TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT350 dealer mark up backlash

This thread is better than a $15 ticket to the AMC theatre! :hysterical:

An AMC movie ticket is $13.69, you are quoting $15.00, ……. that is an approximate ADM of 10%. How dare you!?!??.......quick ADM podpeople snatch this human……..

Invasion-of-the-Body-Snatchers-1.jpg

We're not talking about the current auto industry's sales slump here, (not including china) but my comment was directed at someone comparing GT350 prices to Corvettes which is like comparing apples and oranges. How many Vettes are for sale country wide? My point is, the market dictates the prices, hence the ADMs on the Shelbys and thousands off of the MSRPs on the Corvettes. I also don't see people lining up to buy the new green kermit-the-frog Mercedes, probably why there's no ADM on it. But just wait until the new high-HP, high-ADM Mustang is revealed!

:thumbsup:

:victory:

My experience with ADMs. Ordered a 14 C7 on 9/13 first one delivered in the area. No adm and $1700 discount using the GM card credit. Tried to buy a 07 GT500 In 07 no way adm's were crazy. Tried to buy a 09 KR no way ADMs. Tried to buy a 05 Ford GT no way ADMs. New camaro come out in 2016 2SS. No adms. New camaro ZL 1 first one @ dealer no adm. New Shelby GT350 ADMs everywhere. I've bought both Ford and GM products and have never been quoted an adm on chevys. Ford is the total opposite. Even the new thunderbird had ADMs.

It's not supply and demand it's the dealers attitude about a new product. In the Atlanta area it's a monopoly within Ford dealers to keep the prices up. GM dealers don't have this attitude it's just that simple. The current market is over saturated with sports cars and sedans. The car companies are shutting down production over the summer to handle the over supply of cars on dealer lots. This is supply and demand. The market is weak now because gas prices are low and people once again are buying suv's vs sedans and coupes. Even over @ BMW no ADMs on first year new models. The i8 no adms.

Edited by mach 1 1970

There were ADMs on 2005 Mustang GT's too. Why? Because everyone wanted one, even my Chevy buddies. GT500's, Ford GT's, who didn't want one? There were no competition. I don't see that kind of enthusiasm for any other vehicle. It may be the dealers but the evidence points to the market. Demand is soft right now for all makes, and that's not what we're talking about here.

Car companies shut down during every summer for the model year changeover-nothing to do with supply/demand.

Right now they are going through 'build-out' for the 2017 model year-happens every year.

This combined with low car sales has resulted in car rebates; rebates are designed to reduce inventory.

As mentioned in an earlier post; the Ford Factory has no control over dealers using ADM.

In the Atlanta area it's a monopoly within Ford dealers to keep the prices up.

Looking forward to reading about the GA AG filing suit against them for collusion and restraint of trade.

When I was a Ford Field Mgr in LA in the mid 1980's dealers used ADM for the new Turbo T Bird and the 6cy Taurus.

After 60/90 days a car goes off dealer floor plan and a dealer starts paying interest on the loan amount.

With money being cheap the last few years we are seeing ADM staying on cars longer.

No one is 'forced' to pay ADM prices. Supply and demand lives on.

I'm quoting from an article this morning saying auto sales are in a slump and closing plants is necessary. It did say that summer months does have shut downs but this is more a extreme measure that must be taken. This isn't my opinion. The corvette price comparison was the new grand sport vs the Shelby GT350/350R which is cross shopping to a degree.

Must people that I know don't pay ADMs. I didn't pay one on the FordGT that I purchased new. I've never paid one and NEVER will. You are spot on that's it's a choice.

It's kind of funny you mention the 05 mustang GT. I did buy one in October of 2004 and used the Z plan for one sitting in the showroom. That car got so much attention on the street almost as much as the C7 and Ford GT . These cars were show stoppers when they first came out. People would get out of their cars in parking lots to get a close up look. Stop you on the street to get a look. Crazy attention that I didn't expect.

Edited by mach 1 1970

Car companies shut down during every summer for the model year changeover-nothing to do with supply/demand.

Right now they are going through 'build-out' for the 2017 model year-happens every year.

This combined with low car sales has resulted in car rebates; rebates are designed to reduce inventory.

As mentioned in an earlier post; the Ford Factory has no control over dealers using ADM.

Looking forward to reading about the GA AG filing suit against them for collusion and restraint of trade.

When I was a Ford Field Mgr in LA in the mid 1980's dealers used ADM for the new Turbo T Bird and the 6cy Taurus.

After 60/90 days a car goes off dealer floor plan and a dealer starts paying interest on the loan amount.

With money being cheap the last few years we are seeing ADM staying on cars longer.

No one is 'forced' to pay ADM prices. Supply and demand lives on.

Plus one and Well stated.

We're not talking about the current auto industry's sales slump here, (not including china) but my comment was directed at someone comparing GT350 prices to Corvettes which is like comparing apples and oranges. How many Vettes are for sale country wide? My point is, the market dictates the prices, hence the ADMs on the Shelbys and thousands off of the MSRPs on the Corvettes. I also don't see people lining up to buy the new green kermit-the-frog Mercedes, probably why there's no ADM on it. But just wait until the new high-HP, high-ADM Mustang is revealed!

:victory:

You are right you can't compare performance numbers for a sports car vs a pony car because it is apple and oranges. Shelby GT 350R VS Camaro ZL1 would be more appropriate. Both cars sticker for almost the same. IMO I don't like the looks of the Camaro front end and roof line.

Back on topic ADM problems for dealers.

Edited by mach 1 1970

Some of you uh..hmmmm...elder gents, will remember the PT Cruiser, the very first Miata (circa 1989), and even the Dodge Stealths.... ADM's on some unsuspecting cars. It's NOTHING BUT SUPPLY AND DEMAND.....PLAIN AND SIMPLE. END OF CONVERSATION....

:backtotopic:

Edit - SPelLeEnG

Edited by BIKEBOY

On topic .....The backlash to these dealers are some people are not willing to buy from these dealers in the future. Just that simple. I've had a few ford dealers tell me they don't believe in ADMs. I've bought from them and will continue to do so. One is 60 miles outside the Atlanta area. One is a local dealer that sells to loyal customers. The rest I don't bother with anymore.

Edited by mach 1 1970

You are right you can't compare performance numbers for a sports car vs a pony car because it is apple and oranges. Shelby GT 350R VS Camaro ZL1 would be more appropriate. Both cars sticker for almost the same. IMO I don't like the looks of the Camaro front end and roof line.

Back on topic ADM problems for dealers.

+1 Not fond of the new Camaro's looks either and I think I've only saw one on the road since they were released. Maybe that's another reason other than the current sales slump why their sales are low.

I will assert that the demand is only marginally over supply, otherwise vehicles with exorbitant ADMs wouldn't sit in dealer showrooms for 4 or 5 months.

Possibly, agreed, you mean like the KR's they tried selling for $130k that sat for a few years collecting dust in the showrooms? People aren't that foolish.

Possibly, agreed, you mean like the KR's they tried selling for $130k that sat for a few years collecting dust in the showrooms? People aren't that foolish.

Same with the Ford GTs in 05 and 06 (and into 07 and beyond). If they'd sold them for MSRP they would have cleared the production in a few months. As it was some dealers were selling under cost because they'd held on to the ADM and just wouldn't give it up.

Same with the Ford GTs in 05 and 06 (and into 07 and beyond). If they'd sold them for MSRP they would have cleared the production in a few months. As it was some dealers were selling under cost because they'd held on to the ADM and just wouldn't give it up.

Agreed, I remember high ADM on them and I noticed some for under msrp around that time. That would be such a great deal now, 10 years later.

When I was in the area last week, I visited a large Ford "Stealership" in North Seattle (Bill Pierre Ford) and was quite surprised to find over a dozen used and new GT350's on the lot...wow! On closer inspection, the used ones (2016's) were Base or Tech Package cars and were listed for MSRP.... for a used one... huh? All the new 2017 GT350's had a $10K ADM Sticker. I checked their Webpage and found it listed a used 2016 GT350R (at $93K... gulp!) that I wanted to see (so I could say I actually saw one in person) but it was no where to be found. The ADMs convinced me that it wasn't even worth my time to even chat with the "lot vultures", so I just left in disgust. Yup, supply and demand is real, but ADM's negatively modulate this consumer's level of interest/demand.

Happy motoring,

It's nice and all to have a cool track car to sell but how many consumers truly want one? I like what Ford did with the '11-'12 Mustang "Brembo Brake Package" and '13-'14 "Track Pack" cars. They're track capable but still streetable, reasonably priced and no extra attention or name (Shelby) attached to them where it could create collector and enthusiast demand to cause the dealers to mark them up with an ADM. I really like mine, no issues.

Secondo-you must work for MSNBC given you take quotes out of context. :)

Someone started with the current sales slump and that's not the point we were trying to focus on. We're talking about sales in general and you kept us off-track. :club:

But thanks for the insider information regarding auto manufacturer summer tactics.

LOL the same reason you did. Great track car but low on the torque for the street.

I guess you are right about the low torque thing under 4000 rpm. That was my thing. Plus @ low rpms the exhaust sound was way too raspy. Didn't have that sweet V/8 sound. So on the street it felt like a V/6 and was loud and raspy with the valves open. Even with the valves closed in tour mode they would open @ 3/4 throttle and sound raspy and loud. Felt like a teenager with aftermarket exhaust.

Edited by mach 1 1970

Not true-It started with ADM's and plant closings. My point was summer plant closings are for model changeover and not related to the slow car sales.

Exactly. We weren't trying to talk about that. We must be opposite genders or something :hysterical: