TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Whippled 2016 GT350 Makes 819WHP

Secondo

Perfect way to describe an STI-juvenile! I have always hated those things. Not really much for any of that Asian stuff.

I wouldn't call them juvenile. The hot hatch market is catering to the younger crowd. It's based on the Focus and Fiesta, and these are on the lower scale price wise.

Ok, so you aren't interested in any other class of vehicle. Then why criticize Ford for making only a mustang? Apparently, that's your only demographic, unless we are talking about Acura Shitboxes. Let's leave this to the American market share.

Let see...

Focus ST, Fiesta ST - Nope, never gonna own one of these. This is a car for kids. I have no interest in turbo 4-cylinders, front-wheel drive or boy racer looks.

But what from the three American companies competes?

Focus RS - Ditto here.This is a car for the "Fast and Furious" crowd. I'd consider a Subaru WRX STI or equivalent way before this.

Of course you would, it's not a Mustang. And apparently you really like Japanese automobiles.

Taurus SHO - Do they even still make these? Is this a real question?

If so, why aren't they ever compared to CTS-Vs, etc? Well, this is why I bring up the Continental. You should at least compare class to class.

I'd buy a BMW long before I'd consider one of these anyway. Well, why not right? Maybe you should.

Ford Explorer Sport AND Platinum (but Dodge does have the new Hellcat Jeep) - Considered these and the Grand Cherokee SRT8 in the past. I wouldn't buy this type of car for performance unless it was my ONLY car. I bought an Acura RDX for comfort, reliability instead.

So you buy an Acura RDX, but won't consider the Explorer. Have you even seen or ridden in one? I mean, I don't even know what to say to this. Do you go to Denny's when you want a good steak?

What am I missing? _ oh yeah, the Raptor. And another one on the horizon. - Not a truck guy.

Your not a FORD guy. Let's just call it what it is.

Then there are 4 or 5 more performance vehicles due by 2020. So how is that weak? - Like what?

Well, I could tell you anything here, because you don't even know they still make a SHO.

Lincoln Continental is coming with some surprising performance - Way off topic now

Really? Is it?

I mean, if you want to troll or just disregard Ford because they don't build 3 different variations, expect these kinds of responses. You are free to not like Ford and buy what you want. But I think it's terribly reckless to criticize them for not building more performance vehicles when they are building more than any manufacturer, and probably GM and Dodge combined!

If you want to keep it mustang based, the 2014 GT500 outperformed the hellcat and the ZL1, the GT350 outperforms the Z28, and even the vette and viper, and did you ever expect a Mustang to be named Sports Car of the Year by anyone?

To not give them respect of any kind now just makes a person lose all credibility.

Way to show your maturity level. Anyone that disagrees with you, you just put on your ignore list :clapping::whistling: .

It has been my experience over many years, on various TDBs, that those that immediately disagree and argue with you will continue to do it time and again, This does nothing but waste my time, clutter threads, and since you never change their opinions, and vice versa, it is totally useless to do it.

what i'm getting at is it feels like GM, for example, has several choices for the same type of buyer. in other words, the camaro fits the t-shirt and jeans/"muscle"/street/track crowd. the corvette fits the business casual/"sports car"/street/track crowd and the cts-v fits the suit and tie/"touring"/street/track crowd. there are model variations and options within each but there is a lot of overlap among the core cars.

whereas, ford has basically only the mustang. there is a lot of variation within the mustang, but at the end of the day, it's only one car. the taurus is too family-oriented and sedate to be considered, the focus is too juvenile and the GT is way out of reach.

I understand your point fully. It looks like Lincoln is coming around now, lets hope so. I am not a Caddy fan at all, but you can't deny how far ahead of Lincoln they are when it comes to updating their vehicles. The Continental should help change that especially if Lincoln continues down the same road for the other models. Unfortunately when it comes to performance they still will not compete because they are FWD based cars, Caddy and all the Germans are RWD with AWD options.

It would be great if ford had something to compete with the Corvette and the SS, it would also be great if Lincoln had a car to compete with the CTS-V or even better the BMW M-Series, Mercedes AMG, or Audi S/RS line. I will cross my fingers!!!!

That said if you're into trucks nothing competes with the Raptor at this point and the New Focus RS is light years ahead of anything GM/Chrysler offers in its class.

Edited by carnut12

If my last post seems harsh, keep in mind that posting after midnight for me brings a certain edge to it. Lol

You are absolutely right. What has Lincoln been doing for the past decade other than dress up a Ford engineered product, which only makes Ford tell their people to not do it up too nice, so Lincoln guys have something left to add.

They keep touting the brand as their luxury brand, asking people like us to help promote it, and my response has been clear throughout- sure, build a car, or suv worth promoting, and the popularity takes care of itself.

The continental will have an awd option, FYI. It's a start.

Right, now all they need is a decent engine…………………….. :hysterical:

I know you're not a fan of V-6's, but the New Continental is going to have a 400HP plus Twin Turbo V6, that is a great start in my opinion. Also they aren't allowing it to be used in Fords, at least that is what they are saying right now. Finally they are separating Lincoln a little, it will be interesting to see what they do with the rest of the Money they are investing in Lincoln.

Guest markham51

Not sure where the laughing matter comes from...

The 400HP Lincoln V6 is going to move the Continental from 0-60 in low 5 second range.

All of Wards top 10 engines for 2016 are V6's or V4s ...EXCEPT for Ford's Voodoo V8.

Cadillac's latest CT6 top of the line engine is a Turbo V6 making 400HP just like the new Continental.

GT is a V6.

So laugh all you want, the best production engines in the world are V6 based and Ford continues to lead with it's EcoBoost platform.

My point is NOT that V8's are bad...but that technology has made V6 engines awesome. :shift:

Lincoln has several challenges but I am hoping they can evolve into a premium luxury/performance brand. First, their strategy has been to "luxuriize" standard Ford models, Ford at the same time is offering "platinum" level trims that minimize the gap between Ford and Lincoln models. Hard to justify $10K difference for similar vehicles

Second, Lincoln has the worse naming convention of any maker, who knows what a MKX or MKZ or whatever is?

Third, driving a Lincoln (or Cadillac for that matter) doesn't have the same prestige as driving a Mercedes or BMW, they need to make it special to own and drive, not just a Ford or GM. Lincoln needs it own model(s) that separate themselves from the parent company. Lexus has done it with Toyota with the LS. They also need their performance moniker (AMG, M, R, even Lexus has the F line now).

Guest markham51

Lincoln has several challenges but I am hoping they can evolve into a premium luxury/performance brand. First, their strategy has been to "luxuriize" standard Ford models, Ford at the same time is offering "platinum" level trims that minimize the gap between Ford and Lincoln models. Hard to justify $10K difference for similar vehicles

Second, Lincoln has the worse naming convention of any maker, who knows what a MKX or MKZ or whatever is?

Third, driving a Lincoln (or Cadillac for that matter) doesn't have the same prestige as driving a Mercedes or BMW, they need to make it special to own and drive, not just a Ford or GM. Lincoln needs it own model(s) that separate themselves from the parent company. Lexus has done it with Toyota with the LS. They also need their performance moniker (AMG, M, R, even Lexus has the F line now).

I agree, Lincoln needs to get serious. No more dressed up Fords. That is simply not a competitive strategy.

I love the new Continental and will trade in my MKS the minute they go into production :spend:

i not sure what that even means, but whatever. slapping a supercharger and the requisite plumbing on a car that was purposely engineered without one just seems kinda dumb. like you missed the point and cant leave well enough alone. anyway, i'm personally not fond of the S550 yet. hoping whatever is next will excite me. if not, i'll look for other marques since the Mustang is the only car Ford makes that really appeals to muscle car/sports car fans outside of the unobtainable GT.

... but whatever. slapping a supercharger and the requisite plumbing on a car that was purposely engineered without one just seems kinda dumb. like you missed the point and cant leave well enough alone. anyway ...

That's a little strong statement. The bottom line is that since Ford itself has not yet placed a supercharger for the Voodoo in their Ford Performance parts catalog, it would be wise to question it. In other words, without a baseline from Ford, you don't know what to expect for long term. FRPP add ons have always preserved the factory warranty, so even the big Whipple on the GT500 was not pushing the engine to its upper limit. If Ford doesn't put something out say within the next year, then those with these ought to treat that as a hint. The upper limits of power vs reliability will take a while to show up. And you won't hear it from those vendors.

Like I said earlier: "Change is good, you go first". I prefer to not being Alpha or Beta test any more.

Good luck if you do it.

That's a little strong statement. The bottom line is that since Ford itself has not yet placed a supercharger for the Voodoo in their Ford Performance parts catalog, it would be wise to question it. In other words, without a baseline from Ford, you don't know what to expect for long term. FRPP add ons have always preserved the factory warranty, so even the big Whipple on the GT500 was not pushing the engine to its upper limit. If Ford doesn't put something out say within the next year, then those with these ought to treat that as a hint. The upper limits of power vs reliability will take a while to show up. And you won't hear it from those vendors.

Like I said earlier: "Change is good, you go first". I prefer to not being Alpha or Beta test any more.

Good luck if you do it.

+1

Some guys are worried because its flat-plane crankshaft with unique balance requirements might quickly compromise longevity if a supercharger is installed.

True. And while I would say running 800rwhp is probably not a long term great idea, there is probably a number that doesn't compromise the engine.

With aluminum Pistons, sustained boost of any type will probably be an issue.

Personally there is no chance I would SC this car if I owned it, it's not meant for the drag strip and it's plenty fast for any other type of driving. I don't know why people get so fixated on HP. I would argue that much power would make it less fun to drive everywhere except the drag strip (assuming you will get traction). A recent article noted the new Supersnake had more power then the car could handle, I would bet this would follow that same path. Many recent articles/reviews say the same about the Z06, they state the Z51 is a better driving car. I am not a fan of white knuckle driving, I've been down that road and there is nothing fun about it.

To each their own I guess. If I wanted a drag car I'd choose something else, a 2014 GT500, Hellcat, or Z06 would be a much better buy IMO.

Guest markham51

Personally there is no chance I would SC this car if I owned it, it's not meant for the drag strip and it's plenty fast for any other type of driving. I don't know why people get so fixated on HP. I would argue that much power would make it less fun to drive everywhere except the drag strip (assuming you will get traction). A recent article noted the new Supersnake had more power then the car could handle, I would bet this would follow that same path. Many recent articles/reviews say the same about the Z06, they state the Z51 is a better driving car. I am not a fan of white knuckle driving, I've been down that road and there is nothing fun about it.

To each their own I guess. If I wanted a drag car I'd choose something else, a 2014 GT500, Hellcat, or Z06 would be a much better buy IMO.

+1

I get what you guys are sayin, but if the build could hold 800rwhp, with the added suspension and traction of the 350, it would crush a 2014 gt500. Now, keep in mind the torque isn't near the hp on this, but the gt500 had too much power for its traction. I'd kind of like to see how it compares, purpose built or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad to see the aftermarket working their magic. They rescued the '07-'09 GT500s and others as well. The owners who paid hard earned cash for these car deserve to get the most out of their investments and don't need road racing snobs and other elitist pricks calling them hillbillys for tapping the Voodoo engines true potential. These are muscle cars and should have big balls. 800+ HP sounds good and is for the meat eaters of the world. Buy a damn Boxster or a Gayman if ya wanna be a road course ace. Leave the high horsepower work to the men who can handle it. Some of you guys here are starting to sound like the pussies on 6g who are in a tizzy about the aftermarket transforming the GT350 into a frontline muscle car.

Wow, So let me get this straight, real men don't go 140, 150, 190 down a straight road, brake then turn left and right, then, do it all again?

A real man doesn't talk about "real men" they live it.

Wow, So let me get this straight, real men don't go 140, 150, 190 down a straight road, brake then turn left and right, then, do it all again?

A real man doesn't talk about "real men" they live it.

Well there it is. I certainly stand corrected here. The point I was making in a less than serious fashion was that Pony Cars like the Mustang are much more about big power and muscle than the corner carving road course thing. I've been a huge fan/owner of this type of car for 40 years and have never known a single person who cared about what they would do at Watkins Glenn, Mid America, etc.