TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front brake pads

cbrbear

Ok last year I bought hawk pads which basically destroyed my stock rotors. I have replacement rotors and hawk has pulled any pads for the gt500 recognizing they were not selling the correct fit pads. Other than oem who makes a good street/track day pad? I'm drawing blanks everywhere and need pads.

I've run Hawk HPS on 2 separate GT500's and have several track days using them as well. Neither sets of OEM rotors have been trashed or have warped. The current set (HB616F.607) on the car have 1 track day and about 14k miles...this is the second set on OEM 15" rotors with no warping or machining/turning. The HPS's have worked well for me for a number of years now.

Street compounds (low dust, low noise, long wear, good at low temps) and track compounds (need high heat, stop on a dime, heavy dust, wear quickly and lots of noise) do the opposite things, so finding something 'in-between' is challenging. Hawk and others market aggressive street pads or dual use pads, but you are really losing the 'characteristics' of the pad when you opt for middle ground.

It also depends on how hard to run/slow your car at the track. I started with ceramic pads, moved to dual purpose and finally went with dedicated road course pads as my late braking skills got better and I could tell I was pushing the brake system beyond a certain point.

I've been very happy with Carbotech XP-10 for HPDE track days. They also make a street compound (1521) for 6-piston Brembos and you can switch pads between street and track compounds on the same rotors without needing to resurface. I have not used their street pad myself since I have a dedicated set of rotors for the track. I do run Hawk HPS 5.0 for the street and have been relativity happy, but they just don't cut it on the track for me anymore.

Stock were horrible pads with massive brake fade so i switched them to the hawk's hps. My rotors are thrashed from those pads with 3 track days and a year driving. Hawk has openly admitted the hb616.607's were not the correct pads for our cars as they thought. The leave about 1/4 inch of rotor untouched on inside and outside lips. Because of the high rotor wear i now have significant lios as a result and i havent mic'd the rotors and i know they are thick but a significant amount of rotor is gone which means heat disipation is reduced. I have some brembo 2 piece rotors waiting to go on just need some good pads. I have a set from porterfield racing coming so will see what they do! I do like the idea of having a dedicated set of track rotors along with wheels/tires but that is not quite yet in the budget.

Edited by cbrbear

Interested how you like the Porterfield setup. What compound are you going with? Are you planning to run them on the street? If they are a true 'race pad', I'd expect lots of noise and dust, but they should work great when they warm up.

As far as cost, I did a write up on another forum "Brake Upgrade on a budget" (I believe I get my hand slapped if I link to a 'competitive' forum, but you can google it...). You can easily get front rotors for a reasonable price to match the pads. I wouldn't even worry about the rears. Swapping out the front pads\rotors is a couple hour job on jack-stands with basic hand tool. Just make sure to flush the brake fluid (Motul 600/660 or Castrol SRF) before track runs or you are playing with fire.

At some point, you will probably want a brake cooling kit if you hit the track a few times a year...but that is a for another day.

• 8 months later...

I am confused S to what brake pads to use. As you all have said some have had problems with the Hawk pads and the OEM are very costly so which pads should I go with. I drag race my 2014 Shelby GT500 and do some aggressive driving on the streets so I want a pad that is in between a race and street pad. Any suggestions would be appreciated.. Thank you in advance