TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Purchasing CSM No. 08KR0309

post-23697-0-13449900-1456857166_thumb.jpgpost-23697-0-59516700-1456857253_thumb.jpgHi All,

I am purchasing this car this week, that is if the car is what is represented when it arrives on the truck (being shipped to KC area)

I know it is a one owner and the car fax shows no accidents, does show the oil changes and a service bulletin performed at ford. The car has little less than 4K miles. I am purchasing from a dealer.

The reason for the purchase is that I thought it is to good a deal to pass up and sometimes those deals will bite you hence my message to you guys/gals.

I would appreciate any info good or bad that you can share. I am hoping to have zero big surprises when delivered. (I can get out of the purchase if I do not like what I see, just loose my shipping dollars)

While I have had several Shelby cars and Boss 302 car at the house. I have always wanted a KR so here we go :)

Thanks everyone,

-Billy

attachicon.gif525.jpgattachicon.gifKR.JPGHi All,

I am purchasing this car this week, that is if the car is what is represented when it arrives on the truck (being shipped to KC area)

I know it is a one owner and the car fax shows no accidents, does show the oil changes and a service bulletin performed at ford. The car has little less than 4K miles. I am purchasing from a dealer.

The reason for the purchase is that I thought it is to good a deal to pass up and sometimes those deals will bite you hence my message to you guys/gals.

I would appreciate any info good or bad that you can share. I am hoping to have zero big surprises when delivered. (I can get out of the purchase if I do not like what I see, just loose my shipping dollars)

While I have had several Shelby cars and Boss 302 car at the house. I have always wanted a KR so here we go :)

Thanks everyone,

-Billy

Thats GREAT news Billy!

Welcome to the KR family

From one KR owner to another welcome! Just a couple of things to look for that are KR specific. Ford racing brake duct kit. They were not installed at Shelby and put in the trunk in a Ford Racing box.. Some guys have installed the kit. Floor mats with the metal Shelby logo. What paperwork came with the car? Some cars came with a SVT certificate. Make sure all your engine caps are there. Shelby is selling them on Ebay for $824. Same for the carbon fiber splitter. If yours is damaged, the replacement will run you about $1000. After you finalize the deal, make sure you register your car at Shelby.

Word of caution of the Goodyear tires on your car. They are like hockey pucks below 40 degrees. Be careful driving in colder conditions. I took mine off and replaced them. I was lucky and got a set of 20" Alcoas and factory 18" as backups. They are not available anymore from Shelby.

You have a rare color combo. Only 100 Vista Blue cars of 1011 (9.89%) were produced in 08. All of 08's were 40th anniversary models.

Enjoy your ride!!

>Ford racing brake duct kit. They were not installed at Shelby and put in the trunk in a Ford Racing box.. Some guys have installed the kit...

Curious, why did Shelby not install the brake kit as part of final delivery for these cars?

-Pockdog

Sounds like a great car, hope it works out for you. Local Dealer still has a 09 KR on the showroom floor. (Silver with blue stripes) But won't move on his price of 60K plus. I noticed the front brake ducts were not open, still covered and I guess its because they were never completely installed. Car is still owned by the local dealer and never been titled. Would love to buy it but I think the price is too high yet.. Friendly Ford Lincoln, Monroe, Michigan 48162. (1 734 243 6000)

Sounds like a great car, hope it works out for you. Local Dealer still has a 09 KR on the showroom floor. (Silver with blue stripes) But won't move on his price of 60K plus. I noticed the front brake ducts were not open, still covered and I guess its because they were never completely installed. Car is still owned by the local dealer and never been titled. Would love to buy it but I think the price is too high yet.. Friendly Ford Lincoln, Monroe, Michigan 48162. (1 734 243 6000)

I'll be calling them in the morning.

Curious, why did Shelby not install the brake kit as part of final delivery for these cars?

-Pockdog

The brake ducting is only supposed to be installed for track driving. They have explicit warnings to not use them for daily/street driving. From what I can tell, once you install them, they are next to impossible to remove and put things back the way they were. Still have mine in the box, and that's where they will stay.

Is this still new with only a few miles on it? Sounds like there would be problems with any car that has been sitting for 6 years undriven.

The brake ducting is only supposed to be installed for track driving. They have explicit warnings to not use them for daily/street driving. From what I can tell, once you install them, they are next to impossible to remove and put things back the way they were. Still have mine in the box, and that's where they will stay.

Ah I see, thanks for the clarification... What is the nature of the explicit warning? Why is that set up not recommended for daily/street driving? Is there a concern about debris getting into the duct and causing a brake malfunction?

Thanks,

-Pockdog

thats not true. they can be removed very easily. i'm a computer guy and designer and i installed mine myself! i replaced the shelby brake duct kit, by the way, which was inferior to this Ford Racing/KR kit. also, i only drive mine on the street. can you elaborate on this warning? where is that? Edited by 2007red40thGT500

This is from page 5 of the Shelby GT500KR Supplement manual from Shelby Automotive:

FullSizeRender.jpg

And this is the warning label on the brake duct kit box:

IMG_2035.jpg

I believe there was a thread here where one of the Shelby/Ford gurus explained the problem. I also asked someone at Shelby about this when I was there. Its been a few years, but from what I can remember, the big problem comes from the shield that you install behind the rotor. Part of its function is to help focus the air from the duct onto the rotor. The downside is that for normal driving, you don't get enough air flow through the duct and it causes too much heat to build up on the rotor, since it isn't being ventilated normally as designed. If there's too much heat buildup, it WILL eventually warp the rotor, which has obvious safety implications.

Bottom line for me is that SAI says to not use the kit unless you are track driving the car. I believe they would be the experts on this topic and that's all the justification I need.

This is from page 5 of the Shelby GT500KR Supplement manual from Shelby Automotive:

<clip>

And this is the warning label on the brake duct kit box:

<clip>

I believe there was a thread here where one of the Shelby/Ford gurus explained the problem. I also asked someone at Shelby about this when I was there. Its been a few years, but from what I can remember, the big problem comes from the shield that you install behind the rotor. Part of its function is to help focus the air from the duct onto the rotor. The downside is that for normal driving, you don't get enough air flow through the duct and it causes too much heat to build up on the rotor, since it isn't being ventilated normally as designed. If there's too much heat buildup, it WILL eventually warp the rotor, which has obvious safety implications.

Bottom line for me is that SAI says to not use the kit unless you are track driving the car. I believe they would be the experts on this topic and that's all the justification I need.

Thanks for posting up pics of the warning notices from the supplied literature...

So it appears that it comes down to a cooling (i.e. volume-of-airflow) issue. With street driving, the brakes likely never heat up beyond what normally designed cooling can dissipate, yet normally-designed cooling can't (likely won't) dissipate enough heat under track driving conditions. Conversely, track driving introduces brake heat that is best cooled via the duct kit, yet by virtue of that design, requires higher sustained speeds (higher than what is experienced at street driving) to generate enough volume of air flow through the ducts to adequately cool track-driven hot brakes.

It's interesting that each brake cooling solution is only best suited to one driving style and not the other. This gets me to wondering, what other mods (if any) would be needed to make the 2008-2009 KR models "track cars"? Or, other than the brake kit, are they trackable in "stock" form?

-Pockdog

None of that makes any sense.

The only difference between the two shields is one has a hole in it that you attach the air duct to. So if you were driving at low speed and air wasn't going through the duct then it would be functioning exactly like the original shield.

I believe it has more to do with the absurd laws in CA.

Again I have had this on my car for 20,000 miles in stop and go D.C. traffic. Not one problem. I know of several people who have done the same and I have never heard of a problem.

sorry, but im not buying that rationale at all. why would shelby install them on their post-title cars like the 40th anniversary and super snake? those are street cars. the warning says nothing about brake temps or warped rotors. that's nonsense. if you looked at the OEM backing plate versus the ones used in the kit, you'd know that the OEM completely blocks air, while the kit has a hole for the tube to mount to. therefore, OEM is even more restrictive of air reaching the brake rotors, than the kit could ever be.

sorry, but im not buying that rationale at all. why would shelby install them on their post-title cars like the 40th anniversary and super snake? those are street cars....

Being post-title allows for aftermarket mods anyone can make without DOT being involved, pretty much at your own risk. The GT500s that were turned into SS/40th had already been sold and registered.

I suspect the KR duct kits weren't installed because they weren't part of what was submitted to DOT for road certification. Maybe they were considered too crude, or maybe the parts were just an afterthought, considered necessary during further testing after the car was already submitted to DOT for certification.

sorry, but im not buying that rationale at all. why would shelby install them on their post-title cars like the 40th anniversary and super snake? those are street cars. the warning says nothing about brake temps or warped rotors. that's nonsense. if you looked at the OEM backing plate versus the ones used in the kit, you'd know that the OEM completely blocks air, while the kit has a hole for the tube to mount to. therefore, OEM is even more restrictive of air reaching the brake rotors, than the kit could ever be.

Being post-title allows for aftermarket mods anyone can make without DOT being involved, pretty much at your own risk. The GT500s that were turned into SS/40th had already been sold and registered.

I suspect the KR duct kits weren't installed because they weren't part of what was submitted to DOT for road certification. Maybe they were considered too crude, or maybe the parts were just an afterthought, considered necessary during further testing after the car was already submitted to DOT for certification.

Old Lugs is correct. Its all about the lawyers and reducing liability. Because in this country, we have to protect ourselves, from ourselves...

I need to check the box (I have a second set), to see what it states.

Look at the Harley catalog....half the stuff in there clearly state "For off-road use only"....yea right, every bike on the road has those goodies installed (after purchase), I know mine did.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be calling them in the morning.

Went back and forth with Mike from Friendly Ford for several days. My final offer of $63,500.00 not including tax, license and transport, to be wired immediately was rejected by dealership owner. Would not budge off 65k. We all parted ways at that point. I felt my final offer was more than fair. When told by the salesman that 65k was the number he stated "the owner of the dealership is very fond of the car". At that point I said "sounds like it's not really for sale" ! Edited by cmcmotorworks

Went back and forth with Mike from Friendly Ford for several days. My final offer of $63,500.00 not including tax, license and transport, to be wired immediately was rejected by dealership owner. Would not budge off 65k. We all parted ways at that point. I felt my final offer was more than fair. When told by the salesman that 65k was the number he stated "the owner of the dealership is very fond of the car". At that point I said "sounds like it's not really for sale" !

My old man bought his last Lincoln form Friendly Ford...small world. Too bad you couldn't make a deal, but your offer was more than fair IMO. Hold out for a 2008 Chris!

My old man bought his last Lincoln form Friendly Ford...small world. Too bad you couldn't make a deal, but your offer was more than fair IMO. Hold out for a 2008 Chris!

Where my frustration came, was from when I first called and inquired about the price, I was told in the 64 to 65 k range. Which is a little odd to be given a range.