TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT350 dealer mark up backlash

"Built as the top performer in the Mustang line (for now) the GT350 and its 526-hp V-8 is a glorious machine well worth some drooling. At a base price of $48,000 for the GT350 or $61,000 for the track-prepped GT350R, the amount of performance and enjoyment comes close to vehicles at twice the pricewhich is one reason why a couple of dealers are asking for more than twice as much."

The dealer won't miss out on the market price difference. Why should they? If the dealer was forced to sell at msrp, anyone could buy them and sell for profit at market value.

What is the point of this topic? Back when the GT500 was first released in 2006, Team Shelby discouraged bashing of dealers charging adm's and confined it to one topic of what I call a "venting" about adm's. Now we have Shelby reps encouraging it?? Bad form.

The dealer won't miss out on the market price difference. Why should they? If the dealer was forced to sell at msrp, anyone could buy them and sell for profit at market value.

What is the point of this topic? Back when the GT500 was first released in 2006, Team Shelby discouraged bashing of dealers charging adm's and confined it to one topic of what I call a "venting" about adm's. Now we have Shelby reps encouraging it?? Bad form.

If dealers charged MSRP there would be no market above MSRP since, well, you can go to a dealer and buy one for MSRP. But it's supply and demand, and if there is a profit to be made above MSRP, it'll start at the dealer. The problem is that dealers have such wide variations in just how much their market will bear. Eventually the burden of the floor plan will drive it down.

Those who want to be early adopters in a limited supply and demand can expect to pay a premium.

Dodge kind of got it right for the Hellcat. Dealers got their initial round of cars, but got more based on how long the first round sat in inventory. Those who sold faster (whether that be at or above MSRP) got more cars.

Edited by twobjshelbys

Not understanding what you are saying is market value . Who would buy a new car off someone that was asking over msrp when they could go to the dealer pay msrp for a new one.

Bad form? Did I write the article?

Since Secondo believes a "Shelby Rep" can not have an opinion I guess I'll take a break from posting.

Thanks Secondo, without you I wouldn't have known how offensive my posts were. Lesson learned.

And folks wonder why there's very little presence from SAI on the forums.

Steve

Since Secondo believes a "Shelby Rep" can not have an opinion I guess I'll take a break from posting.

Thanks Secondo, without you I wouldn't have known how offensive my posts were. Lesson learned.

Steve

If he is talking about back in 2006 that would have been Stangs Unleashed , so you would be off the hook Steve. ;)

If dealers charged MSRP there would be no market above MSRP since, well, you can go to a dealer and buy one for MSRP. But it's supply and demand, and if there is a profit to be made above MSRP, it'll start at the dealer. The problem is that dealers have such wide variations in just how much their market will bear. Eventually the burden of the floor plan will drive it down.

Those who want to be early adopters in a limited supply and demand can expect to pay a premium.

Dodge kind of got it right for the Hellcat. Dealers got their initial round of cars, but got more based on how long the first round sat in inventory. Those who sold faster (whether that be at or above MSRP) got more cars.

The GT350 is a limited production vehicle so your first paragraph doesn't apply, your second paragraph does.

Not understanding what you are saying is market value . Who would buy a new car off someone that was asking over msrp when they could go to the dealer pay msrp for a new one.

The demand is more than supply, thus creating the higher market value.

Steve

It wasn't offensive, just thought it was inappropriate of you as a Shelby employee to post it. Don't take a break, it's your site, not mine and I was just stating my opinion.

If he is talking about back in 2006 that would have been Stangs Unleashed , so you would be off the hook Steve. ;)

Yes, in the GT500 Classifieds section, titled "ADM Discussions In Here!!!"

Back then, no one posted any negative or cynical remarks about the new GT500 like these days against the new GT350. it's amazing to me the amount of cynical comments on a Shelby site about it. Ford builds us a phenomenal new Shelby GT350 with Carroll's approval and some here criticize it. If there's an ADM because of the market then so be it. Be happy we have such a great car that warrants one. Wait a year or so for the prices to come down, no big deal.

Did these Ford dealers not see the backlash the Dodge dealers went thru with their Hell Cat price gouging ?

https://www.yahoo.co...-161205492.html

I know. when will the madness end?

"The Shelby Terlingua Racing Team Mustang starts at $65,999, not including the base Ford Mustang GT."

Source... http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160125006582/en/

Edited by 2007red40thGT500

It wasn't offensive, just thought it was inappropriate of you as a Shelby employee to post it. Don't take a break, it's your site, not mine and I was just stating my opinion.

Back then, no one posted any negative or cynical remarks about the new GT500 like these days against the new GT350. it's amazing to me the amount of cynical comments on a Shelby site about it. Ford builds us a phenomenal new Shelby GT350 with Carroll's approval and some here criticize it. If there's an ADM because of the market then so be it. Be happy we have such a great car that warrants one. Wait a year or so for the prices to come down, no big deal.

Can't say Mr. Shelby's approval ever came close to this car, other than the licensing agreement for the name signed years ago.

Steve

Steve, I wouldn't let Barney Fife or Frank Burns bother you. I don't ! We all know which one is which. They feel a constant need to police everyone else on this forum for having an opinion. Don't allow them the control they so feed off of ! I personally look forward to and appreciate all the contributions you make to this forum. If you stop, they win, and the rest of us lose. Don't let that happen ! Edited by cmcmotorworks

Can't say Mr. Shelby's approval ever came close to this car, other than the licensing agreement for the name signed years ago.

It is a phenomenal car. But let's all remember, it's an officially licensed "Shelby Tribute" car. Not a Shelby produced or Shelby modified car ! Edited by cmcmotorworks

It is a phenomenal car. But let's all remember, it's an officially licensed "Shelby Tribute" car. Not a Shelby produced or Shelby modified car !

'Shelby Tribute' car, you be joking! Make sure you then say that to EVERY GT500 owner including the 69-70 Shelby's!

C'mon man lets not start bashing Mustangs because of nit picking. FACT is the new GT350 Mustang is the greatest one ever produced whether Shelby, Roush, Saleen, Steeda, or Kar Kraft has had their hands on it.

Its simple, don't support any Ford dealer that has an absurd price on the GT350's. They tried this crap when the 2007 GT500's came out and stupidity won out then people having learned their lessons didn't fall for this when the 2008 GT500 KR came out as many dealers still had the car a year later. Many of these same dealers felt the same anger when the 2015 50th Annv GT came out and dealers priced these well over MSRP and over a year and a half after those came out I found at least 5 dealers who still had their cars as no one was paying that anymore. However, with the new GT350 the buyers have become stupid and some non Mustang owners have paid the markup so other dealers are standing firm. My dealer asked me if I wanted one and was going to sell to me at MSRP but I declined because Ford discriminates against those who cannot drive a manual transmission for whatever reason. When SAI decided to offer the 2015 Super Snake with an automatic Gary P. e-mailed me ahead of time to let me know, so I appreciate SAI offering the Terlingua with an Automatic and that is the only reason I am overpaying for this car, so in reality SAI is doing the same thing as many of these dealers because you are paying for the Shelby name

It is a phenomenal car. But let's all remember, it's an officially licensed "Shelby Tribute" car. Not a Shelby produced or Shelby modified car !

Your comments are incorrect. Pay attention to the people "In the know" on this forum and you would have known that Carroll knew about and approved this new GT350.

Ya your right on about the GT 500 remarks back then & also the G.T 350 is an awesome car, I was fortunate enough to be able to drive one.

Steve

I greatly appreciate your posts, including this one. Keep them coming please.

This mark up crap on vehicles could be stopped by the manufacturer.

Not legally.

Ford Motor issues the MSRP and the dealers can do as they please. Dealer allocation is based on day supply and sales history (+ some politics).

If GT350s pile up on a dealers lot they will not get additional orders/allocation filled.

I was the Ford Division LA District Field Manager in '87-'88 we had several South Bay dealers marking up the new '88 Mustang GT. The longer they sat the slower the orders were filled.

.......not picking a side on this discussion really.....but just wanted to weigh in as an early buyer of an 07 GT500 and a heavy participant of many mustang/shelby forums from 05 on.........

and yes....I paid over sticker for mine....

there was actually quite a lot of unhappiness, discussion and disgust with the adm back then, just as there is now with the GT350. No one ever likes paying more than they think is fair, and no one likes the rich guys being able to write big checks without giving a second thought to it. I acknowledge that this is the way it works in a capitalistic society, but still wish that there was a way for those of moderate income to have a decent chance of obtaining a high demand product like the gt350.

just wanted to give my perspective about the way things were back then, and reassure everyone that complaining about adms is nothing new or special.

of course I could also get you folks stirred up about a common thought back then that we would have preferred for ford to leave off the shelby name, just calling it an svt product, and drop the price by the cost of the licensing fee....ginning.

The '15-'16 GT350 has the newest technology (and therefore probably the quickest lap times out of the box) of any Mustang to date. And so far, technology not available from any other upfitter.

it is a great car........wish I had the ability to put one in the garage. The only negative for me is that it shows its strength on a track, and that is not one of my hobbies. For my type of driving the hp and torque on the GT350 is a little too high in the rpm range for my liking. But the vehicle is extremely sophisticated.