TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT350 Voodoo loud engine knock

Here comes the scary part. :( Who is going to diagnose and work on the engine? The trusty local Ford dealership mechanic? :rant: Unfortunately, my laptop fried its soundboard 5 years ago, so I cannot listen to the engine …perhaps a blessing. As Mike noted :salute: …it does troubles me! At any rate, it would be appreciated if you can provide some background data i.e. Environmental temperature at crank time ...warm-up period, operational history (was there a break-in period?) highest static revs …etc. I suggest, that if the car goes in for service, try to have the mechanic provide you with a printed graph of the diagnostic download. Perhaps the event can be isolated on a time-line and the problem attributed to component/system failure and/or, whether there was an operator-contributing factor that led to the failure (not implying that you did anything wrong, just that there could be an operator action, which is normally tolerated by a given engine system, not so by the Voodoo.) As a fellow Voodoo owner, I will appreciate a follow-up posting. :sos: I hope that it is just an issue with the plug as already noted. Time to replace my trusty laptop …they no longer make soundboards for it. :punched: Be well!

Edited by Voodoo Child

I do hope that the Ford dealers have qualified mechanics, if the dealership sold it. I know with my SAI '13 GT350 (624 HP Whipple tune), the dealership that set it up did not, and I have to drive 80 miles to a dealership that sold other SAI cars that does have a mechanic that can service it. When I bought my ZR1 a few years back, GM would only allow dealers who had qualified, trained mechanics on staff to sell them. Most could not, I am not sure Ford is thinking about this on such a highly specialized car as the new GT350.

I do hope that the Ford dealers have qualified mechanics, if the dealership sold it. I know with my SAI '13 GT350 (624 HP Whipple tune), the dealership that set it up did not, and I have to drive 80 miles to a dealership that sold other SAI cars that does have a mechanic that can service it. When I bought my ZR1 a few years back, GM would only allow dealers who had qualified, trained mechanics on staff to sell them. Most could not, I am not sure Ford is thinking about this on such a highly specialized car as the new GT350.

There used to be an SVT designation for dealerships authorized to service SVT cars, including the Ford GT. Nor sure what happened to it (or why the program wasn't transferred to a "Ford Performance" designation).

One thing to consider with car problems is that no owner is ever going to concede they created the problem. They'll only surface on forums if they can blame it one someone else. If, for example, someone were to install a supercharger on a FPC engine and then blow it up street racing, you're not likely to see that person go online and talk about it (unless racing, tuning or modding is central to their job as an engineer/tester). I know that's not the case with this thread, but it's worth noting that owners will talk all day about how they achieved 800hp+ with bolt-ons, but they are not likely going to come online and fess up to having destroyed a half-shaft or blown a connecting rod.

Guest markham51

Ford says (to owner on SVT forum) ....engine threw a rod bearing. Can't find anything on the "why" it did but they replaced engine and he is happy camper again.

Edited by markham51

• 2 months later...