TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Recessed Upper Grill

So I've been playing with a mod idea in my head lately, thinking of creating a grill to emulate the retro 60 design. I did a couple searches here on the forum but didn't find this concept.

Given that our 07 cars historically emulate the 1967 GT350, I researched period options and found 2 types, black grill with the 'fogs' either in the GT position or centered (aka Eleanor style). I'm sure someone here can chime in on the differences between the two.

Currently, I have a 'stock' polished grill inserted in 08 housing, with correct PIAA driving lights (for lower bezels) mounted behind the grill in the GT position.

My concept is to purchase another 08 housing, cut and fabricate the mounting brackets back a couple inches somehow, insert an extra black grill that I already have, cut holes in the center of the grill (Eleanor style) and flush the driving lights through with polished or chrome light bezels. I may have to trim the ends of black grill to fit as well.

Based on the many times I've pulled the front apart, the only issue may be fascia clearance in the grill opening and how the extended grill housing brackets fit. The plus to this mod is that its a quick switch back to the "correct" grill, and if recessed enough - the sub-frame mounted "Eleanor" lights would sit behind the polished grill. I would keep the grill pony badge in the correct 07 driver position as opposed to the 67 passenger side.

I have already made changes to car, like retro headlights and mirrors that already gives the car a 60's feel. All reversible of course, if one wants to revert to the original.

Am I going to far (I can be OCD :) Feedback please :play:

Edited by BlackSGT

Nah, you're not OCD....or well....not any "more" OCD than I am!!

I'll tell ya what came to mind when I saw your thread, and I wish they made one. The Agent 47 honeycomb grille. It's recessed like the '69 grille. But I just wish they did the very same grill sans fog openings.

I'd try one, if they did.

I happen to like your headlamps, BTW! :victory:

Please share some pictures if you do the install.

Of course!

Now thinking about fabricating my own brackets, revealing the paint on the inside opening just like a 67 GT350, and probably be able to recess deeper. Would have to find another way to support the radiator cover.

• 1 month later...

Update; I've been playing around with Photoshop with two different front looks. I can't work on the car in winter so a lot of mods are done in the spring (soon).

Looking for honest opinions, thoughts, issues ... feel free to post first impressions.

There are things I like about both concepts. Note that I've recessed both grills in the photos, still not sure if the grill can get backed up into the hood latch area, or how to attach to the rad cover - but will see when I can move parts around. As noted, the driving lights are the correct PIAA for this car. The Eleonore style is the easier of the two installs.

BlackGrill350Style  Photoshop Mockup

Eleanor Lower Photoshop Mockup

• 6 months later...

So I ended up mounting the driving lights in front of the lower grill. Relatively simple modification, and reversible. Personally, I think the look matches other retro changes to the car.

I purchased the PIAA 510X lights a few years ago with the intent of installing with the lower brake bezels .. but we all know those bezels are almost impossible to find.

I drilled and mounted the 510 brackets directly to the metal bumper, and used shallower mounting bolts and nuts for the light bracket, to clear the plastic bumper when installing. The brackets need to be angled slightly down to accommodate the top bolt as well. I added white halos for pop.

07SGT_DrivingLightInstall

07ShelbyGTSC_Gracie