TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How to wash/fix up vinyl racing stripes

mark8855

I recently took delivery of a black coupe with red stripes, and the red stripes have some very light scratches in them. What can I do to fix these stripes? Has anyone had any experience with this? If it were paint, I'd just hit the area with my PC 7424 + some mild abrasive, but I don't want to screw up the vinyl.

Secondly, I assume I can just wax/polish right over top of the vinyl, right? Should I be careful and avoid getting wax on them?

I've heard that you want to wax, pushing out from the center of each stripe. so you aren't trying to push wax under the stripe. or cause the applicator to peel the stripe.

anything else, i'd like to know as well :)

nice car btw!

I don't have access to mine right now, but you might look up Turtle Wax ICE and see if they recommend it.

I use it on all the plastic trim as well as rubber under the hood, and it works great.

In order to make a recommendation I would have to see how badly they are scratched but the best thing to do is order a replacement stripe and have it put on, or put it on yourself. Prices will vary based on what pieces you want.

I recently took delivery of a black coupe with red stripes, and the red stripes have some very light scratches in them. What can I do to fix these stripes? Has anyone had any experience with this? If it were paint, I'd just hit the area with my PC 7424 + some mild abrasive, but I don't want to screw up the vinyl.

Secondly, I assume I can just wax/polish right over top of the vinyl, right? Should I be careful and avoid getting wax on them?

Yesterday a bird pooped right on my trunk stripe. As soon as I got home I washed is off, but it had actually dulled the stripe.

I had used some Novus #2 plastic polish on the plastic rear window of my 66 vert. So, I took some and it polished out the dull mark real nice. No scratches, swirls, etc.

This stuff works great. You can buy it at cycle shops (they use it to polish visors). I have used it on the stripes, on the plastic rear window of my 66, and on the headlight covers. I keep finding good uses for this stuff.

I have mine for 4 months and a 1000 milies. Last week I was washing the car and I noticed that a rock tour the stripe on the hood. It is not bad but i know it is there. I took it to a body shop and I am going to have the stripes painted on over the winter.

I have mine for 4 months and a 1000 milies. Last week I was washing the car and I noticed that a rock tour the stripe on the hood. It is not bad but i know it is there. I took it to a body shop and I am going to have the stripes painted on over the winter.

How much did they quote you to paint the stripes on?

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. The scratches are VERY light. You can't even see them unless you're looking for them, at the right angle, in the right lighting.

Archived