TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Track improvements for Bash

Shelby Nick

I had a blast last year tracking my car for the first time at the bash. I thought I would make some improvements for this year though, so here's what I did. Front Shelby Willwood brakes, relocation bracket and rear lower control arms, and adjusted my camber to a -2. I couldn't use the plates because I have the strut tower brace. I am sure there is much more to do, but this will have to do for now. Can't wait!

Nick

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had a good time at the bash and the car handled well at the track for a second timer.I actually got moved up to the intermediate group. I had more confidence in the car, so much that the traction control kept coming on. I could smell the brakes. Maybe next time I'll have the nerve to turn it off.

Nick

I had a good time at the bash and the car handled well at the track for a second timer.I actually got moved up to the intermediate group. I had more confidence in the car, so much that the traction control kept coming on. I could smell the brakes. Maybe next time I'll have the nerve to turn it off.

Nick

It is a big misconception, on cars of your vintage, that the stock traction control will aid you in anyway on the track.

In fact, it is way more dangerous to leave engaged. When you are trying to corner aggressively, it thinks you are out of control and typical applies the rear brakes, which makes it difficult to turn the car.

If you spin with it on, it does absolutely nothing to help you

Nick, I will have to look into the manual on the traction control. Should I be turning it off on the track and do my own thinking?

It states in the owners manual that if you are going to drive the vehicle aggressively then you must turn off the TCS. The TCS will interact with the ABS module when turned on and engage the rear brakes in order to compensate for what it considers an attempt to break traction at the rear wheels. In other words, if you have the TCS on when you putting your foot down on the gas pedal hard then it will send a signal (up to 500 times per second) to the ABS to apply pressure to the rear brakes. It has nothing to do with cornering - there is no yaw sensor tied into the TCS - it simply is there to aid in preventing the rear tires from breaking loose (mostly at launch) . This is triggered by the ABS toner rings and the data that it feeds into the TCS module. In other words - it is like driving your car with the parking brake partially on. Turning off the TCS does not disengage the ABS - pumping the brake pedal can cause a bypass of the ABS feature. Read your owners manual.

JMO

It's OK - this is where you're allowed to say "OH..CRAP!"

Edited by Albino500

Thanks for the info Albino! What really concerned me, with a supercharged car, was coming out of corners and getting on the throttle to hard causing the rear end to come around. I experienced a little of that with the TCS on. For a beginner, I felt like it gave me a little insurance I guess. More time on the track will help. Next time I will have to take the training wheels off for sure!

Nick

It states in the owners manual that if you are going to drive the vehicle aggressively then you must turn off the TCS. The TCS will interact with the ABS module when turned on and engage the rear brakes in order to compensate for what it considers an attempt to break traction at the rear wheels. In other words, if you have the TCS on when you putting your foot down on the gas pedal hard then it will send a signal (up to 500 times per second) to the ABS to apply pressure to the rear brakes. It has nothing to do with cornering - there is no yaw sensor tied into the TCS - it simply is there to aid in preventing the rear tires from breaking loose (mostly at launch) . This is triggered by the ABS toner rings and the data that it feeds into the TCS module. In other words - it is like driving your car with the parking brake partially on. Turning off the TCS does not disengage the ABS - pumping the brake pedal can cause a bypass of the ABS feature. Read your owners manual.

JMO

It's OK - this is where you're allowed to say "OH..CRAP!"

Absolutely. During the racing classes the instructors want you to run with traction and stability as you learn the car and the track. He said something like "make a mental note every time the nannies kick in and just don't do that again". There is a time where that advice is broken though and as we go there he let us turn them off, and like Mike said it turns into "fixing something that ain't broke". At some point you will comfortably "skid" on the turns. Then the nannies were off. In the advanced classes we were allowed to run without from the beginning.

Edited by twobjshelbys

I just checked out the owners and what I found interesting was when the TCS detects wheel spin it automatically applies and releases the rear brakes in conjunction with engine torque reduction. I guess that means it also lets off the throttle?

I just checked out the owners and what I found interesting was when the TCS detects wheel spin it automatically applies and releases the rear brakes in conjunction with engine torque reduction. I guess that means it also lets off the throttle?

Nope, just applies rear brakes. We all learned the hard way, destroyed rear pads in a single day of track.

Turn it off!

Later models, such as the Boss 302 and 13/14 GT500, have much more sophisticated electronic controls. I still prefer to drive these cars with the controls completely defeated

It retards the cam timing as much as 20 degrees on a stock (Shelby GT) tune.

Surprising the things you can find in the owners manual. :read: