TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tire Question

austinl

Guys,

I have a 2012 GT500 coupe w/ the SVT Performance Package. Everything is stock, including the tires. The tires are original. The car has just over 9,200 miles. I drive it carefully and don't burn out or anything etc. Normal driving and typically never when it rains.

I had the car at my parent's over the weekend and my father suggested I get the tires checked out. I drove it over to Discount tire today and they said the outer depth on the tires is 2/32 but the middle tread depth is 5/32.

I called the Ford dealer and they said WHEN I do replace the tires to also have an alignment done.

Thoughts? Time to replace the tires? Do I go with the same factory Good Year tires or something else?

Guys,

I have a 2012 GT500 coupe w/ the SVT Performance Package. Everything is stock, including the tires. The tires are original. The car has just over 9,200 miles. I drive it carefully and don't burn out or anything etc. Normal driving and typically never when it rains.

I had the car at my parent's over the weekend and my father suggested I get the tires checked out. I drove it over to Discount tire today and they said the outer depth on the tires is 2/32 but the middle tread depth is 5/32.

I called the Ford dealer and they said WHEN I do replace the tires to also have an alignment done.

Thoughts? Time to replace the tires? Do I go with the same factory Good Year tires or something else?

I would say you have some life left in the tires but don`t go with the same Good Years

I would say you have some life left in the tires but don`t go with the same Good Years

Yes ...also, implement a strict/tight tire rotation regiment. Keep an eye on the tire manufactured year (code)...low miles and light thread wear can result in you exceeding the safe utility life. Good-luck!

If the outside edges are worn (assuming you are referring to the fronts) more than the middle, you need an alignment. Unless that car was on a road course for several sessions, you are not getting a normal, even wear pattern. And at 2/32, I would get them replaced very soon.

For a well-behaved street tire, I have been very happy to Continental Extreme Contact. Performance is good on the street and they last a long time. Lots of other good choices from Nitto, Toyo, Michelin, etc. I would stay away from GY.

BTW, you wont be able to rotate the tires since the SVTPP has staggered 19/20.

You didn't mention what the inner tread depth was, but if is close to what the outer depth was, it may be a simple case of over inflation. Nevertheless, it is time to replace them and get the alignment checked. Tire wise, there are lots of choices out there, but I believe the consensus on this forum is to avoid the Goodyear's. Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone and Hankook are all excellent choices.

Mark

If the outside edges are worn (assuming you are referring to the fronts) more than the middle, you need an alignment. Unless that car was on a road course for several sessions, you are not getting a normal, even wear pattern. And at 2/32, I would get them replaced very soon.

For a well-behaved street tire, I have been very happy to Continental Extreme Contact. Performance is good on the street and they last a long time. Lots of other good choices from Nitto, Toyo, Michelin, etc. I would stay away from GY.

BTW, you wont be able to rotate the tires since the SVTPP has staggered 19/20.

:doh:...staggered. Ooops! ...still thinking of my former stead!

Edited by Voodoo Child

Outer tread is 2/32, middle is 5/32. I'll definitely have the dealer do an alignment when I change the tires, which I'll do very soon. Thank you for the recommendations and help!

Ooos, I meant under inflation, but yes, tires and alignment are an excellent idea.

Mark

Mark,

Yes, my father mentioned that my issue might have been under inflation. During the nice / warm months, I typically drive the car 1 or 2 days per week. The rest of the year it does spend a lot of time in the garage. Right now, we're waiting on a home to be finished and we're in a temporary situation, so it's in storage and I'm pulling it out every 2 weeks to drive for about 2 days.

In Texas I have to avoid the crazy weather. We had rain for several weeks, 2 or 3 nice days during which I just drove it, then storms again last night.

In the future and with the new tires, I'll be more mindful of periodically checking the tire pressure. I would at each service and also if the indicator light came on but apparently that wasn't enough.

Mark,

Yes, my father mentioned that my issue might have been under inflation. During the nice / warm months, I typically drive the car 1 or 2 days per week. The rest of the year it does spend a lot of time in the garage. Right now, we're waiting on a home to be finished and we're in a temporary situation, so it's in storage and I'm pulling it out every 2 weeks to drive for about 2 days.

In Texas I have to avoid the crazy weather. We had rain for several weeks, 2 or 3 nice days during which I just drove it, then storms again last night.

In the future and with the new tires, I'll be more mindful of periodically checking the tire pressure. I would at each service and also if the indicator light came on but apparently that wasn't enough.

I'm with you on the crazy weather ( I'm in Kansas so I know what you are going through). Generally, I check the tire pressures every couple of weeks and, if the car has been sitting unused for a while, every time before I take it out just to be safe.

Good luck with the house and hopefully the weather hasn't slowed it down too much.

Mark