TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What wax to use?

Lovemy302LS

I have recently decided to detail my Laguna Seca my self, tired of the crappy service and missed spots. Anyway went to get wax and some wash and holy hell had a mental over load. Anyway was hoping I could get some tips and recommendations on wax, soaps, and something for the dash. Thanks all.

I should really make a boilerplate post for this:

Just about any well-known set of car care products will do a good job. Adam's is good. A large part of the doing-it-yourself is the scent of the stuff you're using. Find one you like to smell, and go to work. I think Meguiars discovered this: they make good stuff that is very pleasant to work with, olfactorily speaking.

There are zealots who will denigrate all but their choices, but that's their opinion, man. No more than that. Opinions.

Lovemy302LS,

Welcome to Team Shelby!

Keep an eye out for activities / events here in your region: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/forum/96-pacific-coast/

Frank makes a good point above and I think you'll be pleased with the other recommendations also.

I favor Meguiar's products...

302LS_zps2518b57b.jpg

Thanks to all, you all have been very helpful I have a nice list of some stuff to look at now. This is a great forum can't believe how helpful you all were I won't look lost and brain dead while looking at the waxes and soaps this time again thanks to all. Oh and beautiful Pony's...

Lots of good products out there, just happens that I have been using Adams Americana carnuba wax myself.

Make sure that whatever you do decide to go with, take the time and claybar your car first.

All you need is a good claybar and lubricant like the Adams detail spray, good Adams videos on youtube on how to do that properly.

It makes a huge difference and easily noticeable in feel, shine and the way it repels water.

I swear my cars finish now looks better than it did brand new.

Every now and then I top it up with their Brilliant Glaze, and it really pops.

Lots of good products out there, just happens that I have been using Adams Americana carnuba wax myself.

Make sure that whatever you do decide to go with, take the time and claybar your car first.

All you need is a good claybar and lubricant like the Adams detail spray, good Adams videos on youtube on how to do that properly.

It makes a huge difference and easily noticeable in feel, shine and the way it repels water.

I swear my cars finish now looks better than it did brand new.

Every now and then I top it up with their Brilliant Glaze, and it really pops.

I'm a believer in Adams' "In and Out" spray, that re-beautifies just about anything anywhere on your car. Their direct-purchase staff was extra-helpful when I dropped the spray nozzle between a fender and another structural member, to where it was just plain inaccessable.

Clay-bar is another of those sensual things you can do with your car; it's almost sexual; once again, however, the detail-spray scent is a plus, but water will do just as well.

I do my painted/clear-coated wheels with the clay-bar process every now and then. You really can see the difference.

Cruise this site to get an idea of what's out there, and how much.

Mind your clicks: this could be a disaster!

• 2 weeks later...

I just used Menzerna super finish 3500 last weekend and afterwords used Power Lock+ made by Jescar, both went on super easy and were forgiving. I got both on some surrounding plastics by mistake and had no problems with residus. Very happy with the shine and ease of application.

Turtle wax ice. Wash with detergent (to remove old waxes), then clay bar, two coats of turtle wax ice paste. Clean with turtle wax wash then use any detailer to polish. Every third time or so use Turtle Wax liquid "wax" to refresh the surfaces. This lasted me two years (car always garaged) before I had to start over with clay bar to repeat.

The great thing about the Turtle Wax wax products is you can use it on the grey textured plastic parts as it doesn't leave a residue. Two coats on the plastic front parts and back of mirrors made removing dead bugs easy.

I am extremely happy with the Griot products. Whatever line you use, I think there is a benefit to using the same maker for everything...polish, spray cleaner, wax, etc. Just my .02, but I had a scuff on my passenger door that I thought would never come out...about 10 minutes of clay, correcting cream, polish, and wax and it looks like glass again.

Turtle wax ice. Wash with detergent (to remove old waxes), then clay bar, two coats of turtle wax ice paste. Clean with turtle wax wash then use any detailer to polish. Every third time or so use Turtle Wax liquid "wax" to refresh the surfaces. This lasted me two years (car always garaged) before I had to start over with clay bar to repeat.

The great thing about the Turtle Wax wax products is you can use it on the grey textured plastic parts as it doesn't leave a residue. Two coats on the plastic front parts and back of mirrors made removing dead bugs easy.

I have always used Meguiars with excellent results - pick the professional Mirror Glazes.

Interesting the mention of Turtle Wax, I never considered it but I was talking to a person who details high end cars like Ferrari, Lambo's, Bentleys, etc. I asked him what he uses, expecting some exotic expensive brands - he said no, I use Turtle Wax. He said he has tried everything and it provides the best results. I really like the results I get with Meguiars but I am going to try Turtle Wax on my next detail.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always used Meguiars with excellent results - pick the professional Mirror Glazes.

Interesting the mention of Turtle Wax, I never considered it but I was talking to a person who details high end cars like Ferrari, Lambo's, Bentleys, etc. I asked him what he uses, expecting some exotic expensive brands - he said no, I use Turtle Wax. He said he has tried everything and it provides the best results. I really like the results I get with Meguiars but I am going to try Turtle Wax on my next detail.

I have tried so many things over the years, and all of them have turned into a career. What I like about the Turtle Wax polish is it's so easy to apply, it doesn't leave a haze, and can be used on plastic parts with no down side and the upside that afterwards stuff comes off very easily. Plus the Turtle Wax paste and liquid polish make for an excellent prime coat and maintenance pair. For the detailer spray I use both Maguiars and Turtle Wax - both serve their purpose and neither seems to have a clear advantage. TW doesn't make a clay bar kit and I believe the one I got last was the Maguiars which included a bottle of the detailer.

I have used Ammo (www.ammonyc.com) cleaning and waxing products with great success. Lots of "how to" detail videos. Any questions I have fielded to them were personally answered by Larry.

I have used Adams products too, I slightly prefer the Ammo products for the outside of the car, but reckon they work out a little more expensive. I tend to use Adam's products for internal detailing though.

Adam's have messed up my order a couple of times (but to be fair always eventually sorted it out, at no additional cost)

On a slightly different topic, If anyone has problems with bug splatter in summer Jax Wax (www.jaxwax.com) make an excellent product called Bugzapper that cleans then of in a few seconds (assuming you are doing a wash imminently)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived