TEAM SHELBY FORUM

FRPP handling pack

moabman

How wide is your driveshaft around?

I'm not sure. I want to say it's a 3" dia, but it might be a 3.5" dia. Mine is steel. Aluminum and CF both have higher strength to weight ratio, but if they are all he same size, steel will be stronger (higher yield strength and ultimate strength). That's why the aluminum and CF shafts are 4" dia.

I would be shocked if you are having any clearance problems at all with a 3" driveshaft, do you think you could find out?

Im sorry, did you even say you had any issues with your DS now that you are lowered?

Also, do you have any other suspension or driveline parts different than stock, other than the FRPP handling pack?

Thank you

I would be shocked if you are having any clearance problems at all with a 3" driveshaft, do you think you could find out?

Im sorry, did you even say you had any issues with your DS now that you are lowered?

Also, do you have any other suspension or driveline parts different than stock, other than the FRPP handling pack?

Thank you

The next time it's up on a lift, I'll measure the driveshaft. I'm almost certain it is a 3".

The issue was the angles between the tranny and the DS, and the DS and the diff. Lowering the car brings the tranny output and the diff closer to each other, heightwise. It seems to be ok for now.

I have the Steeda UCA and the BMR lowers. Watts link is on the wish list until somebody comes up with one for the 'verts.

The next time it's up on a lift, I'll measure the driveshaft. I'm almost certain it is a 3".

The issue was the angles between the tranny and the DS, and the DS and the diff. Lowering the car brings the tranny output and the diff closer to each other, heightwise. It seems to be ok for now.

I have the Steeda UCA and the BMR lowers. Watts link is on the wish list until somebody comes up with one for the 'verts.

What kind of problems does that create with what you just described?

This is all so foreign to me

What kind of problems does that create with what you just described?

This is all so foreign to me

I am by no means an expert on this, but...

There are universal joints on either end of the drive shaft. Universal joints perform better when there is an angle between the components being connected. You do not want them to be perfectly in line, i.e. 0 degrees difference. My one piece was manufactured for the stock ride height. I'm not sure if it would have been made differently for a lowered vehicle, but the tech said he had issues with getting the proper angles set up after lowering. I believe you want around 2 degrees difference between the two ends, i.e. +1 on one side and -1 on the other. Mine are at, I think, +0.5 and -0.5. It seems to run fine as is, but I might need to adjust my UCA to turn the pumpkin down a little. That might get me to a better set up.

I'll be taking it in within the next couple weeks to see if everything is still torqued properly. We may experiment a little then.

Is this the handling pack for the SS package? In CW'S spreadsheet it lists the FRPP handling pack for SS, just wondering if THIS is the one? And did you get it at Ford website or SAI website?

I tried to call Shelby's fab shop yesterday for a recomendation on a suspension upgrade, but could never get though to them. After being bounced around Shelby for 30 minutes, I got a high level manager after he finally returned to his desk......forgot his name and he stated that in no uncertain terms that the ES-35115.680 kit *is* the SS suspension system. He also said that Shelby would install it on my GT500, but I would have to wait until next spring for them to do it. :banghead:

ES-35115.680 kit

John

I tried to call Shelby's fab shop yesterday for a recomendation on a suspension upgrade, but could never get though to them. After being bounced around Shelby for 30 minutes, I got a high level manager after he finally returned to his desk......forgot his name and he stated that in no uncertain terms that the ES-35115.680 kit *is* the SS suspension system. He also said that Shelby would install it on my GT500, but I would have to wait until next spring for them to do it. :banghead:

ES-35115.680 kit

John

Sorry that was confusing to read, so that link is definitely the SS suspension? That is not the same as what FRPP offers right?

$1100 sounds much much better and realistic compared to $1800, something doesnt add up

thx

Sorry that was confusing to read, so that link is definitely the SS suspension? That is not the same as what FRPP offers right?

$1100 sounds much much better and realistic compared to $1800, something doesnt add up

thx

That is what I was told.........it is the SS suspension and it is not what FRPP offers!

John

I find it very confusing how SAI and FRPP do not use the same parts for the GT500.

So do you go with Ford or SAI? I would like to think they are on the same team working together.

I think it does not make any sense that both camps offer different parts for the same thing. I would understand if SAI made the suspension because FRPP will not and visa versa but this just pushes me towards going with an outside company all together that is very upfront about what their set up includes and how it will perform.

I know I am being a little hard on Ford and SAI but the car has been out for over a year, they need to get their shit together.

I find it very confusing how SAI and FRPP do not use the same parts for the GT500.

So do you go with Ford or SAI? I would like to think they are on the same team working together.

I think it does not make any sense that both camps offer different parts for the same thing. I would understand if SAI made the suspension because FRPP will not and visa versa but this just pushes me towards going with an outside company all together that is very upfront about what their set up includes and how it will perform.

I know I am being a little hard on Ford and SAI but the car has been out for over a year, they need to get their shit together.

I think Eibach makes the FRPP suspension components (Ford racing doesn't make their own stuff for the most part). I wouldn't be suprised if the SS and FRPP suspensions are the same thing but with different labels. Maybe Shelby has theirs tuned a little differently?

I know that the Steeda sway bars and the FRPP sway bars are the same color, thickness, and both have the same urethane bushings and mounts and the front sway bar on both is adjustable with three different holes to mount the connector through. The strut tower brace is the same on both except for the badging. I assumed that Steeda put the pack together and FRPP is marketing a version of it. I don't know about the dampers and springs however.

BTW, for all of you GT500 drivers, I'm talking about the 05-07 Mustang GT version.

• 1 month later...

The FRPP Handling Package was developed by Ford on the FR500C, a street version is what you can buy from FRPP.

I have had the handling package on my 05 GT for about 2 yrs now and like it very much, I have also added some LCA's, UCR, panhard bar and some eccentric strut bolts to get the chamber back to zero.

The car is very stable and corners like its on rails.

P1010023-1.jpg

P1010017-3.jpg

jb

• 2 months later...
No. The popping noise is not normal. Mine doesn't do it.

I did like the noticeable difference when taking turns. The first turn I took at speed, I started to lean out of habit to compensate for the body roll. I didn't even realize that I had become accustomed to doing it. Well, I felt off balance because the car doesn't roll in the turns like it used to.

Pics attached, Ruf.

post-2905-1182887225_thumb.jpgpost-2905-1182887249_thumb.jpg

post-2905-1182887260_thumb.jpgpost-2905-1182887269_thumb.jpg

post-2905-1182887278_thumb.jpg

The stance with that handling pack is just perfect, Greg!!! Likely a lot!! :P

The stance with that handling pack is just perfect, Greg!!! Likely a lot!! :P

Thanks, Dan. Of course, you got to see mine in person. I don't think the pictures do it justice. When seen in person, next to a stock height car, it just looks "right" to me. Not that the stock height looks bad, but the lowered stance looks more like it "should". Again, just my opinion.

Thanks, Dan. Of course, you got to see mine in person. I don't think the pictures do it justice. When seen in person, next to a stock height car, it just looks "right" to me. Not that the stock height looks bad, but the lowered stance looks more like it "should". Again, just my opinion.

Yeah, I didn't realize when we were in Dearborn it was the FRP handling pack you had, but it looked just about perfect!! ;-)

Archived