TEAM SHELBY FORUM

M-7210-B: Ford Racing Short Throw

ShelbyEra08

I am just wondering if anyone has the Ford Racing M-7210-B shifter in their 07-09 GT500. I am looking at getting a short throw shifter for my car, and I came across a good deal for that shifter. I know probably Barton, MGW or something else would be better. I don't abuse my car and I am looking for a good replacement to the factory shifter.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, just really want to get rid/improve the baby rattler play I have when in gear.

Without checking the box in my basement (I'm at work now), I believe that's the one I have. It's the 'standard' Ford Motorsports short throw shifter, and I think it was the same one that came stock on the KR's.

I don't drag race my car, but wanted something a little better than stock. I like it, as the throws are much shorter and crisper.

If you aren't going for that last 1/10th of a second in the quarter mile, I think you will be pleased with it too.

Z-man

I am just wondering if anyone has the Ford Racing M-7210-B shifter in their 07-09 GT500. I am looking at getting a short throw shifter for my car, and I came across a good deal for that shifter. I know probably Barton, MGW or something else would be better. I don't abuse my car and I am looking for a good replacement to the factory shifter.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, just really want to get rid/improve the baby rattler play I have when in gear.

I have the Ford Racing shifter & love it , I don`t think you will be disappointed in it .

I don't know what kind of good deal you have found on the FRPP shifter, but Shelby is selling their "Shelby" logo'ed 2007-2009 GT500 shifters right now in the outlet and it is a Barton unit. <<It is not a bad deal at all for $275, considering non-Shelby (regular Barton logo'ed) Barton's are approx. $400 and this Shelby/Barton was originally $456.

I have the original FRPP shifter in my Super Snake that was installed by Shelby in the Mod Shop. For me, there is too much side to side play when that shifter handle is in each gear. I have also experienced 2-3 lock outs when shifting lightly, requiring me to go back to second and try again. I never shift my car hard, ever, and have experienced this lock out many times with light and moderate shifts 2-3. <<<This sucks!

If you want to read some informative information on the Ford designed GT500 shifters and the changes through the years (including the FRPP and KR), the link below is good............

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?953804-A-tale-of-two-shifters&highlight=tail+of+two+shifters

^^^^^^^^The specific FRPP shifter you are asking about is analyzed and dissected in the link above, just keep reading.

R

Edited by Robert M

I have been running the FRPP shifter for 2 or 3 years with no issues, a noticeable improvement over the stock shifter, especially with the FRPP handle and knob.

Minimal play at any point, and never had a lock out shift soft or hard.

If you check around, I see them now as low as $89.95 too, hard to beat at that price.

Had the dealer install the FRPP shifter as part of the deal when I bought her. Best thing ever, I love the feel. Started modding the car as soon as I got it home. Never had the inkling to change the shifter, even after the ton of mods I've done in the last 4yrs of owning the car.

Mark

Edited by Shelby73

I agree, it is a nice affordable upgrade.

If I were to rate my top 6 driver friendly upgrades that I would not hesitate to recommend, they would be:

1 - Eliminating the oem rubber bushings in the shifter/handle (reduce mushy/sloppy feel)

2 - Upgrading to the KR shifter (shorter throw)

3 - Switching to the Ford Racing shifter ball (better hand fit)

4 - Royal Purple Syncromax (better/smoother shifting)

4 - Installing a Raptor shift light (ability to keep my eyes on the road)

5 - Increasing rear gear ratio to 3.73 (easier driving and better launches)

Good deal on Amazon while they last

http://www.amazon.com/2007-2009-Shelby-GT500-GT500KR-Shifter/dp/B003TPL6T2/

I agree, it is a nice affordable upgrade.

If I were to rate my top 6 driver friendly upgrades that I would not hesitate to recommend, they would be:

1 - Eliminating the oem rubber bushings in the shifter/handle (reduce mushy/sloppy feel)

2 - Upgrading to the KR shifter (shorter throw)

3 - Switching to the Ford Racing shifter ball (better hand fit)

4 - Royal Purple Syncromax (better/smoother shifting)

4 - Installing a Raptor shift light (ability to keep my eyes on the road)

5 - Increasing rear gear ratio to 3.73 (easier driving and better launches)

Good deal on Amazon while they last

http://www.amazon.com/2007-2009-Shelby-GT500-GT500KR-Shifter/dp/B003TPL6T2/

Hmmmmm.....

Read the review underneath the listing there.... The dude says it's just a stock 500 shifter and doesn't change a thing. :headscratch:

If the number is correct on the box and shifter, then it is the real McCoy.

Amazon is pretty good at returns too, especially if something is not as advertised.

Any issues I have had with them, they took care of promptly and without question.

The shifters can be bought elsewhere, but the cheapest I have seen them before was in the $120 range which is what I paid for mine.

Keep in mind that not every post is worth the time to read it, the poster didn't even seem to know what should be in the car.

• 4 weeks later...

A friend tried to order one of them from the Amazon link above, and when he did they claimed there was a mixup.

Pretty sure the seller realized he had them priced too low and pulled them, they showed up again at a higher price under slightly different wording.

A little searching around and found that Summit has a good price on them, currently at $171.97 and free shipping.

Only other change I am looking at myself, is to get one of the Blowfish Racing's shifter mount/ driveshaft loop.

It takes the flex between the shifter/body and transmission out of the equation, and adds the protection of a driveshaft loop up front.

• 1 month later...

Any chance anyone knows where I can find a Ford Racing SVT/Shelby Short throw shift handle and knob in the color black that fit the KR Short throw shifter for the 2007 GT500? (M-7213-J) I have the shifter but I need the handle and knob.

Those appear to be disappearing fast, and no longer at the larger vendors, might be a few left at smaller ones but you would have to do some searching.

An option though is the stainless steel arm with the white ball (which can be changed out) M-7213-K

There is one vendor on eBay that has 2 in stock and selling for a bit less than the original FRPP price.

The stainless arm was about $100 more than the black coated steel one when they came out.

I have one on my car myself and wouldn't trade it for anything, they should have came on the cars in the first place.

Once you get rid of all the mushy/sloppy rubber in the shifter arm assembly, it takes on a whole new positive/precise feel to it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-RACING-2007-09-SVT-WHITE-SHIFT-KNOB-AND-HANDLE-M-7213-K-/371260262013

Appears to be several of the M-7213-K ones around, typically around MSRP or up to $50 more.

Even found one of the M-7213-J ones, but it does come with a healthy markup on it, almost double the original cost.

http://www.fordracingbyspeedshopdirect.com/Shelby_GT500_Black_Shift_Knob_and_Stick_p/m-7213-j.htm

Something similar is starting to happen with the KR style M-20201-C strut tower bar (07 - 09 GT500), disappearing fast from major vendors but so far the prices are still reasonable.

Get one while you can, they are way beefier than the 07 - 09 braces and much nicer looking, zero clearance issues on the stock, FRPP or VMP TVS blowers.

No clearance issues with the stock or FRPP 113mm CAIs either, but with larger CAIs like the 123/127 JLT you may have to shim the bar up or make some form of modification.