TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Engine light on after oil change?

Bruce2009KR

My month old '09 GT-500KR went in for an oil change yesterday. I brought the Proper 5w-50 synthetic Motorcraft oil and GT500 filter (also Motorcraft). I wanted the air filter changed and they tried but the new one I had from a ford dealer was just slightly smaller and wouldn't fit. Now, my "engine light" appears in my dash. Any ideas why? They said bring it back but something so simple as an oil change and trying to swap air cleaner and this warning light pops up. Any ideas why??

Thanks folks.

My month old '09 GT-500KR went in for an oil change yesterday. I brought the Proper 5w-50 synthetic Motorcraft oil and GT500 filter (also Motorcraft). I wanted the air filter changed and they tried but the new one I had from a ford dealer was just slightly smaller and wouldn't fit. Now, my "engine light" appears in my dash. Any ideas why? They said bring it back but something so simple as an oil change and trying to swap air cleaner and this warning light pops up. Any ideas why??

Thanks folks.

Try disconnecting the positive battery cable for a minute to reboot the computer.

Try disconnecting the positive battery cable for a minute to reboot the computer.

Doing so will erase all of the calibrations and require a long drive cycle to reset them. It is best to get the code first. Then note that clearing the code will also reset all system calibrations and require a long drive cycle. If the code is evap related (gas cap leak) the resetting will be a long way to just have it come back.

I bought a bluetooth OBDII reader from Amazon.com. It can clear codes and also reports the system readiness indicators needed to pass OBDII emissions testing in CA and NV (and others). It uses a smartphone (the one I have currently only supports Android, but there are others.)

Edited by twobjshelbys

Doing so will erase all of the calibrations and require a long drive cycle to reset them. It is best to get the code first. Then note that clearing the code will also reset all system calibrations and require a long drive cycle. If the code is evap related (gas cap leak) the resetting will be a long way to just have it come back.

I bought a bluetooth OBDII reader from Amazon.com. It can clear codes and also reports the system readiness indicators needed to pass OBDII emissions testing in CA and NV (and others). It uses a smartphone (the one I have currently only supports Android, but there are others.)

Forgive me ; where does one get the KR code to deliver to this shop (well respected in my area)? I'm torn with what to do here. Damn--why the hell did they do anything other than change the fricken oil!!!

you'll have to check the code. Most auto parts, e.g., Auto Zone, etc, will check the code for free.

You need to make sure the dealer didn't reprogram the standard "tune" back into the ECU. I'm pretty sure the KR has a unique version. (Someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

How do I "make sure the dealer / shop didn't reprogram the standard "tune" back into ECU? (ECU?? For the newbie)

Some tune boxes (e.g., SCT) tell you the manufacturer code of the tune that is installed and the one that is the factory tune. But let's establish first that the KR came with a ECU configuration different from a base Mustang. I'm pretty sure it did but let's be sure you aren't looking for something that isn't there.

ECU == Engine Control Unit (the "computer")

Edited by twobjshelbys

Yes,the KR is programmed with a unique Ford Racing tune that has 40 more HP than the standard GT500.

Bring the car to someone that knows Fords, especially GT500's. It's a unique car and most mechanics (even at Ford dealers) are unfamiliar with it.

Any ideas how best to find one of these competent GT-500 guys? I spoke to Shelby and they said the only authorized on the east coast was Tasca. is there anyone in Virginia/Maryland/DC that someone might be aware of? Even PA I guess. Thanks.

Bruce,

It's totally safe to take the car to AutoZone and have em plug in their OBDII under the dash and give you an "error" code.

If it was my car (and I'm VERY fussy!) I would do just that. I have in fact!

Start there..... It's free and it may be something silly.

:salute:

Chris

Edit - Oh. And welcome to Team Shelby!

Edited by BIKEBOY

Bruce,

It's totally safe to take the car to AutoZone and have em plug in their OBDII under the dash and give you an "error" code.

Chris

Like I said, I spent somewhere close to $20 for the OBDII reader and it's paid me back. The bluetooth ones are so cheap it's almost pathetic. If I were a manufacturer I'd make it an option for a bluetooth OBDII connection to connect to an app. In fact, with the "Sync" stuff it ought to just be there.

Bruce,

Chris

Chris--thanks for the welcome and the advice. I'm just a bit unclear what happens after they plug it into their OBDII (whatever that is!?). So if it shows an error code--then what? Tell the guys to correct it? Take it home and weep? Take it back to the nitwits that disturbed something?? Thanks in advance! Edited by Bruce2009KR

Chris--thanks for the welcome and the advice. I'm just a bit unclear what happens after they plug it into their OBDII (whatever that is!?). So if it shows an error code--then what? Tell the guys to correct it? Take it home no weep? Take it back to the nitwits that disturbed something?? Thanks in advance!

The code will be the first thing to find out. They will probably suggest a fix but I would not take them up on it. Since it seems like you are sort of green in this space it might be best to come here and tell us what code(s) are present. They will help tell if they are due to an incorrect tune being reinstalled.

Don't Panic!

Any ideas how best to find one of these competent GT-500 guys? I spoke to Shelby and they said the only authorized on the east coast was Tasca. is there anyone in Virginia/Maryland/DC that someone might be aware of? Even PA I guess. Thanks.

It is probably just a sensor that is failing. As they have said you can go to any parts store and they can tell you why the engine light is on and what you need to fix it.

If you are uneasy about replacing the parts yourself I would take it to a ford dealer.

If you feel that it needs to be retuned there are couple places.

Manassas Park, VA. I have heard some good and bad things about them. https://m.facebook.com/Excessive-Motorsport-308182886556/

New Provodence, PA

Never heard anything bad about them. My car is in his shop right now. However he doesn't fix cars for a living. It is more of a side job. If you take it there it will be there for a while but it will be done right.

http://www.jlpracing.com

Where are you located? I have been in the northern VA area for 6 years and in all that time I have only seen one other KR on the road.

The code will be the first thing to find out. They will probably suggest a fix but I would not take them up on it. Since it seems like you are sort of green in this space it might be best to come here and tell us what code(s) are present. They will help tell if they are due to an incorrect tune being reinstalled.

Don't Panic!

What Tony said!

It is probably just a sensor that is failing. As they have said you can go to any parts store and they can tell you why the engine light is on and what you need to fix it.

If you are uneasy about replacing the parts yourself I would take it to a ford dealer.

If you feel that it needs to be retuned there are couple places.

Manassas Park, VA. I have heard some good and bad things about them. https://m.facebook.com/Excessive-Motorsport-308182886556/

New Provodence, PA

Never heard anything bad about them. My car is in his shop right now. However he doesn't fix cars for a living. It is more of a side job. If you take it there it will be there for a while but it will be done right.

http://www.jlpracing.com

Where are you located? I have been in the northern VA area for 6 years and in all that time I have only seen one other KR on the road.

Sheppd, I'm in Haymarket. I purchased it from a friend of a friend in Fredericksburg. Life is too short! I love it! Would be glad to meet up anytime for coffee. Thanks for your answer.

Bruce, in Northern VA, Ted Britt Ford in Fairfax. Make sure you request Eric. Eric has always worked on my GT500, before and after Super Snake. He knows Shelby's.

Good luck!

It's unlikely the shop installed a different tune or calibration in your car. They could have done something wrong while attempting to replace the air filter. The DTC (diagnostic trouble code) code should be the first clue. Ford Racing offers an air filter that fits. Welcome to the site.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=10509

Edited by 6-Speed

whenever a ford dealer has updated mine, they log it in the paperwork. Look at your receipt and see if there is anything that mentions that they performed a calibration update with a labor code by it. (They get paid for the work so they would log it to be reimbursed)

Either way, get a tuner and look up the code. Also make sure the oil level is correct and that they reconnected the mass air flow sensor snugly on the cold air intake, both could have been affected based on your explanation.

Edited by svtmattUT

Thanks again folks. See my new "update thread" ( the top one has a pic--accidently posted twice and can't for the life of me figure out how to delete the one w no pic!). Light is off now; all seems well and she's purring like a, LION!

Sheppd01; I'd love to attend. I did not see a place to register yet so let me know if I missed it or what I need to do--thanks!

This is really the best place for you to post your information on your diagnosis. That way it is all in one "thread".

(It ought to be a rule in auto forums that if someone posts a question about what a problem is that they should follow up with the solution. It's the teaching part. Thanks for doing so!)

P.S. Your photo of the dangling widget didn't get through.

Edited by twobjshelbys

This is really the best place for you to post your information on your diagnosis. That way it is all in one "thread".

(It ought to be a rule in auto forums that if someone posts a question about what a problem is that they should follow up with the solution. It's the teaching part. Thanks for doing so!)

P.S. Your photo of the dangling widget didn't get through.

I'll get it right eventually guys; sorry and thanks for bearing with me. I'm better with a 9-iron (grin). I tried to delete my follow-up post without the pic but couldn't figure out how. I believe the first one does have the pic.

image.png

Hmmm, there should never be anything connected to the OBDII port. Are you sure there isn't some aftermarket doodad at the other end of the cable? Furthermore, it looks like the OBDII connector has been removed from its mount. If I recall correctly it is securely attached slightly above the bottom of the lower part of the dash panel.

Can you get a clearer picture (in focus)?

Edited by twobjshelbys

Various insurance companies offer devices to plug into the OBDII port to track driving techniques, and Oregon, and possibly California, are experimenting with devices to track miles and road use for taxation purposes. There are also used car dealers that install devices to track their cars until all the easy weekly payments are made, but I don't know that they typically use the OBDII port. Also, some breathalyzer ignition interlock devices use the OBDII port.

Folks, I used my I-phone to snap some photos to see what's going on with the port under my dash. It appears their are two ports and clearly the one has been detached from what appears to be its slot. Again, the car is running fine so I don't know whether to leave well enough alone but it is puzzling to me. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg