TEAM SHELBY FORUM

VALUE ON A MODIFIED CAR

venem07

absolutely! for the worse! its customized to your tastes, which are personal. you might find a buyer with the same tastes, but it typically narrows the pool of total buyers. also, people dont trust what other people do to cars and a modded car is usually owned by an enthusiast who may drive the car more aggressively than average. these are things i'd consider as a potential buyer.

Edited by 2007red40thGT500

absolutely! for the worse! its customized to your tastes, which are personal. you might find a buyer with the same tastes, but it typically narrows the pool of total buyers. also, people dont trust what other people do to cars and a modded car is usually owned by an enthusiast who may drive the car more aggressively than average. these are things i'd consider as a potential buyer.

I agree, in rare cases there are exceptions, but modding in general lowers the value of a car.

I bought mine because it had mods. And of course the price was right. Saved a lot of money with it already having headers, tb, upper pulley and intake done. Just be sure to have the car checked out by a reputable mechanic before buying a modified or stock Shelby.

yes, i bought my first GT500 with minor mods, but knowing what i know now, i most likely wouldn't do it again. also not sure i represent most buyers. i think most buyers are even more conservative about this topic than i am. as a general rule of thumb, its well known that you will likely not see an increase in value from personal mods, and may see a decrease in some cases.

A car modded by Homer in his driveway, with no paperwork, will bring less money than stock.

A car modded by a respected shop, with complete documentation, can bring more money than stock.

Edited by 1 Alibi 2

Guest markham51

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't personally buy a heavily modded car because I wouldn't want the potential problems.

Dress up items are no problem. An awesome set of wheels and a great sounding exhaust saves me the money and the hassle.

As long as there is a mod shop not to far away, packages (Shelby, Roush, Saleen) with engine mods don't bother me either.

I'm keeping my Snake original..... had enough of the "Modifying Bug" with my previous Roush Car. You're more than 80 % certain to decrease the value of your car, once you go down the mod road. ( You never see P1 McClaren, Lamborghini, or Ferrari owners throwing modified parts onto their cars do you ).

I'm keeping my Snake original..... had enough of the "Modifying Bug" with my previous Roush Car. You're more than 80 % certain to decrease the value of your car, once you go down the mod road. ( You never see P1 McClaren, Lamborghini, or Ferrari owners throwing modified parts onto their cars do you ).

• 2 weeks later...

A car modded by Homer in his driveway, with no paperwork, will bring less money than stock.

A car modded by a respected shop, with complete documentation, can bring more money than stock.

So your saying if someone changes there intake and throttle body by themself 4 bolts and 4 clamps There going to lose value on there car?

So your saying if someone changes there intake and throttle body by themself 4 bolts and 4 clamps There going to lose value on there car?

i'm saying that. because you can't change those things without screwing around with the ECM, which potentially affects the engine and drivetrain. not all tunes are created equal.

Normally, changing the intake, ( CAI ) increases the ID of the MAF, & most people increase the size of the bore(s) on the T/B.

To get the max benefit, the car would require a tune, which most people can't do by themselves.

If I were considering a purchase, & it had an upgraded CAI & T/B, the 1st thing I'd ask was who tuned it ??

Edited by 1 Alibi 2

I have never lost money on any car that I have put mods on.. But I do keep all factory parts and you can eat off any car I own regardless of how many miles it has.....In fact I normally turn a profit on them only time will tell what I will get out of my Shelby... and if I lose money Big Deal at the very least I enjoyed driving it

good on you, but that's not the norm.

Its normal if you dont hack your car up and only put a few minor mods into it. At least here in Chicago If you start putting cams and vaule covers, headers and tearing into the motor sure you will lose a ton of money. I dont do that If I wanted a race car I would buy one. Just looking to upgrade a few parts that the factory should have done in the first place

Edited by Broker23