TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Widened Wheels

Just got my wheels back from Weldcraft. Had the rears widened 1in. with 305/35 Michelin Pilots. Looks super sick from the rear. Wish I had done it sooner. Not only does it look better, but the Michelins are worlds better than the Goodyears.

ahem... ;)

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.jpg

I've been running my Alcoas that have been widened by Weldcraft for about 4 years now and no problems. Rears were widened to 11" and 2007red40thgt500 is right, 315's rub. At least 315/35/20 MPSS's do. So I also went with a 295/35/20 in the rear. Been happy ever since!

I also have widened Alcoa's, 12' rears with 325's for about 5 years. The only "modification(s)" I had to do was a simple remove of the Eibach shock boots/shields and Shelby installed rear brake ducts, no contact or rubbing after that, even on my turn/incline driveway.

013_zpsrznssjzl.jpg

I moved my original 10" to the front with a 275 tire and widened a pair of 9" for the rear. I tried a pair of 335 Michelin Pilot Sports on the rear for a short period, they did slightly rub when turning into my uphill driveway, and they looked "fat" on the 12" Alcoa's.

****** I did not remove my bump stop brackets, there was no need to.

R

Edited by Robert M

Robert, is that a 325/35/20 or a 325/30/20 rear tire? Also, which tire brand/model did you use? Thanks, Duane.

325/30, it is right at the same overall diameter as the 275 on the front. It is a Dunlop Sport Maxx GT. At one point Dunlop was the only company that made this size, and they were $800 per tire, but I believe another company ( I don't remember who) also makes this 325/30 size and the Dunlops have come down a little bit, competition.........

R

Edited by Robert M

"If" I were to widen another pair of Alcoa's, I would probably not go all the way out to 12", but instead maybe 11 3/4". I have a set of dark finish Alcoa's (9" and 10") from a 2011 Super Snake and a another spare pair of 9" bright Alcoa's to widen and then powder coat dark. I also have a spare pair of 325/30 Dunlops for a widened pair of dark Alcoa's, so I am most of the way there for a second set, but in the dark/matte Black finish. The reason why I would go a little narrower is because I can still afford a little more sidewall bulge on the rear and narrowing down from 12" would get me that bulge, 11 3/4" would get me 1/8" more inside and outside, and 11 1/2" would get me 1/4" more bulge inside and outside. <<<1/4" may be too much, so I would probably go with 11 3/4" next time.

I would probably use Eric Vaughn in Calif. for the next widening project, if I decide to go there........

Back in the early days when people wanted more meat on the rear of their Super Snake, there was no internet information, and I spear headed much of the research as to what would fit and what would not, so after all of that Alcoa swapping and tire buying, I would do things a little different the next time around, not BIG changes, but instead just slight tweaks in sizes/widths.

R

Edited by Robert M

Great info as always Robert. My son & I are working to fit a set of Alcoas on his '12 Boss. We just got the rims and are trying to fit the widest tires without removing bumpstop brackets and such. We are installing an adjustable panhard bar and the car is sitting on H&R springs. We may just go ahead and send the 9"s out to Vaughn to get widened and then be done with it. Thank you, Duane

Great info as always Robert. My son & I are working to fit a set of Alcoas on his '12 Boss. We just got the rims and are trying to fit the widest tires without removing bumpstop brackets and such. We are installing an adjustable panhard bar and the car is sitting on H&R springs. We may just go ahead and send the 9"s out to Vaughn to get widened and then be done with it. Thank you, Duane

^^^Thanks Duane.

One thing to remember with the newer Mustangs, there is a plastic inner liner in the rear wheel well area from what I have been told, which is not present on the earlier cars. This liner will reduce space inward and will require either cutting, or removal for the wider size tire/rim combinations. I believe (but am not positive), that the rear well liners were added for 2011-up?

Also, There have been a couple of members who tried going out to the wider tire rim combinations and were in no way able to fit anything wider than a 315 on their car, so there must be some variations in the rear inner fender well areas when they are jigged and welded at the factory............just an FYI.

R

Also remember, all tires are not created equally. One manufacturers 305, 315, or whatever size aren't always the same. always check the tire specs.

^^^And that is what gets to be costly, fitting tires and finding the "right" fit when widening rims. It would be nice if the tire industry had a standard for where the tread is measured, but since some measure all the way around the tread where it ends on the sidewall, and others measure width where the tread breaks over the side, the widths and subsequent sidewall heights are all over the map. I found this out when comparing my 1995 Cobra R 255/45/17 BFG Comp. T/A's and my 1995 Cobra Convert./Hardtop 255/45/17 Good Year GS-C's. The GS-C's were considerably more narrow and shorter that the Comp. T/A's, both in the same 255/45/17 size. It was Crazy!!! That is when I started to research "why?", and found the issue is no standard for width measurement. 255mm is 255mm, but where 255mm is measured and spec'ed is the issue.

R

Edited by Robert M

I'm sending a set of 9"s out to Eric Vaughn as soon as he starts receiving orders again. I'm wanting them widened to 11.75" and will try to fit the MPSS 325/30/20.

I am interested in the MPSS fit. I believe Michelins run on the wider side of the tire width scale, but I am not sure about that.

Does he have an idea when he will receive wheels for widening?

R

Edited by Robert M