TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Info on new car cost plus on road

Hi Team,

I do not live in the USA.

Can I have some info from you locals please.

Example is.

(1) If one was to buy a new vehicle from a dealer at say MSRP at $60k, then what is the approx. extra cost you need to pay to get it on the road in (1) California (2) Florida?

(2) I notice that the same car used for sale with say 100miles could be $58k, so that says to me that the first owner has done his money with the on road cost and the $2k assuming he paid $60k?

(3) Is sales tax refundable in the USA if one was to to use it for a holiday in the USA and then exported out?

(4) Is there a preferred state to buy new car?

(5) Do dealers sell with a receipt (bill of sale) only, as you may be a collector and not want to put on the road?

Thanks.

Hi Team,

I do not live in the USA.

Can I have some info from you locals please.

Example is.

(1) If one was to buy a new vehicle from a dealer at say MSRP at $60k, then what is the approx. extra cost you need to pay to get it on the road in (1) California (2) Florida?

(2) I notice that the same car used for sale with say 100miles could be $58k, so that says to me that the first owner has done his money with the on road cost and the $2k assuming he paid $60k?

(3) Is sales tax refundable in the USA if one was to to use it for a holiday in the USA and then exported out?

(4) Is there a preferred state to buy new car?

(5) Do dealers sell with a receipt (bill of sale) only, as you may be a collector and not want to put on the road?

Thanks.

First, import/export rules are complicated and strict. I would check with your Ford dealership or US Ford Customer Service for a definitive answer.

I know that other manufacturers have a foreign delivery program. Several friends bought Mercedes Benz cars from US dealers with European delivery, drove them for a month or two while in Europe on vacation, and then shipped them back to the US. These were US delivery vehicles. The only fee for Europe (this was before the EU) was for German temporary tags. The reason I mention this is that Ford may have a foreign delivery program like this.

Speaking of which, does NZ require right hand drive on new vehicles? if so, you might be better to look for a European import instead of a US import.

Good luck!

The Ford dealers here, have for sale 2015 and up RHD Ecobost and V8 mustangs. These are the only models Ford NZ is licensed to bring in and sell.

2014 and earlier OK as long as a GT model and up. But if say it is a 2011 mustang V6 Dub that is OK as it meets the rules.

Shelby, Saleen and Roush we can bring in, and all other makes that meet the rules and also be 20 years and younger.

It depends on how you interpret the rules as you can bring in a 2001 Ford 150 Lightning pickup 5.4 V8 supercharge or a Ford Harley Davidson pickup.. They meet the rules.

NZ has a 500 permits per calendar year personal exemption for LHD cars as long as they meet the rules.

(1) The vehicle is and was manufactured as a two-door coupe or convertible
(evidence must be supplied with this application)

(2) The vehicle is and was manufactured as a high performance vehicle

(3) The vehicle’s make, model and sub-model has been (or was) manufactured in annual volumes of 20,000 units or less

(4) The vehicle (or its make, model and sub-model is identified as being a collector’s item in a commercially produced
motoring publication:
(a copy of the relevant article must be supplied with this application)

You can not sell for 4 years, however I believe if you die then the estate can get permission to sell.

I imported a 2009 Shelby KR 18 months ago, not a problem as it met all the rules.

Why I am asking is that, there is a car dealer here that has bought in 6 plus brand new GT350's, Dodge Challengers and Camaros.

May be easier to come over and do a road trip and ship back.

Thanks

If you're thinking of doing any of the possible suggestions you mention, I would avoid California at all costs, pun intended! It is one of the worst states for taxes, fees etc and not fun to deal with as far as buying and shipping etc. I can't suggest what might be your best state, just what would be one of the worst states.....good luck.