TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need Advice: Wanting to Go Back to Stock Springs BUT..............

Hello,

I have owned two GT500s. Both were used purchases, and both came with Eibach Pro Kit Springs. I think the ride is horrible. It feels like I lost all suspension travel, and now I am limited to about 1" of movement. Honestly, in the back, it feels as if the shocks are welded.

The problem. I have never driven a stock sprung GT500! I don't know how the car felt from the factory. Every review of the stock car said it was a bone jarring ride, so it must have been stiff. I can't see how the Eibachs are even a performance upgrade, other than the drop.

So, those who have Eibachs, and know what the car felt like prior to swapping the stock springs out, can you tell me how the car rode and handled? I am really considering going back to stock, but I don't want to make a mistake in doing so, if the stock springs are just as harsh, as I will be UNDOING all the previous owner's hard work!

My current GT500 has LCAs, panhard, Eibachs, camber bolts, and was aligned to PERFECTION by the previous owner's shop. he got rid of the excessive negative camber, and centered the diff under the car. On smooth roads, this car is a dream to drive, but smooth roads don't exist out here everywhere!

I have heard upgrading the shocks improves the ride? I am guessing here, but if you use a 1.25" shorter spring, you will be losing 1.25" of shock travel, right? Perhaps the car has 3-4" of shock travel, stock, and after the Eibachs it now has 3-4" MINUS the 1.25" of drop, right? Would the FRP shock and strut kit, or another brand of shock allow for a wider range of motion, OR make the ride a little smoother?

So what do you think?

I think that's why people who already have a list of bolt-ons even before they've driven their new cars of dealer lots are, more often than not, recipies for disaster.

Most of anything they intend to change are things they've only read about and many spend almost no time with the car in stock form to learn what exactly they like (or not) or works best (or not). And the vast majority of them spend more time boasting about the mods they've made putting them to use.

And because 90% of mods are intended to make a car more aggressive and less compliant, they also end up making a car that's miserable to drive the 98.3% of the time it's NOT on a track - where they end up using their cars only half as much because they've spent every spare nickel making their cars as low, harsh and awful to be stuck driving in.

There's good reasons why makers choose the combinations of parts they do. First and foremost is that they tend to work together reliably. Secondly, they tend to be what most buyers generally will find appealing and NOT make them want to keep taking their car back to the dealership to insist something is wrong.

Presuming nothing is broken, the best thing you can do to square away your car's ride is to return as much to stock as possible. That includes the arms and everything else you presume keeps the rear end dialed in. Why? Ford didn't just choose stamped arms because they're cheap. Their compliance (give) and the factory bushings go a long way to determining the car's overall ride characteristics.

Then drive the car. A lot. Take notes. Cold days vs hot days. Higher speeds vs lower. Identify exactly what you do and don't like and try to correct out the latter while persevering the former. Do it one component at a time so you know what to attribute for any change you notice.

Everything is subjective. Others' definition of "better" or "worse" means diddly. It's "good" if it's how you want it. And the list of original equipment parts is as close as you'll come to a setup that most people are likely to find acceptable. After all, Ford has more time, money and resources to pour into testing various combinations of parts and settings than the whole of every forum you're likely to join - combined.

I should also state, the car came with 20" aftermarket rims, to add to the ride quality issues...

It would be easy to go back to stock. I have the original springs and 19" rims, so I would keep the front struts as a "pair", and take them off as one piece. Then I would buy two new front struts, and build up a stock set. The rear, I would install the springs, and buy two new rear shocks. I would probably keep the lower control arm and panhard bar upgrade. I differ with your opinion that Ford did this for "quality". I've had cheap Japanese imports that came with cast aluminum control arms.

I really fail to see how these springs are an improvement, in any department, other than how it looks parked. I also agree, that owners of such cars, drive them less. I only put 1600mi on the car last year. The main reason? It's too harsh and not enjoyable to drive! As far as handling and skidpad performance, TIRES make the biggest difference in handling. A stock suspension car on summer tires, will out handle an Eibach car on the Goodyears. Biggest bang for the buck in the handling department goes to tires. So I'm also planning on getting a new set of 19" summer tires, and run on the stock rims.

Any comments on how a stock suspension coupe drives???? I almost wish I could find one to test drive, just to compare.

Edited by ShelbyGT5HUN

I put the Eibachs on my car as well. Looked great, but at triple digit speeds the car constantly bottomed out, hard. I changed the rear springs out with FRPP springs and now I love it. Car still sits lower than stock but has enough travel it doesn't bottom out. Also went from a 26.9 diameter tire to 27.4 on all 4 corners. All the harshness is now gone. Rides like a Cadillac compared to before. Just something to ponder over.

Stock the car rides soft. It is compliant and if you are not one to push the pedal hard on starts its a good setup. I have driven stock and then did upgrades. Went with Steeda progressive springs which works really well but the FRPP from Ford Racing are a bit softer. I have the Eibach in one of my other cars and yes on smooth roads and curves its great but once the bumps start the fun quickly disappears.

The stock suspension is designed to give you a car that will run 100,000 miles with no issues but as someone else said it is the total combination of the mods you have to consider. Changing back to stock ride height will change geometry so you need to look at what other mods will need to be adjusted otherwise you could end up with a messy handling car. It's not just slap in a new set of springs and your good to go.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had stock all the way to Griggs and coil overs. Took a nice road car and turned it into a track car on the road. As Madlock said, didn't enjoy driving it on the street. This was on previous cars.

Now, I have a stock 14 with PP. I just ordered the Ford Racing springs designed to go with the PP suspension. Everyone has their opinion, but Ford Racing does research the rest of the aftermarket doesn't. Their parts are designed to work with stock parts. Make small changes and give them time.

Tom

Installed upper and lower lcas myself, with the red poly bushings.

Decided to try the FRPP springs on the rear only to lower the back end, also installed a double adjustable panhard bar to keep things centered.

Lowering the front end is not very practical on the streets in my location, it can be done but it would be a pain living with the lack of clearance.

Found no benefits on the street or strip with the lower rear FRPPs but did notice a harsher ride.

Also the rear wheel-to-fender gap was noticably smaller than the front which looked odd.

Put the stock rear springs back on, and was much happier with the ride.

My springs, wheels etc are all still stock, not a fan of excessively tall wheels myself as they make more sense on a track type car than a street car.

Function over form is my personal preference.

Hello,

I have owned two GT500s. Both were used purchases, and both came with Eibach Pro Kit Springs. I think the ride is horrible. It feels like I lost all suspension travel, and now I am limited to about 1" of movement. Honestly, in the back, it feels as if the shocks are welded.

The problem. I have never driven a stock sprung GT500! I don't know how the car felt from the factory. Every review of the stock car said it was a bone jarring ride, so it must have been stiff. I can't see how the Eibachs are even a performance upgrade, other than the drop.

So, those who have Eibachs, and know what the car felt like prior to swapping the stock springs out, can you tell me how the car rode and handled? I am really considering going back to stock, but I don't want to make a mistake in doing so, if the stock springs are just as harsh, as I will be UNDOING all the previous owner's hard work!

My current GT500 has LCAs, panhard, Eibachs, camber bolts, and was aligned to PERFECTION by the previous owner's shop. he got rid of the excessive negative camber, and centered the diff under the car. On smooth roads, this car is a dream to drive, but smooth roads don't exist out here everywhere!

I have heard upgrading the shocks improves the ride? I am guessing here, but if you use a 1.25" shorter spring, you will be losing 1.25" of shock travel, right? Perhaps the car has 3-4" of shock travel, stock, and after the Eibachs it now has 3-4" MINUS the 1.25" of drop, right? Would the FRP shock and strut kit, or another brand of shock allow for a wider range of motion, OR make the ride a little smoother?

So what do you think?

Where are you located? Sounds limke you're driving my car I recently sold and if so I do have stock shocks and springs for sale.

• 3 weeks later...