owner and will report my thoughts. I also agree that too much HP is nowhere near the fun of handling. Somewhere in there is a compromise. You need more power than a Porsche to have fun, but too much really does go to waste. This car (on paper for me at least) sounds like the "ticket"!!!! :victory:

BIKEBOY.......You will be like a kid in a candy store with a pocket full of change...... . But one thing I was told by a Ford engineer. If you read the break in procedure listed in the manual, really the only thing listed is to avoid extended WOT at first and don't track it in the first ~1000 miles." I will be warming my car up through driving, not idling, then going up to 5000 RPM and engine breaking down, 6000, then 7000. I'll be doing that at least a few times per week, and trying to at least get it above 5000 RPM once warmed up every drive. The torque, and peak pressure in the cylinders, doesn't occur until post 3500 RPM when the Ti-VCT cams kick in. Below 3500 RPM the cylinders aren't seeing TOO much of a load, not enough for proper break in at least. "

His words not mine. He also said change the oil @ 500 miles. Contamination is a condition to avoid. Read the manual on the type of oil filter because it's got a pink substance to help lock the filter. Just repeating what I was told. Nothing more.

Edited by mach 1 1970

My car ships today and will arrive at home in SanDiego on Monday.

I sold my 2008 500 to buy this car.....so I will be an "X" GT500 owner and will report my thoughts. I also agree that too much HP is nowhere near the fun of handling. Somewhere in there is a compromise. You need more power than a Porsche to have fun, but too much really does go to waste. This car (on paper for me at least) sounds like the "ticket"!!!! :victory:

Chris - I found a 2016 track pack car with the same color scheme as my car this week. 4 miles on the odometer and the seller has it listed for $65,000. Tempting..........

Hennessy will build you a supercharged GT 350 with 808 hp. That should hold you over for awhile . They are only making 50. 1/4 mile in the 10's . Check out their 0 to 170 mph run video . Just trying to get you in a 350.

Thanks, i would like to have a new GT350 someday. I know about the after market folks, but I guess I am too much of a purist. I prefer a Ford or Shelby only type upgrade, keeps it in the family and is more a Shelby to me, not a modified Mustang by whatever aftermarket shop. I am not in a big hurry, I will put my '13 GT350 up for sale soon, but have other cars to drive until the Shelby or Ford version is available. I don't have to have the first of anything. It took me several years to get the GT350 SAI was doing, I was waiting for what I wanted and finally got it (color, wide-body, etc.). I can do the same here.

Chris - I found a 2016 track pack car with the same color scheme as my car this week. 4 miles on the odometer and the seller has it listed for $65,000. Tempting..........

Great color combo. hope it works out for you. It's really an awesome machine.

Edited by mach 1 1970

Do you not get that many of the new GT350 owners here had 500's. Obviously, we decided we wanted a better overall package. Sure, you will beat me on the street.... as long as you don't have to take any turns. As long as you don't heat soak the thing or run out of brakes. Having owned a GT500 and the KR version, which was a much better car, the 350 handles better, rides better, doesn't react to the minor bums on public roads, stops 10X better. Supercharging the 5.2 would be a no go in my mind. If I'm going that route, Ill stick with a 5.0. Shelby can make improvements on the car. For the most part, adding horsepower is not one of them (although there is a little left on the table)

Oh and not sure there will be an 18 GT500. There will be a faster straight line car

I still have my GT500 and now the GT350.

Both cars are awesome for different purposes.

MY THOUGHTS

STRAIGHT LINE HP GET A;

ROAD COARSE TRACK GET A;

OFF ROAD GET A;

TOW VEHICLE GET A;

:thumbsup:

Go for it Viper....

Love mine and no regrets....and maybe we could meet up in the mountains one day for a spirited drive....

You do not need to teach or convince the majority of us about the difference between top of the line Corvettes and Mustangs but thank you so much anyway.

Tell us all what you drive. Got to feed the troll

Edited by mach 1 1970

You drive a Z06 and a V/6 caddy. The Z06 is a track type car. You said you are waiting for the next 500. This forum is about the 350. There is a forum for the next 500. ......99 % of mustang people Are not interested in road racing you said. Then why hang out here ? The whole Shelby thing is about road racing. The original 999 was about road racing maybe oval .The Ford GT is about road racing. Ford just won Le Mans ....again road racing. You have some great cars. I don't understand what your beef is with 350 ?

Edited by mach 1 1970

Great color combo. hope it works out for you. It's really an awesome machine.

Go for it Viper....

Love mine and no regrets....and maybe we could meet up in the mountains one day for a spirited drive....

Looking into it. The catch is I have to sell the GT500 first... because I can't have two Mustangs and the Cobra and stay married!

Just a thought but in ga you pay tax on the difference only. Not sure if they would give you enough on your trade in. Carmax is a good barometer for trade in value. Another good way is get a value on Kelly blue book. They will give you a trade in value if your car is not modded. If a dealer partricpates in the program. The dealer will give you that price even if they don't buy it. Kbb takes the car and you get the tax benefit. Try it and see what you get on line.