TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Broken Antenna Base

msbmustang

Good Afternoon everyone,

Well I am paying the price for buying a cheap shorty antenna from American Muscle.

This week I noticed I could not receive a local radio station when going over the hill to Half Moon Bay. I decided to put the orig long antenna back in. Unfortunately the "steel" insert they used for the shorty antenna had rusted out and broke off. (Problem of living near the ocean!Now I have not antenna and have been unable to get the broken off insert out of the antenna base. My easy out set is too big for this screw size.

So any suggestions? I have been trying to find a replacement procedure for the entire antenna assembly online but have been unable to find one?

This forum has solved every problem I have ever had since 2007 and I am sure someone else has had to replace the antenna bracket.

Thanks,

MSB Mustang / Mark

Well...I unscrewed the base after popping off the plastic cover for the base. I then cut the cable and took the entire assembly with the stuck screw into my shop with the "big vise"!

Put the shaft of the screw into the vise and turned the base assembly (after soaking it in liquid wrench). The snapped off adapter came right out! Then I spliced the antenna back into the cable

coming out of the fender (I am an EE), remounted the base and put the "old long" antenna back in. Now I can receive the Sharks station in my car at my house for the first time in 3 years. We will

see how it works coming over the hill and down into the valley on the way into Half Moon Bay. Cell phones don't work well there either!

So the Shorty antenna is bad for reception and it rusts out in the base. My advice is to not purchase the shorty antennas...especially if you live near the ocean! Also the shorty antenna rusted on the outside and I painted it... twice!... and it is rusted again, but in the trash now!

Best "Long Ugly Antenna Again" Regards,

Mark

PS - We need a replacement antenna that screws into the existing base and then "pulls up" to full length for best reception. Then it could be pushed down when we don't need it and want the car to look better...and it must be made out of stainless steel!!!

Well...I unscrewed the base after popping off the plastic cover for the base. I then cut the cable and took the entire assembly with the stuck screw into my shop with the "big vise"!

Put the shaft of the screw into the vise and turned the base assembly (after soaking it in liquid wrench). The snapped off adapter came right out! Then I spliced the antenna back into the cable

coming out of the fender (I am an EE), remounted the base and put the "old long" antenna back in. Now I can receive the Sharks station in my car at my house for the first time in 3 years. We will

see how it works coming over the hill and down into the valley on the way into Half Moon Bay. Cell phones don't work well there either!

So the Shorty antenna is bad for reception and it rusts out in the base. My advice is to not purchase the shorty antennas...especially if you live near the ocean! Also the shorty antenna rusted on the outside and I painted it... twice!... and it is rusted again, but in the trash now!

Best "Long Ugly Antenna Again" Regards,

Mark

PS - We need a replacement antenna that screws into the existing base and then "pulls up" to full length for best reception. Then it could be pushed down when we don't need it and want the car to look better...and it must be made out of stainless steel!!!

Something like the 60`s had . :lol:

You could do like I did and just shorten your OEM antenna. The ball on the end will pull off. Next cut the antenna to your desired height, then reattach the ball on the end with a little dab of two part epoxy and paint. It's better than using those inferior shorty antenna's and free!

I had a shortie antenna fail on me too, it was so thin that the flexing in the wind eventually caused to break.

I then ordered one of these and it works well and looks great:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/mrt-antenna-shorty-13-1-2-1979-2009/p/ANT25-V/

The cool thing is that you can order them painted, I went with the Vista Blue to match my stripes.

If reception and signal strength is a factor, then a full length antenna would be the best option.

As for corrosion, some silicon or teflon type lubricant should help prevent that.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. MSB64 (born in 64?) I of course am an MSB also...but a bit older as I also use MSBMustang54.

I think I will order the black shorter one from CJ as I only need it to be a little shorter to get out of my car tent without hitting the steel cross bars I put in that are shorter now.

Cutting it down is also an option. Thanks 08KR525 for that.

For now I am back to using the "long/tall old antenna to listen to the Sharks and Warriors on the long drive home...but it does start swinging back and forth every time I go in out of the car tent.

MSBMustang / Mark

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. MSB64 (born in 64?) I of course am an MSB also...but a bit older as I also use MSBMustang54.

I think I will order the black shorter one from CJ as I only need it to be a little shorter to get out of my car tent without hitting the steel cross bars I put in that are shorter now.

Cutting it down is also an option. Thanks 08KR525 for that.

For now I am back to using the "long/tall old antenna to listen to the Sharks and Warriors on the long drive home...but it does start swinging back and forth every time I go in out of the car tent.

MSBMustang / Mark

Ya those aren`t antennas they are more like whip aerials.. I cut mine down Works fine.

Pretty much any type of water resistant grease would work, I prefer the silicone/teflon type because it has a tendency to repel dust.

Something like Prothane Super Grease is now one of my favorites for many things, besides suspension components.

The 64 part is for my first car, a 1964 Pontiac.

I should mention that with the MRT antenna I can get local FM channels over 60 miles out of the city, which I think is pretty good.

I picked up a black one first, but I prefer the look of the Vista Blue one on my car, can always use the black one on another vehicle.

My cousin ordered a Highland Green one for his Bullitt Mustang, and really likes it as well.

I haven't tried a cut down antenna, so cannot compare the results, but sounds like a good diy project that would be be worth a try.

For myself, I like to hang onto all my oem takeoffs, just in case they are needed someday.

Being into electronics yourself, some type of contact enhancer like MG Chemicals Contact Cleaner or Nu-trol might be also worth a try.

With a thinner fluid like that, you might want to check on it every few years or so to recoat.

Pretty much any type of water resistant grease would work, I prefer the silicone/teflon type because it has a tendency to repel dust.

Something like Prothane Super Grease is now one of my favorites for many things, besides suspension components.

The 64 part is for my first car, a 1964 Pontiac.

I should mention that with the MRT antenna I can get local FM channels over 60 miles out of the city, which I think is pretty good.

I picked up a black one first, but I prefer the look of the Vista Blue one on my car, can always use the black one on another vehicle.

My cousin ordered a Highland Green one for his Bullitt Mustang, and really likes it as well.

I haven't tried a cut down antenna, so cannot compare the results, but sounds like a good diy project that would be be worth a try.

For myself, I like to hang onto all my oem takeoffs, just in case they are needed someday.

I cut one down but not the OEM one any 98, 99 F150 are identical Ford must have bought a train full of these whip aerials.. Just heat the ball up remove it cut it mike the end & drill the ball out .010" under reheat it & install then repaint it.