TEAM SHELBY FORUM

tire shop gouged my rims. What now?

gordyk

I brought my 2008 GT500 to Discount tire for new rear tires and they gouged both rims, like new factory original. The assistant manager offered to send my rims to Dent Wizard to have them repaired. Is this a good option? What do you guys think i should do? Has anyone else had this happen and what did you do?

I brought my 2008 GT500 to Discount tire for new rear tires and they gouged both rims, like new factory original. The assistant manager offered to send my rims to Dent Wizard to have them repaired. Is this a good option? What do you guys think i should do? Has anyone else had this happen and what did you do?

I would ask him to replace them . with good used ones

I think you might be surprised by the repairs. There are lots of places that do it and I have no idea of this one, but the can look good as new. But as they say "your mileage may vary" depending on how extensive the damage is and how good an operator they are.

I would suggest that you try his suggestion but that the final choice is yours and he should be prepared for plan b.

I think you might be surprised by the repairs. There are lots of places that do it and I have no idea of this one, but the can look good as new. But as they say "your mileage may vary" depending on how extensive the damage is and how good an operator they are.

I would suggest that you try his suggestion but that the final choice is yours and he should be prepared for plan b.

If they damaged two rims then ask to have one repaired and judge for yourself ... If it meets you standards then have the other repaired or ask for replacements.

these are both very good options, the only problem with the second is that there is an additional waiting period.

I asked them to replace them, they said no. They are small gouges, i dont want to risk the refinish company doing more damage so i am just going to walk away with a lesson learned. :(

I would at least ask for a discount on the bill.

• 1 month later...

After working at a dealership for 8 years, I've seen the specialty wheel repair service that comes by, and they do a 100% professional refinishing of damaged high-dollar wheels. The same goes for the paintless dent removal service......cars with bad door dings and minor dents come back looking like new. I wouldn't have believed it hadn't I seen it with my own eyes, and I'm sure you have to be careful choosing which service to use, but these guys have convinced me to use their services! I also keep an eye out for good used parts at reasonable prices because it doesn't hurt to have a few "cheap" spares on hand just in case.

• 10 months later...

I haven't been on this website for a while, but I have a full set of factory originals in pretty good shape including mounted and working tire pressure sensors that I would like to sell if you haven't already gotten replacements yet.

Knowing how most 20 something tire jockeys attitudes are, scratching up my new rims was a big worry for me too. The Ford dealer, where I bought the tires, had a part broken on their machine that they never did get around to fixing so I had to go in cold to the local tire store where I had bought nothing. Told the guy behind the counter I had some expensive rims I had hoped to get some tires mounted on and wondered if he could put his best man on the job as i didn't want them all scratched up. He assured me they wouldn't scratch anything as it's the same store that mounts all the big fancy truck rims, sold down the street, for the 4 wheel drive boys.

Young man, who looked like Billy Gibbons due to his beard, did a great job so I flipped him 10 bucks as a tip and hoped to get him next time as I could only haul one rim and tire at a time in the back of the Expedition. As my luck would have it, the next time and the two more times afterward that it took to do all four resulted in a different guy every time so I went through $40 in tips but I guess word got around and not a blemish to be found on any of them.

IMG_0727_zpswi8jslf9.jpg

Knowing how most 20 something tire jockeys attitudes are, scratching up my new rims was a big worry for me too. The Ford dealer, where I bought the tires, had a part broken on their machine that they never did get around to fixing so I had to go in cold to the local tire store where I had bought nothing. Told the guy behind the counter I had some expensive rims I had hoped to get some tires mounted on and wondered if he could put his best man on the job as i didn't want them all scratched up. He assured me they wouldn't scratch anything as it's the same store that mounts all the big fancy truck rims, sold down the street, for the 4 wheel drive boys.

Young man, who looked like Billy Gibbons due to his beard, did a great job so I flipped him 10 bucks as a tip and hoped to get him next time as I could only haul one rim and tire at a time in the back of the Expedition. As my luck would have it, the next time and the two more times afterward that it took to do all four resulted in a different guy every time so I went through $40 in tips but I guess word got around and not a blemish to be found on any of them.

IMG_0727_zpswi8jslf9.jpg

Good to hear you got them mounted with no problems..

I had curb rash and etc. fixed on two different types of the factory wheels. Two on my 2011 Shelby GT500 and two on my 2014 Shelby GT-500. It was a mobile repairman with a trailer. Did excellent work and especially on one with a 6-inch long curb rash. After words I could not tell which rims he had repaired as he had painted and matched them perfectly. At the time it was $100 for the repair or about $1100 for a factory rim from the dealer. I'd have them repaired and take the bill the tire shop. Take before and after pictures.