TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Value Of 2013 & 2014 Gt500's

denohew

you never know, things change. i obsessed over Lambo/Ferrari as a kid. but i'm far more interested in Shelbys today.

True, I was a Porsche and Mustang kid, still love both. I did like Ferrari/Lambo as well, but they do not do as much for me today. I wouldn't mind a 360 or 430, maybe one of these days. I sold my Porsche to pay for a pool (Actually a full backyard makeover). I much prefer to spend my money on family things now, I have very little time for my cars. I have not detailed my Shelby in 2 years plus, but it does have about 10 coats of Zaino on it already and it only gets driven 2K miles a year so it still looks freshly detailed.

Agreed 100%. Just to add to the subject kids these days, for the most part, can care less about cars. Many kids don't even get a license when they turn the eligible age. To think they will all of a sudden want as old Mustang 15-20 years from now is not realistic. The limited young kids I see into cars like WRX's, GTI's, Civics, and if they have money GTR's. It is very rare I ever see someone under 40 driving any of the current muscle cars. I'm sure some on here are younger, but I would bet the majority are over 40. Corvette owners I would bet average over 50.

I bought my first mustang when I was 20. I had a GTR around 22 - 24 when I lived in Japan. I bought the KR around 32. I have a few kids and they are all mustang crazy. They will be driving Shelbys when they become of age.

I still own my first mustang.

Why is it that people who don't like threads about cars values, appreciation, etc. always want to come on threads like this and be negative towards those of us who would like to believe our car may appreciate. I don't get it... If the title to this thread was "read this and win a new Shelby" I could understand why one might click on and read it. But, when the title is "values of 13/14 GT500's" why, if you don't like threads about values and speculation, bother coming on and interject a negative vib? If I see a thread about mud flaps I don't read it because I am not interested in mud flaps on my Shelby...

Anyway, I guess I am just a poor boy and don't have the luxury of having this who cares what it's worth attitude. Good for you if you can afford to go beat on your expensive Shelby. If I were wealthy, I might take my 80K BOSS 302 out and thrash it like the one I had when I was 17. Maybe I am just strange or frugal but I have always taken a bit of satisfaction out of knowing that my 45 year obsession with cars has never cost me a dime. I have made money on every car I have ever had which includes 2 BOSS 302's, 1 BOSS 429, 3 Cobra Jet Mustangs, and 4 Corvettes. This fact alone is why I have never had any resistance from my wife when I want to buy something. I only wish I had taken her advice a few years ago when she said "why don't you sell the BOSS 302 and buy one of those new Ford GT's". I guess if my 14 isn't worth anything someday I can offset the money lost on the 500 against the money I made on all the rest and still come out okay. Good day!!

It's not about not liking threads about values, it's about those that want cars to appreciate over night as an investment isn't a reality!

Look at Pratte and Miller collections that recently sold at auction, only a few "sold" at or above the initial cost. Over all, these collections ended with a huge loss!

These cars we're made to be driven not sitting collecting dust!

It's not about not liking threads about values, it's about those that want cars to appreciate over night as an investment isn't a reality!

Look at Pratte and Miller collections that recently sold at auction, only a few "sold" at or above the initial cost. Over all, these collections ended with a huge loss!

These cars we're made to be driven not sitting collecting dust!

Exactly, I just read the initial post, it asked about peoples thoughts, it didn't say only post if agree with the OP's opinion. Different strokes for different folks, I would never buy a car to look at it, to me that is an odd thing to do. I drive my cars regardless of what that may do to the future value.

Cars very rarely appreciate more then other much smarter investments. That said I do wish I hung onto my '88 911 Coupe, those are one of the exceptions to the rule. It was built better then any car I have ever owned, back when Porsches were hand built.

I am new to this forum and I hope the value remains high and even goes higher for they are remarkable automobiles and they do have the SHELBY name and stamp approval. I have put 60,000 miles on my 14 vert in 27 months and I know I am commiting financial suicide literally. I don't take it lightly I hate losing money I knew when I bought it and made this decision. But at my age 70+ i ask who am I saving it for as my dad would say. Whenever the three Recaro baby seats are full and my grandchildren are laughing and knowing how cool they look depreciation is not even on the list. Hopefully in a couple of years when it has over 120000+ miles (shutter) some other lucky man will own and love her like I did. Then I will look for another 14 vert to love and start this wonderful money losing habit again. I got a monkey on my back I tell you. lol

Tiger. Nice note. I always tell folks if you want to make money on cars it takes at least 20 years to become collectible then it has to be the right cars like the ,65 gto I just sold. But I would have made more money just investing in the market.but I had lots of fun driving that car. I'm also 70. And I told my wife folks who want this car are dieing off. So who buys it a ,68.year old guy. And all thuse classic buicks from the 30s that were bringing big bucks 10 years ago,can't even give them away now

Tiger. Nice note. I always tell folks if you want to make money on cars it takes at least 20 years to become collectible then it has to be the right cars like the ,65 gto I just sold. But I would have made more money just investing in the market.but I had lots of fun driving that car. I'm also 70. And I told my wife folks who want this car are dieing off. So who buys it a ,68.year old guy. And all thuse classic buicks from the 30s that were bringing big bucks 10 years ago,can't even give them away now

Thanks Torched I still have my Sunbeam Tiger Mark II that I have had for decades waiting for its completion. I bought this monster to fill the time until the tiger was completed. When I do get it back I will sell it and let some else enjoy it I love this car.

I am new to this forum and I hope the value remains high and even goes higher for they are remarkable automobiles and they do have the SHELBY name and stamp approval. I have put 60,000 miles on my 14 vert in 27 months and I know I am commiting financial suicide literally. I don't take it lightly I hate losing money I knew when I bought it and made this decision. But at my age 70+ i ask who am I saving it for as my dad would say. Whenever the three Recaro baby seats are full and my grandchildren are laughing and knowing how cool they look depreciation is not even on the list. Hopefully in a couple of years when it has over 120000+ miles (shutter) some other lucky man will own and love her like I did. Then I will look for another 14 vert to love and start this wonderful money losing habit again. I got a monkey on my back I tell you. lol

Seems we're like minded on this. 'Only' have 52K miles on my 13 and plan on seeing >100K in the next three years or so. By the time my estate sells off the car, I'm sure that my car will lower the market the same as the funky, rundown house down the street does to everyone else's property values. To the rest of you, I apologize for screwing up your investment plans. To those who are driving the wheels off the car, I salute you!

Seems we're like minded on this. 'Only' have 52K miles on my 13 and plan on seeing >100K in the next three years or so. By the time my estate sells off the car, I'm sure that my car will lower the market the same as the funky, rundown house down the street does to everyone else's property values. To the rest of you, I apologize for screwing up your investment plans. To those who are driving the wheels off the car, I salute you!

You have a great way with words.

Agreed 100%. Just to add to the subject kids these days, for the most part, can care less about cars. Many kids don't even get a license when they turn the eligible age. To think they will all of a sudden want as old Mustang 15-20 years from now is not realistic. The limited young kids I see into cars like WRX's, GTI's, Civics, and if they have money GTR's. It is very rare I ever see someone under 40 driving any of the current muscle cars. I'm sure some on here are younger, but I would bet the majority are over 40. Corvette owners I would bet average over 50.

Myself and 3 other friends are all GT500 owners and we're under 30. I believe what you see on the road and who drives them is correlated to where you live. Here in CA any model Shelby can be used on a daily basis year round.

I have no allusions that this car will be worth 2 or 3 times what I paid for it, at least in my lifetime. I think it depends a lot on where someone is in life too. If I were 30 years old I would be dreaming up ways to get in the seat. Take the kids to school sure..take the kids to ball practice.. whatever you need from the grocery I am there honey.

The sad truth is I'll be 62 a week from today and just don't get that big of a thrill doing anything anymore...However, driving 662 HP is about at the top of my thrill list but there is always something getting in the way. 5 acres of yard to mow, grandkids on the weekends, you get the picture.

If this car is worth within 10K of sticker when it's 10 years old in 2024 I will be a happy camper and feel like I got my moneys worth. Conversely, if it's worth 10K in 8 more years I'll be thinking I could have spent 60K more wisely elsewhere and should have just lived with the old muscle cars I have. Boss cars and Cobra Jets are pretty fast to an old man...

Furthermore, guys like Ron Pratte could car less if they make a profit. If he loses money on a car it's a write off. He probably figures he would rather see the next owner get a good deal than have to pay more taxes to Uncle Sam.

Edited by blk12svt

I agree with you about younger people not seeming to be into performance cars the way I was at their age (I'm 41). However I did spot a super clean 93 fox body Mustang GT in the gym parking lot last week and was admiring it when the owner walked up, a local high school student. It gave me hope for the muscle car future.

Keep in mind that the total production of the Ford GT500 was over 47,000 units (2007-2014) and the Ford GT production was a little over 4000 units during its short years. The GT has more exotic car glamor demand even though there is more HP out of the 13-14 GT500. The earlier model GT500 is dropping well below the original MSRP. However, the 13-14 years are still doing better because of the refinement in power, drivetrain and suspension. Bottom line is to enjoy the ride until you find something better that gets you excited. The Boss cars were holding a good value until the new GT350 came out. Now there is a glut of Boss ponies on the market and prices are dropping.

If anyone has a 2013 to 2014 like I do don't forget we have the 5.8 L motor that we may not see anymore and we have the most horse power between the 5.0, 5.4 motors. Not only that we have more Options in Suspension, Motor goodies and oil coolers etc. Of course the frame platform has been changed to name a few things that will bring more money down the road.

If anyone has a 2013 to 2014 like I do don't forget we have the 5.8 L motor that we may not see anymore and we have the most horse power between the 5.0, 5.4 motors. Not only that we have more Options in Suspension, Motor goodies and oil coolers etc. Of course the frame platform has been changed to name a few things that will bring more money down the road.

many 07+ 5.4 Super Snakes have way more HP than the OEM 5.8, not to mention anyone who have modded their 07-12 cars (which is almost everyone). additionally, the latest bunch of 5.0 based cars, including Roush are coming with supercharger upgrades rated at 670hp+ so that 664 isn't all that impressive anymore. that performance gap (total performance, not just peak HP) will only grow as technology evolves. eventually, however, these cars will be enough of a novelty for other reasons so as to make them desirable once again. that said, i wouldn't hold your breath for that to happen anytime soon. for the foreseeable future, it looks like the latest models will continue to capture the majority of the markets attention.

Edited by 2007red40thGT500

many 07+ 5.4 Super Snakes have way more HP than the OEM 5.8, not to mention anyone who have modded their 07-12 cars (which is almost everyone). additionally, the latest bunch of 5.0 based cars, including Roush are coming with supercharger upgrades rated at 670hp+ so that 664 isn't all that impressive anymore. that performance gap (total performance, not just peak HP) will only grow as technology evolves. eventually, however, these cars will be enough of a novelty for other reasons so as to make them desirable once again. that said, i wouldn't hold your breath for that to happen anytime soon. for the foreseeable future, it looks like the latest models will continue to capture the majority of the markets attention.So your comparing

So your comparing modified numbers to stock numbers and then dismissing the stock numbers because they are close? WOW.....You really are on another planet!

yes. yes, i am.

it's an accurate representation of what buyers have to choose from and the topic of this thread is about the value of the '13/14 GT500s. since i was a potential buyer and drove a '14 GT500 (among other years), a while back, my perspective is valid.

my impression of that car was that, while it is the most "complete" GT500 from the factory, it still needed work in the area of appearance, stance, traction, handling, braking. i'd have not been satisfied as is. i'd swap to 3.73 gears, add shifter, change wheels/tires, add grill, at a minimum. i probably wouldnt stop there and end up with lowering springs, watts link, heat exchanger, high-flow cats and who knows what else. so for that reason i decided against it. i suspect there are others out there who would agree given there are so many special edition Mustangs on the market, Shelby's included.

my point is the 5.8 is not the absolute pinnacle. value is a function of many things and cant be distilled down to one thing... like engine dispacement or even peak HP, for example.

Edited by 2007red40thGT500

many 07+ 5.4 Super Snakes have way more HP than the OEM 5.8, not to mention anyone who have modded their 07-12 cars (which is almost everyone). additionally, the latest bunch of 5.0 based cars, including Roush are coming with supercharger upgrades rated at 670hp+ so that 664 isn't all that impressive anymore. that performance gap (total performance, not just peak HP) will only grow as technology evolves. eventually, however, these cars will be enough of a novelty for other reasons so as to make them desirable once again. that said, i wouldn't hold your breath for that to happen anytime soon. for the foreseeable future, it looks like the latest models will continue to capture the majority of the markets attention.

If you bring a car like a Super Snake into the discussion, then it also has to be mentioned that 662hp is entry level for a 2013/14 5.8 Super Snake and 800/850 are the top tier cars.

I agree that the 2013/14's are the top dog GT500's for the S197 era, but I also believe that the body style changes and advancements will be where the market will divide, 2007-2009, 2010, 2011/12 and 2013/14. Just like the classic Mustangs and their followings, it doesn't matter how much better or more powerful a 1967/68 top tier Mustang was/is, the guys who like the 1964.5-1966's better will buy the earlier cars. The guys who like the 1969/70's will buy those cars no matter how cool a 1967/68 is, and the guys who like the 1967/68's will not be looking before, or after those two years..............and I don't want to forget the 1971-73's..........

The future buyer who prefers the 2007-2009 body style will gravitate to those 07-09 cars, and the top performers of that 2007-2009 time period. The future buyers who like the 2010-up body style will first look at the differences between the 2010, 2011/12 and 2013/14 and then narrow down a specific car for purchase, and the top performance/optioned models will bring the largest $$$.

Some people will want a Ford assy. line car, and some will want the "over the top" performance that Shelby offered, well beyond what the Ford assy. line offered. <<<The "biggest stick", and the biggest stick cars will bring the biggest $$$ when future buyers are at a point in life to buy their "dream cars".

R

Edited by Robert M

So your comparing modified numbers to stock numbers and then dismissing the stock numbers because they are close? WOW.....You really are on another planet!

Yes but which planet is he from?

If you bring a car like a Super Snake into the discussion, then it also has to be mentioned that 662hp is entry level for a 2013/14 5.8 Super Snake and 800/850 are the top tier cars.

I agree that the 2013/14's are the top dog GT500's for the S197 era, but I also believe that the body style changes and advancements will be where the market will divide, 2007-2009, 2010, 2011/12 and 2013/14. Just like the classic Mustangs and their followings, it doesn't matter how much better or more powerful a 1967/68 top tier Mustang was/is, the guys who like the 1964.5-1966's better will buy the earlier cars. The guys who like the 1969/70's will buy those cars no matter how cool a 1967/68 is, and the guys who like the 1967/68's will not be looking before, or after those two years..............and I don't want to forget the 1971-73's..........

The future buyer who prefers the 2007-2009 body style will gravitate to those 07-09 cars, and the top performers of that 2007-2009 time period. The future buyers who like the 2010-up body style will first look at the differences between the 2010, 2011/12 and 2013/14 and then narrow down a specific car for purchase, and the top performance/optioned models will bring the largest $$$.

Some people will want a Ford assy. line car, and some will want the "over the top" performance that Shelby offered, well beyond what the Ford assy. line offered. <<<The "biggest stick", and the biggest stick cars will bring the biggest $$$ when future buyers are at a point in life to buy their "dream cars".

R

I have to agree with Robert and no I'm not from another planet, but I didn't explain myself well enough when I started with my comment. Their is going to be a lot of factors when it comes down to resale which I'm not interested in since I bought it to keep and drive. I had gone down to Ford to have my Excursion worked on and saw a new 2014 Shelby GT 500 with every option you could buy on it with 662 hp rating, I have never bought a new vehicle from the show room or lot because it seems you always don't get what you want or get screwed but not this time. I drove it around the block and down the freeway and had to have it so I bought it on the spot then told them to ship it down to Shelby. In which we had talked with them and told them to build a Super Snake Wide Body with all the suspension upgrades, Kenny Bell Supercharger with 850 hp rating Wow! I sent in down to them on Nov. 2013 and got it back on Nov. 2014 yep it took a year for the Wide Body Option. I was 109th in Line for the Wide Body work and as I told them I'm glad that I'm older because I would not have been able to wait that long. So I guess it depends on if you want a Shelby GT 500, GT 500 Super Snake, GT 500 SS with the Wide Body and not to forget 6 speed manual transmission which appears to be no longer available, but the MSRP is about the same and options.

yes. yes, i am.

it's an accurate representation of what buyers have to choose from and the topic of this thread is about the value of the '13/14 GT500s. since i was a potential buyer and drove a '14 GT500 (among other years), a while back, my perspective is valid.

my impression of that car was that, while it is the most "complete" GT500 from the factory, it still needed work in the area of appearance, stance, traction, handling, braking. i'd have not been satisfied as is. i'd swap to 3.73 gears, add shifter, change wheels/tires, add grill, at a minimum. i probably wouldnt stop there and end up with lowering springs, watts link, heat exchanger, high-flow cats and who knows what else. so for that reason i decided against it. i suspect there are others out there who would agree given there are so many special edition Mustangs on the market, Shelby's included.

my point is the 5.8 is not the absolute pinnacle. value is a function of many things and cant be distilled down to one thing... like engine dispacement or even peak HP, for example.

What? Needs work on appearance, stance? Now we understand the other planet

Blah! Blah! Blah! The 670 hp Roush Car only gets 530 lb/ft. torque as compared to the 631 churned out OEM by the 5.8 Beast. The car is simply built better than the (yeah! even your 5.4L Super Snake as far as durability is concerned) car models you're tossing out there.Efficiency, Durability to last and overall a better milled (stock engine) will supercede it's competitors for sure. 2014 Shelby SVT TP/PP GT-500 Rules. Get Sum!!. :-).

Again we compare 5.4 upgrades to stock 5.8 having more? Well then compare 5.4 upgrades with a 5.8 upgrades. When you get down to racing in a straight line it's hard to beat cubic inches or liters, because that's what makes horse power and torque. I have a 2014 Super Snake 850 hp and with 12 inches of rubber on the ground it's hard to keep it from braking loose, I guess I may need some Goodyear ripple walls with 6 pounds of air , I bet a lot of the younger generation hasn't heard of those?

And there is the Shelby 1000 to consider as the top tier.

I guess it would come down to the "Battle of the Titans" with the 1000HP optioned Super Snake.............

007_zpskxyvvmri.jpg

001_zps30hch6ez.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^The HP output of a 2013/14 GT500, plus a 2015/16 5.0 put together minus a few HP!!!! The "Top Tier"............for now...........

As listed above, this option is for all of the S197 GT500's 2007-2014.

............................and I think (but am not positive) that there has been some mention of 1100HP and 1200HP Super Snakes optioned from Shelby..............don't quote me on that. I have only seen 1000HP documentation as shown above.

R

Edited by Robert M