TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Value Of 2013 & 2014 Gt500's

denohew

Any thoughts on the value of these monsters in, let's say 10 years? With low mileage. Seeing as how the original Shelby's with the big monster 428's and 429's are going for the big bucks, doesn't anyone agree with me that the 2013 and 2014 with the big ( 662 HP ) blower factory motors ( which in my opinion ) we will never see again, with the desired live axle ( which we will NEVER see again ) that true drag/horsepower people love will stop depreciating and start appreciating? I mean the Ford GT is over double the price now and even though it is apples to oranges, at some point the fruit ( in my opinion ) will start to meld. Lots of these cars have high milage now and who knows how many are totaled since they are quite a handful to keep it a straight line. Just a thought. denohew

I really think and hope your analysis is correct. These Monsters are surely due to get the proper respect (appreciation) they deserve. I just love all 735 fwhp this muscle of a car produce.

Denohew: I'm with you on hoping that the value of our 2013 & 2014 GT500s will do well over time. The trend is definitely toward smaller Euro-style engines, and the new '15/'16 Mustang isn't what I'd consider a USA Muscle Car. The odd thing to me is that I THINK the Europeans want American Muscle Cars, not more of what is already available to them.

At the same time, the advice to "drive it, and enjoy it" is good advice too. I plan on putting about 2,000 miles per year on my 2014 to keep the value up, and still enjoy it. No cross-country trips in it for me!

Oh man, sorry to hear you sold your Ford GT before the prices went crazy. We have a guy locally that brings his to car shows with a "For Sale" sign on it. He wants $500k, but I saw two of them go for $300k ea on Barrett Jackson this past weekend.

Let's enjoy our true American Muscle cars and keep our fingers crossed that they hold their value well.

Keep in mind that the total production of the Ford GT500 was over 47,000 units (2007-2014) and the Ford GT production was a little over 4000 units during its short years. The GT has more exotic car glamor demand even though there is more HP out of the 13-14 GT500. The earlier model GT500 is dropping well below the original MSRP. However, the 13-14 years are still doing better because of the refinement in power, drivetrain and suspension. Bottom line is to enjoy the ride until you find something better that gets you excited. The Boss cars were holding a good value until the new GT350 came out. Now there is a glut of Boss ponies on the market and prices are dropping.

Keep in mind that the total production of the Ford GT500 was over 47,000 units (2007-2014) and the Ford GT production was a little over 4000 units during its short years. The GT has more exotic car glamor demand even though there is more HP out of the 13-14 GT500. The earlier model GT500 is dropping well below the original MSRP. However, the 13-14 years are still doing better because of the refinement in power, drivetrain and suspension. Bottom line is to enjoy the ride until you find something better that gets you excited. The Boss cars were holding a good value until the new GT350 came out. Now there is a glut of Boss ponies on the market and prices are dropping.

Keep in mind only '13(4885) and '14(5730) were built.

Keep in mind only '13(4885) and '14(5730) were built.

Yea Cobra99, that is the total number I am looking at. So a little over 10,000 were built for MY 13 and 14. Now let's separate the hardtops and verts and colors and then the collectors. I am sure there are hundreds probably being held with no miles by collectors. All that being said I don't run across many GT 500's on the road anymore. Used to see them all the time.

The earlier model GT500 is dropping well below the original MSRP. However, the 13-14 years are still doing better because of the refinement in power, drivetrain and suspension.

Or could it be that the 07 is 9 years old and the 14 is only 2 years old. That seems more likely to me.

Hopefully no one will take offense at my opinion but since you asked. There is always going to be the guys that say they will never be worth anything just drive the wheels off of them. I have a 2014 GT500 and there are a fair amount of us, me included, who believe that the 13/14's are and will be the high water mark in the Mustang world for years, maybe decades, to come. I've heard the rumor there is a new GT500 coming in 17?18? that will eclipse the 13/14 but if not I think we're pretty safe with our "investments". If the new 500 turns out to be a 750HP twin turbo 6 banger I still feel safe with my investment as I think there will still be a strong market for a V8.

I bought a used 1970 BOSS 302 in 1971 for $2200. In 1980 I put the car up for sale at $7000 as that was about the going rate at the time for what I had. So, given the BOSS cost $3700 new it had basically doubled in price in 10 years. The stats on the BOSS versus the 13/14 Shelby are similar. Two year run and 8642 total BOSS 302's sold compared to 10595 Shelbys. I doubt the 13/14 will double in price in 10 years but if it's still worth even msrp I will be tickled to death.

No one knows what is going to drive prices someday. Who would have thought a BOSS 429 would be worth 300K today. Certainly not me or I wouldn't have sold my Grabber Orange BOSS 9 for $8500 back in 1982. Back then they were just another performance Mustang worth only 25-30% more than a BOSS 302. To me the BOSS 9 and 13/14 Shelby are similar in their appeal. Another two year run and under the hood lies an engine that is awe inspiring just to look at.

I don't think time will be as kind to the new GT350 though. I would love to have one but if they are going to build 5000+ a year for 6 years like the 07-12 Shelby then I don't think the appreciation thing will be good for them and I'll be one of those guys saying just drive the wheels off of them. That's what I plan to do if I get one.

It's been 10 years since the very limited production GT-H (only 500 made) coupes were built in 2006. They are difficult to sell even at $30K! Look at the KRs - $45-50K only.... I think these 2 cars have the high exclusivity and special tie in to Ford/Shelby history.

Hopefully no one will take offense at my opinion but since you asked. There is always going to be the guys that say they will never be worth anything just drive the wheels off of them. I have a 2014 GT500 and there are a fair amount of us, me included, who believe that the 13/14's are and will be the high water mark in the Mustang world for years, maybe decades, to come. I've heard the rumor there is a new GT500 coming in 17?18? that will eclipse the 13/14 but if not I think we're pretty safe with our "investments". If the new 500 turns out to be a 750HP twin turbo 6 banger I still feel safe with my investment as I think there will still be a strong market for a V8.

I bought a used 1970 BOSS 302 in 1971 for $2200. In 1980 I put the car up for sale at $7000 as that was about the going rate at the time for what I had. So, given the BOSS cost $3700 new it had basically doubled in price in 10 years. The stats on the BOSS versus the 13/14 Shelby are similar. Two year run and 8642 total BOSS 302's sold compared to 10595 Shelbys. I doubt the 13/14 will double in price in 10 years but if it's still worth even msrp I will be tickled to death.

No one knows what is going to drive prices someday. Who would have thought a BOSS 429 would be worth 300K today. Certainly not me or I wouldn't have sold my Grabber Orange BOSS 9 for $8500 back in 1982. Back then they were just another performance Mustang worth only 25-30% more than a BOSS 302. To me the BOSS 9 and 13/14 Shelby are similar in their appeal. Another two year run and under the hood lies an engine that is awe inspiring just to look at.

I don't think time will be as kind to the new GT350 though. I would love to have one but if they are going to build 5000+ a year for 6 years like the 07-12 Shelby then I don't think the appreciation thing will be good for them and I'll be one of those guys saying just drive the wheels off of them. That's what I plan to do if I get one.

The GT-H and the KR'S were sent to Shelby for finish out. I believe. Now I have personal experiance with the Super Snake and I will tell you this. The cars that go thru Shelby in Vegas don't have the reputation as being well, let's say " of excellent build out or quality " . Yes they have the "true" Shelby stamp on them but as I said they have some issues. The KR is no different. When the 13 and 14's came out, boy it let the wind out of the KR owners sails! Sad but true. Suddenly FORD built, from the factory , a car that blew the KR out of the water. Both in build quality and horsepower and reliable horsepower. Anybody know of any 13 or 14 Shelby's that have blown there motors? With zero mods? I haven't although I am sure there have been at least a few?? I don't know that for sure. Have seen one SS in Texas that exploded shortly after it came back from Vegas. That was an 850hp Super Snake. The hoods warp and turn all kind of crazy colors. Not to mention all of the other "little" problems that arose from the transformation. Other than a occasional clutch and that 1-2 shift problem, which only happened on my 2012, I really haven't seen or heard of any other catastrophic failures from the "factory". denohew

bulk12svt You hit the nail on the head. The 2013 and 14's are the next Boss 429's!! Just don't remove the strut tower brace!! denohew

I know I am going to ruffle some feathers with this post but please be kind to me!! Let the truth set you free!!!

Edited by denohew

Good back and forth here guys....so let me throw in my 2 cents. I bought my 2014 for a few reasons... #1. I was tired of wrenching on

older Corvettes & 911's (sold them all) #2. The 13/14 GT500 in my opinion is the last true American muscle car, some will argue that the Hellcat holds that moniker but not me. #3. Probably the most important, heritage. The 13 & 14's were the last production run that the man himself had a say so in developing, they have his DNA built in, pure and simple. Now, I'm not saying that any Shelby's from 2105 and forward are not the real deal as far as ass kicking, pavement pounders..... but if you purchase a print of a Picasso, while technically

it's still a Picasso....it's not.

There will always be buyers for original, low mileage, well maintained, true Shelby's. For that reason I can see the 13/14's holding their own as far as future value.

I drive my car whenever I can (that's what it's for) except for rain and I will put on @ 2000 miles a season between car shows and Sunday drives. Do I think I'll recoup my 70K in 10 years....not likely. I'm not concerned about value going forward.

Cheers

Jay

It's all supply and demand, the GT-40 went for well under MSRP before they sold them all due to the economy, at that same time houses in many areas were half price. Since then we have pumped so much money into the economy the DOW has more then doubled, demand went up significantly for the GT-40, but no one was selling. Prices went up year after year. Unfortunately you sold in 2007, there were still New ones available around that time, maybe late 2006, and they were less then MSRP.

I don't think a comparison to that with any year GT500 is relevant. The closest might be the Supersnakes, but even those IMO will never have the demand the GT-40 had for the past few years.

To call any of these cars an Investment to me is very foolish, unless you mean an investment in your personal enjoyment.

Enjoy your car, if it does go up in value it will be 15-20 years from now, and that will be after it continues to go down in value first.

Good conversation and differences of opinions!!

Pour me another glass of koolaid and let me throw this out for debate. I figured it wouldn't be long before someone brought up the fact that you can take an 07-12 and with mods make more HP than a 13/14. I see these type threads repeatedly where someone is always asking "should I trade my early Shelby in on a 13/14?" and there is always a chorus of people saying don't waste your money you can mod your whatever and outrun a 13/14. Of course the 13/14 folks are always saying do it.

But, being the old guy that I am I tend to always make a comparison to something old and the analogy that always comes to mind is the 69 390 Mach 1. All things being equal, condition wise, a 390 Mach is worth a little more than half of what a 428 Mach 1 is. Aside from the cubic inch difference a 390 and 428 are basically the same engine, kind of like the 5.4 and 5.8. Sure you can mod a 390 and outrun a stock 428 but at the end of the day what you have is a modded 390 and not a 428. Just saying...

yeah, i get it. everybody will have their personal favorites. but that's all they are... personal opinions. you could also construct the argument that the 13/14 models came out after Carroll passed. it was the last he personally lived to witness, but was he more involved with the development of the earlier model years? specifically the KRs as a pinnacle for the GT500? being the only pre-title, SAI car carries more "provenance" than the final year model from Ford. just saying, there's many ways to look at it. obviously, for me, the 2007 model year is significant and coupled with an SAI package makes it even more special (to me anyway). since we are all potential buyers it's clear that the ultimate incarnation is simply a matter of personal preference. hopefully, they will all increase (or retain) their value over time. we'll see what happens. for now, i'm confident my car is more capable than an off-the-shelf 13/14 so it warrants mentioning in conversations like these.

Edited by 2007red40thGT500

The 13-14 GT500s were the cars that got the least mods because there really wasn't much that could be done to them over the factory. Truly the best was saved til last. But to think that in 10 years one will double or triple in value is trying to imprint the Ford GT onto the Mustang. Forget it - the GT was a fluke. I wouldn't really hold my breath that in the end after 5 years they will even depreciate proportionally less than the 11-12. We'll see but my crystal ball and 8-ball don't predict funding a retirement program.

The 5.8 has slightly more potential than the 5.4 but they are both spectacular engines. The '13-'14 is at the top of the GT500 years in regards to refinement which will hold weight in the future for its value. The Ford GT is the only car that soon appreciated in value after production to which can't be compared to any other car.

Edited by Secondo

The 13-14 GT500s were the cars that got the least mods because there really wasn't much that could be done to them over the factory. Truly the best was saved til last. But to think that in 10 years one will double or triple in value is trying to imprint the Ford GT onto the Mustang. Forget it - the GT was a fluke. I wouldn't really hold my breath that in the end after 5 years they will even depreciate proportionally less than the 11-12. We'll see but my crystal ball and 8-ball don't predict funding a retirement program.

I don't think the discussion is about doubling or tripling its value but keeping deprecation down. The value depends on if a car of this caliper gets excelled by a newer model. The reason why the GT did so well there wasn't a newer version to excel the current model....until now!

All Shelby's are awesome in their own ways and beauty is in the eye of the beholder but so far the 13-14 GT500 are the stock horse power king and yes a modified 07-12 GT500 can match those numbers .... Now put that same money into a 13-14 GT500 and it is a different conversation but just like the Ford GT I have heard of issues with the 13-14 GT500 and warranty / parts replacement shortage and this like the Ford GT may hurt the value in the future and have people not wanting the hassle.

Uggg, another thread on car as an investment! My Shelby's are an investment in my smiles per gallon.

Agreed 100%. Just to add to the subject kids these days, for the most part, can care less about cars. Many kids don't even get a license when they turn the eligible age. To think they will all of a sudden want as old Mustang 15-20 years from now is not realistic. The limited young kids I see into cars like WRX's, GTI's, Civics, and if they have money GTR's. It is very rare I ever see someone under 40 driving any of the current muscle cars. I'm sure some on here are younger, but I would bet the majority are over 40. Corvette owners I would bet average over 50.

Agreed 100%. Just to add to the subject kids these days, for the most part, can care less about cars. Many kids don't even get a license when they turn the eligible age. To think they will all of a sudden want as old Mustang 15-20 years from now is not realistic. The limited young kids I see into cars like WRX's, GTI's, Civics, and if they have money GTR's. It is very rare I ever see someone under 40 driving any of the current muscle cars. I'm sure some on here are younger, but I would bet the majority are over 40. Corvette owners I would bet average over 50.

you never know, things change. i obsessed over Lambo/Ferrari as a kid. but i'm far more interested in Shelbys today.

Edited by 2007red40thGT500