TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood scoop rivets

I recommend riv-nuts instead of rivets! 8/32 or 10/32 depending on how big you drilled the holes. Riv-nuts and bolts available at Fastenal and allow you to easily remove the scoop for cleaning, etc. and bolt heads are allen keyed, just like the original scoop.

Don't forget that the hoods are double-skinned and if you pinch the two skins together, you'll be very sad!

Sam

How hard would it be to drill out the existing rivets (like I have) and install the riv-nuts? I've been thinking of doing this for some time. I might even install a hood vent under there and open up the scoop while I'm at it.

I recommend riv-nuts instead of rivets! 8/32 or 10/32 depending on how big you drilled the holes. Riv-nuts and bolts available at Fastenal and allow you to easily remove the scoop for cleaning, etc. and bolt heads are allen keyed, just like the original scoop.

Don't forget that the hoods are double-skinned and if you pinch the two skins together, you'll be very sad!

Sam

I meant to quote Sam on the above post.

How hard would it be to drill out the existing rivets (like I have) and install the riv-nuts? I've been thinking of doing this for some time. I might even install a hood vent under there and open up the scoop while I'm at it.

If you're careful, I'd say it should be easy! Since they're pop-rivets, you use a drill bit the same size as the rivet and drilling from the top, remove just enough to allow the rivet to fall free. I'd suggest using some masking tape over the entire rivet, then drill through that to help protect your scoop/paint. Riv-Nuts are installed the same as rivets, except the rivet tool is threaded to match the Riv-Nut. I bought a cheap riv-nut tool at Harbor Freight and it worked just fine. I'm certain that Fastenal carries the aluminum riv-nuts I used and the stainless hex bolts as well. 8/32 or 10/32 depending on hole size and about 3/4 inches long for the bolts, riv-nuts were about 1/2 inch long or less.

Sam

If you're careful, I'd say it should be easy! Since they're pop-rivets, you use a drill bit the same size as the rivet and drilling from the top, remove just enough to allow the rivet to fall free. I'd suggest using some masking tape over the entire rivet, then drill through that to help protect your scoop/paint. Riv-Nuts are installed the same as rivets, except the rivet tool is threaded to match the Riv-Nut. I bought a cheap riv-nut tool at Harbor Freight and it worked just fine. I'm certain that Fastenal carries the aluminum riv-nuts I used and the stainless hex bolts as well. 8/32 or 10/32 depending on hole size and about 3/4 inches long for the bolts, riv-nuts were about 1/2 inch long or less.

Sam

I'd like to do it, but I must admit I'm scared to try!

I'd like to do it, but I must admit I'm scared to try!

That's exactly what I said, but I pushed forward, took my time, and it came out great! The scariest part was cutting the hole in the hood to make the scoop functional - I must have measured that thing 10 times before I finally drilled the corners and then cut the rest with a high-speed cutting wheel! Once I verified the scoop location and marked everything, I removed the hood for the drilling and cutting.

gallery_13043_1123_817072.jpg

Sam

That's exactly what I said, but I pushed forward, took my time, and it came out great! The scariest part was cutting the hole in the hood to make the scoop functional - I must have measured that thing 10 times before I finally drilled the corners and then cut the rest with a high-speed cutting wheel! Once I verified the scoop location and marked everything, I removed the hood for the drilling and cutting.

gallery_13043_1123_817072.jpg

Sam

Oh, I didn't catch that earlier. ... So you've actually done this; drilled out the rivets and replaced? Do you have a pic which looks into your scoop as well as one looking towards it from the underside of the hood? Would love to see those!

Here's a shot after large hole was cut and rivnuts placed:

gallery_13043_1123_8028.jpg

At the very front are two smaller holes from the original scoop install, also, two medium holes at the back are where that original scoop was bolted to the hood. All of those are unseen from the outside.

Looking at scoop after install - you can just see the large opening - edges of the hole are covered with thin door "edge guard".

gallery_13043_1123_348284.jpg

Sam

Sam;

Did you use a spacer or some other fill piece between the hood skins to prevent pinching them together with the rivets? If not how did you determine the tightness on the river nuts? Just wondering for future reference.

GT

Sam;

Did you use a spacer or some other fill piece between the hood skins to prevent pinching them together with the rivets? If not how did you determine the tightness on the river nuts? Just wondering for future reference.

GT

On reflection, that's a great idea, but no, I didn't use spacers - the hole on the outer skin is just big enough for the rivet, the hole in the inner skin was a few sizes larger so the rivet wouldn't grab it and create a dimple. There was just enough space between the skins to allow me to drill the larger hole from the underside and not punch through - I also used a dremel to enlarge and smooth things - better control.

I used the cut out piece of hood for rivet practice to gauge how much squeeze to put on the rivnut, which didn't take very much - just enough to allow the rivnut to grab hold and not spin around when you thread and tighten the bolt. You can over-tighten the rivnut, so it's best to go in stages until it's just right.

Sam

Sam, It really looks good. You must do things a lot of us either think about or talk about doing.

I was really nervous about the whole project - especially the part where I put that high speed cutter to a perfectly good hood! That first screech of the cutting wheel touching metal still gives me chills!

Nice!! Thanks for the pics, very helpful.

Happy to oblige!

I could probably go back and tidy up the work some more, but after comparing this to my 65', I kind of like the "rough" edge look!

Sam

I was really nervous about the whole project - especially the part where I put that high speed cutter to a perfectly good hood! That first screech of the cutting wheel touching metal still gives me chills!

Happy to oblige!

I could probably go back and tidy up the work some more, but after comparing this to my 65', I kind of like the "rough" edge look!

Sam

If you lived near me I think I'd pay you to do mine!

If I get up that way, I'll let you know!

Sam

Sam, are your rivet nuts splined, or, what holds them in place w/in the hood?

Thank you guys. I called the guy who did the warranty replacement of my old hood scoop to put this one on my 2014 Shelby. He used the same rivets as before. The 14 hood is fiberglass and none of the rivets came thru underneath. They all landed in between the frame and glass.

In case anyone still nervous about doing the deed, ...just take a small panel ...aluminum is usually available at the hardware stores and outline a template of the area to be worked on. Then measure 3 times and mark the entry point w a small hole puncher. ...try to use a high speed drill (usually air-driven are best for this) and practice making the holes, place/squeez the rivest, and then remove them ... once satisfied with your results/skill, do the deed on the hood.

Archived