TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why do I like the sgt so much ?

SGT2039

What happened here? I thought this thread was about how much those of us liked our SGT. Somehow it got hijacked by a Gt500 owner. GT 500's are great cars but are a different breed (SVT) than the Shelby SGT's. Ford paid Shelby to put his name on the GT 500's. We paid Shelby for a vehicle that was prepared in Vegas using Ford Racing and Shelby designed components. Incidently Shelby still offers upgrades for the GT 500's (Supersnakes) if you really want a Thouroughbred.

what i'm telling you is regardless of who approached who about Le Mans or the Mustang, the reason for Shelby American's existence is, was and always will be due to Ford. It's Ford's product that leveraged Shelby's image. that is still true today and still applies to the SGT. every time anyone starts rattling off how special a Shelby American car is relative to a Ford factory Shelby, i will continue to set the record straight. If it bothers some of you, don't follow the thread. Facts are facts.

What happened here? I thought this thread was about how much those of us liked our SGT. Somehow it got hijacked by a Gt500 owner. GT 500's are great cars but are a different breed (SVT) than the Shelby SGT's. Ford paid Shelby to put his name on the GT 500's. We paid Shelby for a vehicle that was prepared in Vegas using Ford Racing and Shelby designed components. Incidently Shelby still offers upgrades for the GT 500's (Supersnakes) if you really want a Thouroughbred.

this is exactly why this thread changed topic from simply admiration of the SGT.

Yep, yet another thread that has gone down the path of bickering, finger pointing and all out classless taunts.... where is the "disgusted" emoticon.....

Too funny, right? Happens every time.

oh lord... here we go. so misleading to say that. the car is in fact, made by ford and modded with ford racing parts by shelby american.

You are correct, however I think the following is a more accurate description -

Just like the original Shelby mustangs of the 60's, specially prepared '07 & '08 Mustangs were shipped to Shelby's facility to be transformed into Mustang Shelby GT's, after which they were delivered to Ford dealers pre-title for sale to the public.

Red40th, you need to start reading and stop writing , you are coming off as ignorant and foolish. I get that you have no interest or knowledge of Shelby American so why share an uninformed opinion? Remember you have a right to your own opinion but not your own facts.

I reread this thread from the beginning :read: , you we're doing fine until your post #64....... Then you lost me........ :doh: Hopefully a good nights sleep will help?

This thread had the potential to be a classic and now not so much, man I still can't believe this shit still happens.

Edited by 08SGT1234

Speaking of all things Shelby, or what is and isn't a Shelby, I remember when Carroll would come to the local SCAT (Shelby Cobra Association of Texas) conventions here in Dallas. He would always set-up and sign autographs for everyone at the convention, visit and discuss his cars with the members and always made a short speech or presentation after the dinner event.

One thing that he despised, besides the kit car Cobra builders, would be to call his Shelby Cobra an AC Cobra. He couldn't stand it. I remember one year, back in the early 1990s at the convention, my brother, who owned the sixth 289 Cobra made, asked Carroll to autograph this gorgeous poster of a Cobra which had AC Cobra printed in large block letters above the car. Carroll was kind enough to autograph the poster after telling my brother that the car is a Shelby Cobra - not an AC Cobra. Carroll crossed out the AC and wrote Shelby directly above it. My brother still has the poster of the "Shelby Cobra" with two autographs of Shelby!!!

It was clear when Carroll would talk that he was proud of his cars, his image and what he created in those little shops in California. Shelby created the Cobras and the Shelby Mustangs my friends, make no doubt about it.

EDIT - Attached are some photos of the AC Cobra poster along with "the man" signing some items for me from the 1994 SCAT convention.

post-26281-0-88787900-1456531440_thumb.jpg

post-26281-0-42346200-1456531449_thumb.jpg

post-26281-0-66962300-1456531465_thumb.jpg

post-26281-0-38887000-1456531482_thumb.jpg

post-26281-0-32695400-1456531496_thumb.jpg

Edited by springer

I reread this thread from the beginning :read: , you we're doing fine until your post #64....... Then you lost me........ :doh: Hopefully a good nights sleep will help?

This thread had the potential to be a classic and now not so much, man I still can't believe this shit still happens.

You are 100% correct. Just because 2039 used the word "made". Every single other person here knew exactly what he was talking about and was able to interpret the meaning. But since he said "made" and not "final assembly" or "modified" or "became Shelby", 2007 went off the handle. Everybody here knows exactly how the SGT came about and what SAI did to them. There was absolutely no need whatsoever to completely go off rail and off topic because of this one little word. Very sad.

They have something special and we all "get it" which is interesting. I am always surprised how few people aware that these are Shelby's not made by ford.

This right here is where I took exception to the topic. This bullshit idea that the SGT is so special and everyone here know it (except most of the other people in the world who don't... lol). This fairy tale bullshit about them being special because they are not made by Ford. what a bunch of horseshit. The car is 99% Ford, with 1% Shelby American modifications, all of which came from Ford's other division, Ford Racing. The other car implicated here for comparison sake would be the GT500. No surprise, given thats the only car he could possibly be referring to in this context, is in contrast, not special because it was made 100% by Ford. More bullshit given the GT500 was conceived of, designed as, engineering as and consulted with Carroll directly to be a "Shelby" Mustang from the beginning with proprietary engineering and a parts list of top shelf components. Nevermind that the SGT's upgrades included shitty aftermarket stripes, a warped, problematic hood scoop, only 19hp over the standard GT, base Mustang brakes, and an incredible markup relative to the cost of the FRPP components (as cited by Car & Driver). I drove one. It was slow. At least it looked good and you could drive it to its limits without too much fear of losing control or going to jail for insane speeds. In short, it had all the right attitude and made all the right sounds for a mild-mannered street car, without any of the potency of a real muscle car. So yeah, that's what it is...a Ford Mustang, lightly modded by Shelby American with Ford Racing parts, nothing more, nothing less. Now if some of you could stop jacking each other off over it, we could all admire it as-is.

They have something special and we all "get it" which is interesting. I am always surprised how few people aware that these are Shelby's not made by ford.

This right here is where I took exception to the topic. This bullshit idea that the SGT is so special and everyone here know it (except most of the other people in the world who don't... lol). This fairy tale bullshit about them being special because they are not made by Ford. what a bunch of horseshit. The car is 99% Ford, with 1% Shelby American modifications, all of which came from Ford's other division, Ford Racing. The other car implicated here for comparison sake would be the GT500. No surprise, given thats the only car he could possibly be referring to in this context, is in contrast, not special because it was made 100% by Ford. More bullshit given the GT500 was conceived of, designed as, engineering as and consulted with Carroll directly to be a "Shelby" Mustang from the beginning with proprietary engineering and a parts list of top shelf components. Nevermind that the SGT's upgrades included shitty aftermarket stripes, a warped, problematic hood scoop, only 19hp over the standard GT, base Mustang brakes, and an incredible markup relative to the cost of the FRPP components (as cited by Car & Driver). I drove one. It was slow. At least it looked good and you could drive it to its limits without too much fear of losing control or going to jail for insane speeds. In short, it had all the right attitude and made all the right sounds for a mild-mannered street car, without any of the potency of a real muscle car. So yeah, that's what it is...a Ford Mustang, lightly modded by Shelby American with Ford Racing parts, nothing more, nothing less. Now if some of you could stop jacking each other off over it, we could all admire it as-is.

Wow, real classy dude!! So much more can be said but I don't stoop to those low levels. Maybe a timeout is in order!!

Wow, I guess a good night sleep didn't help......... :drop:

The OP basically asked a very simple question, again your first couple of posts, even using the pics from the magazine comparing the original '65 the '07 were spot on.

Not one person has posted ANYTHING about comparing the two cars (SGT/GT500)! You brought this into this tread, you did this on your own. And now you're butt hurt and taking it out on everyone else, thanks for ruining this thread, I hope you're happy now.... :congrats:

PS. Were you picked on in middle school? :poke:

Edited by 08SGT1234

You don't "get it",

Now go have your mom make you a sandwich and take a little nap, your overtired and cranky.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Edited by SGT2039

I still can't figure out why this "2007 red whatever" jumped on this thread because he took exception to the topic. I enjoyed the topic until this clown disassembled it. All the rest of you SGT owners get out and enjoy your SHELBY's. That is w hat I will be doing today.

As Sgt. Hunter said, "Judas Priest". If you don't like it why don't you go to the forum dedicated to people who hate Ford. But please go away from here.

Which SGT do you have? Just wondering, because the original poster asks "Why do I like the SGT so much?"

So in the short couple weeks I've had my beloved SGT, my list of mods are:

FRPP K-member brace

CS Racetrack emblem on the faux gas cap

Shelby black lower billet grille

2008 SGT Billet aluminum hood pin kit (silver no logo)

CDC Sequential tail lamp harnesses

GT500 rear mudguards

CDC Dead Pedal

I love my slow SGT! And if I want more power and a scary hair raising experience, I'll go drive my 2008 GT500 with its FRPP tune.

:cool:

and i think i'll stay right here, BECAUSE I CAN. nobody is hating on Ford. exact opposite. SOME of you need to stop driving your SGTs and improve your reading comprehension skills.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"

To quote 2007red40thGT500 ....So yeah, that's what it is...a Ford Mustang, lightly modded by Shelby American with Ford Racing parts, nothing more, nothing less. Now if some of you could stop jacking each other off over it, we could all admire it as-is.

Well, now that I am still laughing after reading these foolish comments by someone that is nothing more than misinformed - let's not forget, as many of us Shelby GT owners haven't, that a 2007 Shelby GT, driven by Sam Strano. won the 2007, 2008, and 2009 SCCA F-stock National Champion plus the SCCA ProSolo Class Champion. Also 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion.

Yes, this "shitty little car" ....as the chief antagonist here calls it... was a class champion.